PDA

View Full Version : TulAmmo Questions

Panoply
02-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Hello Y'all,

I got a sweet deal on a moderate amount of some 115g 9mm FMJ TulAmmo ammo. I'd never have bought this crap, but times, they are tough - especially if you like to shoot a lot. My question is this, what are the negative effects of using this Urals ammo? They are berdan primed (good) but use a steel casing (?). Because of the steel, I recognize they can't be stored nearly as long as good ole brass, but they'll be gone in a month. So is this ammo kosher for using? What issues might I run into? Should I become even more neurotic about cleaning? My only 9mm is my brand new CZ 75 P07 Duty. This gun will surely have no trouble using them up, I just want to make sure there are no unknown issues.

Thanks!
Pano

Tamara
02-08-2013, 08:40 AM
I had extremely bad results (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5640-TulAmmo-v-M-amp-P9&highlight=tulammo) with TulAmmo in my M&P9. The coating on the cases had lots of "stiction" and kept wanting to bind the column of rounds up in the mag, causing Type I malfunctions on practically every round.

orionz06
02-08-2013, 08:56 AM
I've had almost no issues using it other than the cases having a little more friction forces between them. This is easily resolved by dumping the rounds into an ammo can and giving a light squirt of your favorite light lube. Amsoil Metal Protectant did the trick for me for 1,500 rounds without issue.

ST911
02-08-2013, 09:47 AM
A few hundred of it went through my new gen4 G19 and G26 without a problem (~100 or so at a time). Simple handling of the ammo left my hands filthy. The inside of the gun was a mess, but it worked.

It's been in and out of stock pretty regularly at Walmart, $9.99 or $10.99/50.

JMS
02-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Yeah, a tupperware container, a silicon rag, pour in rounds, and shake a few times; that'll slick up those casings enough for them to behave. Lots of ways to reduce the friction of steel casings, if one is willing to take a couple of extra steps.

However, I've never been a fan of the level of incidence of squibs I've found in Tula pistol ammo; more in .45 than in 9, but 3 of them in the same LOT is bad....there's not a word strong enough to describe 3 in the same bloody 50rnd box. :mad: More than once. Even if it was simply a matter of the babushka in the factory being completely sauced on Victory Vodka that week, only, it was enough to shoo me off of Tula forever, though I'll still deign to use Wolf in the absence of anything brass-cased.

If you get it, if at any time you feel reduced recoil or more of a "pop" than a "bang," DON'T pull the trigger again. Check the barrel for obstruction.

abu fitna
02-08-2013, 03:02 PM
I have run thousands of rounds of this ammo through M&P, Glock and HK platforms. No issues, other than the occasional bad primer (one per few thousand, seems to be specific to lots between '08 - '10 thus far, but your mileage may vary.)

As many have noted, ammo can be dirty, and copper fouling can build up over time worse than with other ammo types.

Kyle Reese
02-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Shoots just fine in my Gen 4 17, but would choke my M&P 9's. Try a box or two and see if your gun likes it before proceeding further.

Ray Keith
02-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Shoot tons of it with no issues in various 9mm. Use tons of their primers as well.

Panoply
02-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll lube 'em up and use 'em up. As I'm already a bit of an over-cleaner, no worries there.

THANKS!