PDA

View Full Version : Favorite ready position?

TGS
04-15-2011, 09:03 AM
First off, hi! My name is Tyler......I found out about this forum from gtmtnbiker98. I got a chance to meet some of you at Todd's last SK course in Culpeper a few weeks ago, namely "JV" and "TCinVa."

High ready, compressed ready, just wondering which one you prefer and why.

I've found the high ready(front sight aligned with eye to threat area) to be awkward while moving, standing, and to press from. I find a compressed ready much more comfortable, especially since the gun is closer to my chest and in a more advantageous position for retention. Also, if in contact distance I can still shoot from compressed ready and hit the target compared to high-ready where the gun is pointing almost 45* upward.

What about you? What reasons why? Just looking to see if there's anything else I should be considering.

Jay Cunningham
04-15-2011, 09:06 AM
They both have their applications...

greyghost
04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
The terminology sometimes is so confusing...

High compressed ready, high ready, compressed ready, third-eye....ack

irishshooter
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
kneeling operator position. if you see him in this position you are already dead
http://giveupinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dont-worry-sir-im-from-internet.jpg

gtmtnbiker98
04-15-2011, 11:36 AM
kneeling operator position. if you see him in this position you are already dead
http://giveupinternet.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/dont-worry-sir-im-from-internet.jpgThis adds to the thread in what way?

Hey Tyler,

Glad you made it over here. For me, the ready position is situation dependent. At the range and during drills, I always come back to a compressed ready (nature of habit). During competition, prior to unloading and showing clear, I'm always at a high ready, so that the RO/SO can observe the condition of my chamber prior to holstering. So I guess I use a combination of three ready positions and again, based upon my situation at the time.

irishshooter
04-15-2011, 12:29 PM
This adds to the thread in what way?
:confused: a laugh on a friday :confused:

TGS
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
The terminology sometimes is so confusing...

High compressed ready, high ready, compressed ready, third-eye....ack

Yeah, definitely, I know what you mean. My pistol training so far includes qual'ing a few times in the USMC, John Murhpy's CCSD and ACSD, and TLG's Speed Kills. I've seen different terminology throughout all of those used by students.....another one I read was "contact ready" but that was from a Saurez book that John gave me.

Still, I've seen a lot of students with really sloppy stances/positions and funny enough it seems to correlate directly with who shoots well and who doesn't so I do feel it's something that a lot of people need addressed. One of the things we talked about in John's CCSD was the psychological factor in presenting a hard target to the threat with your body language, and strangely enough someone in a text-book compressed ready or high ready is a world more intimidating than someone doing the "akimbo-ready."

Something about seeing your opponent squared-up, shoulders hunched, knee's bent, ready for a fight is wired into all animals' brains as, "FML." So I think it goes beyond pure shooting technique as well.

I think a lot of people are cheating themselves big-time by going straight from NRA Handgun 101 to Aim Fast Hit Fast either out of hubris or simple ignorance and not getting these positions.

mnealtx
04-15-2011, 05:01 PM
straight from NRA Handgun 101 to Aim Fast Hit Fast either out of hubris or simple ignorance and not getting these positions.

What would go in the middle to get up to speed for something like AFHF?

NRA Handgun 101

AFHF

orionz06
04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I guess it would depend where you are at and where you can point the gun.

Odin Bravo One
04-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Ready positions really depend on what your goal is. If it is to be a well rounded tactical shooter, your needs will be different than those of a competition shooter.

Ready positions are a tactical decision and situation based technique. Having a "favorite" is probably a bad idea as it lends itself to being a "default" or "go to" technique that may or may not be appropriate to the circumstances at hand.

Understanding the WHY behind a technique or ready position, and being able to identify which positions give you which advantages and disadvantages under various conditions probably has more practical application than a "favorite".

Jay Cunningham
04-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Sean, if this was Facebook I would "like" your post!

DocGKR
04-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Sean--Well said! You need to start running some training classes...

Odin Bravo One
04-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Doc......until I can convince the powers that be to let me stay longer than 4 consecutive nights at a time in my own bed, I'll have to stick with being an AI for now. Maybe someday, but no time in the foreseeable future anyway.

Odin Bravo One
04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Wow......can of worms.

Much better demonstrated than typed out, as we are visual creatures and I am more knuckle dragging retard than SME. However, that said, I will try to articulate a few of the more common ones and see how it turns out. I'll post it up once I get a few people to proof what I put together.