PDA

View Full Version : Does this make me a bad person?

Tamara
02-08-2013, 07:56 AM
Normally, my tastes in firearms run in only two directions: Practical, or collectible. If a gun isn't one that I have an actual use for, or isn't a bona fide blue-chip appreciating antique, my eyes kinds glaze over.

But this right here (http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2602), this hits me right in my gun nerd wheelhouse. It has absolutely no practical use whatsoever, but I want it as badly as any dumb gun I've seen since the first time I laid eyes on those .22LR StG-44 clones...

EDIT: OH GOD SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY (http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/815)!

Ga Shooter
02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
The shotgun is VERY practical. AS long as you ride some sort of motorcylce in an end of the world/Road Warrior scenario. You must be prepared for everything and anything!! Look how useful it was for Mel Gibson.:cool:

JRas
02-08-2013, 09:11 AM
The shotgun is VERY practical. AS long as you ride some sort of motorcylce in an end of the world/Road Warrior scenario. You must be prepared for everything and anything!! Look how useful it was for Mel Gibson.:cool:

Vice President Joe Biden agrees, easier to use than assault weapons duh ;-)

to op: Plenty of people collect guns, nothing wrong with it. It's a tool for me so I'd rather have a modern more efficent weapon system. Look at people who collect classic cars

Tamara
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
It's a tool for me so I'd rather have a modern more efficent weapon system. Look at people who collect classic cars

Yup. They don't even have daily drivers; they just take their Model T's to work... ;)

Dude, just because somebody has a collection of classic tools doesn't mean that they don't have tools they use, too. (Although I'd never call the M&P on my hip a 'weapon system' for fear I'd sound a total dork. :p )

RoyGBiv
02-08-2013, 09:31 AM
That shotgun makes my hand hurt just looking at it..
But I sure do like it. :cool:

NETim
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Does this make me a bad person?

Not necessarily a "bad" person but an unsafe one. Both firearms are capable of holding more than two rounds. Tactical Joe says more than that and you're not as safe.

LHS
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
That's cool and all, but... Chiappa. Might as well buy a Taurus with 100K rounds through it.

Now, if you want to get into stupid yet awesome impractical guns... http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_36/pistols-howdah-hunter-howdah-hunter-kombo.html

Tamara
02-08-2013, 09:36 AM
That's cool and all, but... Chiappa. Might as well buy a Taurus with 100K rounds through it.

Now, if you want to get into stupid yet awesome impractical guns... http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/sche...ter-kombo.html

The Eye-talian firearms industry is pretty incestuous. Odds are good that the historical replicas peddled in the U.S. under the Chiappa name are Pedersolis themselves.

Besides, what's the worst that happens if it malfs? The soda cans will overrun my position?

EMC
02-08-2013, 09:41 AM

I was thinking the same. Shooting lizards off rocks and hand grenading bunnies. "You get me a baby Hi!".

LittleLebowski
02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
A redhead Zoe......yeah, I think it could work.

NickA
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Needs a bigger hoop so you can go all Terminator 2 with it.

jon volk
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
If civilization collapses tomorrow, I'm buying an el camino and wielding a pair of those shotguns. :)

LHS
02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
The Eye-talian firearms industry is pretty incestuous. Odds are good that the historical replicas peddled in the U.S. under the Chiappa name are Pedersolis themselves.

Besides, what's the worst that happens if it malfs? The soda cans will overrun my position?

Them soda cans run in 12-packs, I hear.

jetfire
02-08-2013, 10:23 AM
those .22LR StG-44 clones...

Have you seen the cases they ship those things in? It just screams "Indiana Jones adventure time."

http://gunnuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/IMG-20120924-00725.jpg

LHS
02-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Have you seen the cases they ship those things in? It just screams "Indiana Jones adventure time."

http://gunnuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/IMG-20120924-00725.jpg

I so want one of those, but they've turned into unobtanium (and the mags even worse). Plus, I wasn't exactly thrilled at the level of quality in my GSG-5.

John Ralston
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM
I assume that is an AOW, looks pretty short. Still fun though!

My version of that Mare's Leg is in the works...

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/fireman1291/DSC03217.jpg

LHS
02-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I assume that is an AOW, looks pretty short. Still fun though!

Actually, I believe it's legal as a title 1 firearm. It's got an 18.5" bbl, and is just over 26" overall length. Basically, it's treated the same as a pistol-grip, stockless Mossberg cruiser gun.

John Ralston
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Actually, I believe it's legal as a title 1 firearm. It's got an 18.5" bbl, and is just over 26" overall length. Basically, it's treated the same as a pistol-grip, stockless Mossberg cruiser gun.

Cool...no paperwork makes it even more appealing.

JRas
02-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Yup. They don't even have daily drivers; they just take their Model T's to work... ;)

Dude, just because somebody has a collection of classic tools doesn't mean that they don't have tools they use, too. (Although I'd never call the M&P on my hip a 'weapon system' for fear I'd sound a total dork. :p )

Not around here, these guys only drive them on Sundays or to car shows. It's like "motorcycle riders"... more like weekend warrior Harley rider

What is the purpose of classic tools, if you're not going to use them? I have some old Craftsman tools of my Dads, however if I'm doing work I'll use my tools.

Agreed on weapon systems, don't use the word often felt it sounded better than 'guns'.

Mitchell, Esq.
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Does this make me a bad person?

Not necessarily a "bad" person but an unsafe one. Both firearms are capable of holding more than two rounds. Tactical Joe says more than that and you're not as safe.

It's "Biden Tactical", thank you.

Tamara
02-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Not around here, these guys only drive them on Sundays or to car shows.

I was being sardonic about the Model Ts. ;) I was more referring to the fact that someone can have a garage full of impractical antique cars, and still have a practical car that they drive every day. :cool:

What is the purpose of classic tools, if you're not going to use them?

Some people enjoy tools in and of themselves and appreciate significant examples of tool history, some people collect old planes or Yankee screwdrivers or bit braces because they like the variety and craftsmanship of the old things, and some people even use their old tools every now and again for little tinkering projects, but it doesn't mean that for serious work they won't reach for the Milwaukee or the DeWalt.

Chuck Haggard
02-09-2013, 05:11 PM
I'll leave this right here...

https://www.buffaloarms.com/56_50_Armi_Spencer_Ammunition_it-158096.aspx?CAT=4444

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/515546/ten-x-cowboy-ammunition-56-50-spencer-350-grain-round-nose-flat-point-box-of-50

Jay Cunningham
02-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Normally, my tastes in firearms run in only two directions: Practical, or collectible. If a gun isn't one that I have an actual use for, or isn't a bona fide blue-chip appreciating antique, my eyes kinds glaze over.

But this right here (http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2602), this hits me right in my gun nerd wheelhouse. It has absolutely no practical use whatsoever, but I want it as badly as any dumb gun I've seen since the first time I laid eyes on those .22LR StG-44 clones...

EDIT: OH GOD SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY (http://www.chiappafirearms.com/product/815)!

Being a blogger makes you a bad person.

TGS
02-09-2013, 08:31 PM
So.....

Has anyone here ever fired a 12ga single handed?

How was that experience?

John Ralston
02-09-2013, 08:35 PM
So.....

How was that experience?

Search Youtube - lots of vids of people doing that.

Tamara
02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
So.....

How was that experience?

Yes.

There's a story.

It ends with a snake being launched into a tree.

Ga Shooter
02-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes.

There's a story.

It ends with a snake being launched into a tree.

Do tell.

JAD
02-09-2013, 11:14 PM
. Basically, it's treated the same as a pistol-grip, stockless Mossberg cruiser gun.

With disdain?

Chuck Haggard
02-10-2013, 12:20 AM
So.....

How was that experience?

A bit painful mostly, but that was the fault of the crappy design of the grip that the Mossbergs come with. The Pachmayr grip makes things far more pleasant.

pax
02-10-2013, 04:45 AM

How was that experience?

Yeah.

Painful, but do-able. I could do it again if I needed to.

pax

Tamara
02-10-2013, 07:30 AM
With disdain?

In the case of the Mossberg, not nearly enough disdain. I saw one of those things with the fruity, elaborate two-pound "muzzle brake" and the "chainsaw forearm (http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/500-special-purpose/500-chainsaw)" and threw up in my mouth a little.

NETim
02-10-2013, 08:51 AM
In the case of the Mossberg, not nearly enough disdain. I saw one of those things with the fruity, elaborate two-pound "muzzle brake" and the "chainsaw forearm (http://www.mossberg.com/products/shotguns/500-special-purpose/500-chainsaw)" and threw up in my mouth a little.

But it has a tactical barrel!!

Drang
02-10-2013, 11:14 AM

The rationale--which I'm not sure I buy--is that the "chainsaw" forearm makes the "operator" hold the gun in the proper position for breeching; Mossberg got into breeching barrels in a big way because Uncle Sugar was providing each Stryker vehicle with a 590 or 500 w/breeching barrels.
(At least one brigade's worth, anyway, and the source of this intel was a %BVal, possible Gunstore Commando. OTOH, gun stores in the Seattle/Tacoma area were selling a lot of 500s, 590s, and 870s with breeching barrels to guys with short haircuts. Maybe "providing" was an exaggeration, and "authorizing" was the word.)

LHS
02-11-2013, 12:29 PM
With disdain?

/Thread.

Chuck Haggard
02-11-2013, 03:57 PM
The rationale--which I'm not sure I buy--is that the "chainsaw" forearm makes the "operator" hold the gun in the proper position for breeching; Mossberg got into breeching barrels in a big way because Uncle Sugar was providing each Stryker vehicle with a 590 or 500 w/breeching barrels.
(At least one brigade's worth, anyway, and the source of this intel was a %BVal, possible Gunstore Commando. OTOH, gun stores in the Seattle/Tacoma area were selling a lot of 500s, 590s, and 870s with breeching barrels to guys with short haircuts. Maybe "providing" was an exaggeration, and "authorizing" was the word.)

I've actually done quite a bit of breaching, mostly training but some on live hits. That retarded ass grip in no way assists with breaching.

Drang
02-11-2013, 04:06 PM

I've actually done quite a bit of breaching, mostly training but some on live hits. That retarded ass grip in no way assists with breaching.

I bow to your superior experience.

LHS
02-11-2013, 04:47 PM
So.....

How was that experience?

Yes, as a demonstration that they don't recoil as harshly as everyone on the internet seems to claim. That said, it was a full-size 870, not a cut-down gun.

It was fine. No pain, no discomfort. I wouldn't even try to actually hit anything like that, but there was no problem just touching off a round.

Al T.
02-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Uncle Sugar was providing each Stryker vehicle with a 590 or 500 w/breeching barrel

I was astonished at the number of PG shotguns I saw in Iraq. Gunners on HMMV's seemed to like them for warning off aggressive drivers as an escalation of force.

SecondsCount
02-17-2013, 12:27 AM
So.....

How was that experience?

Are we talking pistol grip or full length gun?

I have shot my Mossberg 590A1 with the butt in the crook of my arm effectively. My other hand was holding the flashlight.

TGS
02-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Are we talking pistol grip or full length gun?

I have shot my Mossberg 590A1 with the butt in the crook of my arm effectively. My other hand was holding the flashlight.

I wasn't specific (my b), but in the context of this thread being pistol gripped and/or SBS.

Tamara
02-17-2013, 06:21 AM
No $#!+, there I was...

I was working at my very first gun store, back in the early '90s, and had just bought a 20" Mossie 500 eight-shooter and, like every twenty-something Mossenberger owner does, I ditched the buttstock for the pistol grip that is handily provided in the box so you can make your gun look cool and yourself like an ignorant dork.

I was renting a room from my boss in his lakefront house at the time, which was awesome because lakefront house, but had its downsides, such as carpooling to work with the boss made it hard to call in sick and go jet-skiing.

So the day I bought the gun, I ride home in the boss's truck, cheerfully coonfingering my shiny new gat in the box in my lap. We arrive home, get out of the truck, boss goes to let the doberman out of the back, when I see it! Right there, coiled in the driveway is ten inches of fanged death! And the curious dog was headed right for it...

"Hold Obie!" I yell, "Even the babies are venomous!"

The boss grabbed the dog and pulled it back. I grabbed the Persuader and slid a round of the store's cheapest low-brass #7.5 birdshot into the magazine tube, and then worked the shotgun's action with the sound of doom, the dreaded "ka-CHAK!" which would have sent the snake scurrying for safety, if the snake had the brains of a 200-lb armed robber on crack.

Checking my backstop, I moved around so as to fire in a safe direction and, I guess for heightened dramatic effect, extended the shotgun in one hand until the muzzle, wavering from the firm grip of my pipestem forearm, was maybe two feet from the snake...

BLAAMMO!

The shot column struck the driveway, which was angled downhill away from me and towards the lake, and angled off in a perpendicular direction as ricochets are wont to do, scooping the snake up more-or-less intact and depositing it in the honeysuckle about eight feet up a tree.

Elation surged through me. I had saved the dog! I'd defended the fort! I'd saved us all from certain scaled death!

I had not even returned the shotgun to its box when a friend of ours, a postman who was both a gun nut and amateur herpetology buff, came strolling down the drive. "Gary!" I hollered, ears still slightly ringing, "Look up in that tree over there! Check out that rattlesnake that Obie found!"

"How did it get up in the tree?" he asked, reasonably.

"I shot it and that's where it landed."

He went to do a postmortem on our antagonist.

It was a corn snake, of course.

I console myself by realizing that Obie probably would have killed the thing anyway.

Chuck Haggard
02-17-2013, 11:17 AM
You shot a corn snake?

Why?

Tamara
02-17-2013, 11:48 AM
You shot a corn snake?

Why?

Because I thought it was a rattlesnake? And I was young and excitable and had just bought a shotgun?

I'm a lot calmer about snakes these days. Heck, I even had a ball python for a pet there for a while.

JAD
02-17-2013, 11:54 AM
You shot a corn snake?

Why?

Ts;dt

Too scary; didn't taxonomize.

Tamara
02-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Ts;dt

Too scary; didn't taxonomize.

Gunsmith Bob once asked me, in a Socratic tone, "Tamara, there are only two kinds of spiders we kill. Do you know which two kinds they are?"

To which I replied "Yeah, ones that are on me, and ones that are trying to get on me."

Chuck Haggard
02-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Because I thought it was a rattlesnake? .

This part cracks me up.

Sad for the snake though.

I specifically leave corn snakes alone, they eat lots of mice and rats, which carry fleas, which carry really bad hee-bee-gee-bees that can kill you in really horrible ways. Hence, corn snakes good because verim bad.

Chuck Haggard
02-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I was astonished at the number of PG shotguns I saw in Iraq. Gunners on HMMV's seemed to like them for warning off aggressive drivers as an escalation of force.

Back in the day a number of hooah troopers I knew in the 82nd kept PG shotguns, theory being that if you are hanging in a tree that you can use it to shoot people on the ground trying to shoot you, and as kind of a BUG if your M16 went down, or for MOUT. They fit rather nicely muzzle down in a large Alice ruck.

Al T.
02-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Yep. Buddies of mine in 1/75 did something similar - tying off a handgun behind their reserve.

Back to the original question - yes, I have fired a PGO shotgun (12 ga) one handed. Once. It was an 870 with the truly hideous factory over the top folding stock which I promptly removed and replaced.

On the other paw, I picked up a 20 ga PGO that was darn nice to shoot. Gave it to a girl friend.

Tamara
07-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Got my hands on one of those Chiappa Spencers (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2014/07/something-old-something-new.html), FWIW.

Shooting is underway.

Tamara
07-13-2014, 12:26 PM
The Spencer feed mechanism is sensitive to both bullet shape and COAL. The flat-pointed style of LRN is recommended for best feeding and safety in the tube mag.

jlw
07-13-2014, 12:33 PM

That Spencer in .45 Colt is screaming to be my new patrol rifle.

will_1400
07-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Worked well for Arnie when in 10 gauge (Terminator 2). :cool:

45dotACP
07-15-2014, 09:26 PM
Got my hands on one of those Chiappa Spencers (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2014/07/something-old-something-new.html), FWIW.

Shooting is underway.

Dude, YES! But needs more 56-50. Because Louis L'amour. Part of me wants to get a Walch Navy revolver and a Spencer 56-50, but for me, finding and affording a Walch would be even less likely than winning several lotteries in a row.

will_1400
07-16-2014, 05:23 PM
Not sure of the quality, but it may be better than the Chiappa.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/shotguns/1887-lever-action-shotgun/1887-bootleg-lever-action-shotgun-12-gauge-18-5-barrel.html

will_1400
07-16-2014, 06:04 PM
That is the Chiappa. Look at the manufacturer listed on the Specs tab.

Well kitten. And here I thought I found a possibly better alternative.

ETA: backup plan: see if Mr. Riehl is willing to take one apart and work it over.

Charlie Foxtrot
07-16-2014, 07:26 PM
No $#!+, there I was...

... had just bought a 20" Mossie 500 eight-shooter and, like every twenty-something Mossenberger owner does, I ditched the buttstock for the pistol grip that is handily provided in the box so you can make your gun look cool and yourself like an ignorant dork.

Oh, good: I'm not the only one.

I tried my pistol grip Mossy 590 on the skeet range in front of about 20 friends, hangers on and various random skeeters for extra style points. I chucked in a cheap hunting load, hung it at my waist, and proceeded to rock-out like an action hero. For one shot.

I lost my grip on the slide, the damn thing pivoted up and the 20" barrel smacked me in my lower lip.

I had to quit in deference to my "friends", who were having trouble breathing and laughing.

The pistol grip came off that night.

JHC
07-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Hickok seems to enjoy it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWX9_lWUPI