PDA

View Full Version : Got my S&W M&P 10 308

Little Creek
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
It is the LE/Optics Ready version. It came with one PMAG 20 LR. I took a Magpul ACS buttstock off one of my AR-15 style carbines and put in on. The trigger is not bad for a mil spec type trigger. The ambi stuff (mag release, bolt release, safety) is great. Looking to put a MOE+ grip and a MOE midlength handguard on it.

Chemsoldier
02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
I covet...

JM Campbell
02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Pics or it isn't true :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

EMC
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Range report please.

Little Creek
02-07-2013, 04:03 PM
If I knew how, I would post pictures.

Kyle Reese
02-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Got any ammo for it?:cool:

Al T.
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
One of those may be on my list. Please let us know how it runs. :)

Odin Bravo One
02-07-2013, 06:59 PM
If I knew how, I would post pictures.

Open a free account at something like Photobucket, to host your pictures, and be able to direct link them on forums, and other internet locations without bogging down the owner's servers, etc.

jlw
02-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Several of our guys have bought them (probably from the same shop).

I was tempted, very tempted.

Little Creek
02-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Got any ammo for it?:cool:

I do have some 308 150 grain deer hunting ammo. I am not much into match grade ammo, I go mostly for ammo that is accurate enough and has good terminal ballistics. My range is 200 yards and a very long shot at deer for me is 300 yards. It is also my policy to have ammo for a gun before I buy it. I also have a Ruger GSR. I think I like the M&P 10 better. I have noticed that everything about the M&P 10 is very "heavy duty" compared to the AR-15 5.56 clones.

Little Creek
02-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Open a free account at something like Photobucket, to host your pictures, and be able to direct link them on forums, and other internet locations without bogging down the owner's servers, etc.

Thanks, I will try that when I get a chance.

JHC
02-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Several of our guys have bought them (probably from the same shop).

I was tempted, very tempted.

What is the street price round'about?

Little Creek
02-08-2013, 09:57 PM
What is the street price round'about?

I am told the OR version retails for $1650. I was also told that the LE individual officer price for the OR version is about $1150. The LE OR version may be the only version shipping at this time. I was also told the Magpul version with Troy BUIS is about $200+ more than the OR version. I have no idea about the street price. I just wish I coud find some MagPul PMAG 20 LR 308 magazines.

Little Creek
02-08-2013, 10:20 PM

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/mmcinnis123/photo_zps57f60193.jpg

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y399/mmcinnis123/MampP10photo_zpsefbdb5f4.jpg

I hope these links work.

Odin Bravo One
02-08-2013, 10:47 PM
I am not much into match grade ammo, I go mostly for ammo that is accurate enough and has good terminal ballistics.

In .308, accurate and hammer ballistics go together pretty well.

I still have a handful of Federal Gold Medal Match that I recently found. As well as some 175 grain SMK OTM loaded by Black Hills.

If you have 1:10 twist barrel, it will really like the 168's and 175's.

Let me know where I can ship a few boxes to, and I will get some out when I get off of this trip.

Little Creek
02-10-2013, 01:01 PM
I sent you a PM.
In .308, accurate and hammer ballistics go together pretty well.

I still have a handful of Federal Gold Medal Match that I recently found. As well as some 175 grain SMK OTM loaded by Black Hills.

If you have 1:10 twist barrel, it will really like the 168's and 175's.

Let me know where I can ship a few boxes to, and I will get some out when I get off of this trip.

Kyle Reese
02-10-2013, 01:07 PM
Nice rifle, LC.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

JM Campbell
02-10-2013, 01:30 PM
I was 6 feet away from one at my range...could not touch as they were marked for LEO sale only which I think is BS. Good for ONE, Good for ALL.

Little Creek
02-10-2013, 03:41 PM
I was 6 feet away from one at my range...could not touch as they were marked for LEO sale only which I think is BS. Good for ONE, Good for ALL.

I think the only difference between the OR LE model and the other one is the size of the magazine. The LE guy can probably get a better deal from his LE distributor than a non LE guy can get on the street.

Little Creek
02-10-2013, 03:56 PM
Fired the M&P 10 26 times today out of the PMAG 308 20 LR. I loaded it 3-5 rounds at a time, no malfunctions. It shot it with a Leupold Prismatic, all I have at the monent. I will mount a 3x9 or 4x16 late next week when I get the mounts. I shot 1 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with a 1X scope with a dot that is probably 3 MOA or larger. Also did I mention each shot hurt like hell.

For one who is used to a DDM4V7lw, the recoil is huge. I recently had to switch from left shoulder to right shoulder because of eye trouble. Had surgery on the right shoulder about 40 years ago, left a hole with no padding where the buttstock meets the shoulder. No issues with the 5.56, hurts like hell with the 308/150. I plan to get the .7" recoil pad for the Magpul ACS buttstock. I am sure a heavier scope will help mitigate recoil. I also "must" get a muzzle brake, if I am to continue down this path. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Haraise
02-10-2013, 04:00 PM
You care about blasting people on your sides? If not, a competition chambered style one would be really effective. Just look at what three gun people are using.

The BABC is going to help with rise more than recoil. Not sure of any hybrids that would help you out there without being blasty.

JM Campbell
02-10-2013, 04:47 PM
BCM has a new one for 5.56. You might want to check them out to see if a 7.62 is available.

TGS
02-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Fired the M&P 10 26 times today out of the PMAG 308 20 LR. I loaded it 3-5 rounds at a time, no malfunctions. It shot it with a Leupold Prismatic, all I have at the monent. I will mount a 3x9 or 4x16 late next week when I get the mounts. I shot 1 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100 yds with a 1X scope with a dot that is probably 3 MOA or larger. Also did I mention each shot hurt like hell.

For one who is used to a DDM4V7lw, the recoil is huge. I recently had to switch from left shoulder to right shoulder because of eye trouble. Had surgery on the right shoulder about 40 years ago, left a hole with no padding where the buttstock meets the shoulder. No issues with the 5.56, hurts like hell with the 308/150. I plan to get the .7" recoil pad for the Magpul ACS buttstock. I am sure a heavier scope will help mitigate recoil. I also "must" get a muzzle brake, if I am to continue down this path. Anyone have any suggestions? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Given that your shoulder is missing natural padding, my first thought would be to replace the padding...but do so with the sort of recoil pad that you wear on your shoulder, rather than replacing a recoil pad on the stock.

PAST recoil pads have a great rep, and you wouldn't have to worry about firing other guns that you don't have set up specifically for you.

Little Creek
02-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Given that your shoulder is missing natural padding, my first thought would be to replace the padding...but do so with the sort of recoil pad that you wear on your shoulder, rather than replacing a recoil pad on the stock.

PAST recoil pads have a great rep, and you wouldn't have to worry about firing other guns that you don't have set up specifically for you.

I ordered a PAST Super Mag Plus Shield from Midway. It came today. I expect it to help.

I also got an Magpul Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad, .7" thick, for the ACS stock. Every little bit should help.

The Leupold mount also came today. I will mount a scope and hopefully shoot some good groups on Saturday.

SLG
02-13-2013, 09:38 PM
I ordered a PAST Super Mag Plus Shield from Midway. It came today. I expect it to help.

I also got an Magpul Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad, .7" thick, for the ACS stock. Every little bit should help.

The Leupold mount also came today. I will mount a scope and hopefully shoot some good groups on Saturday.

I doubt the scope will make any noticeable difference at all in the felt recoil. Then again, your shoulder is now built differently than mine. I also do not notice a difference with the .7 magpul pad, but maybe you will. A Surefire Muzzle Break makes a huge difference for me. Nice to add a can as well. Please let us know how accurate the gun is when you get a good scope and recoil reducing set up going on it. Flinching is not conducive to good groups;-)

Little Creek
02-17-2013, 06:55 AM
I doubt the scope will make any noticeable difference at all in the felt recoil. Then again, your shoulder is now built differently than mine. I also do not notice a difference with the .7 magpul pad, but maybe you will. A Surefire Muzzle Break makes a huge difference for me. Nice to add a can as well. Please let us know how accurate the gun is when you get a good scope and recoil reducing set up going on it. Flinching is not conducive to good groups;-)

Between the PAST Super Magnum Plus (1" thick), the .7 veltilated pad (althought it is hard), and the added weight of the scope, the recoil of the M&P 10 no longer hurts my damaged shoulder. I shot one group yesterday after sighting in. It was 5 shots in 1 3/4" at 100 yards with 150 grain PSP deer hunting bullets. The PSPs did flatten out in the magazine. I will try some JHPs soon. I believe the rifle will do much better once I figure out how to shoot it off a bench rest.