PDA

View Full Version : Target Air Rifle Recommendations

John Ralston
02-06-2013, 10:59 PM
My daughter is going to join the local junior rifle team and I want to find an air rifle for her to practice with. The team has Crosman Challengers for the team to use, and I could certainly go that route, but I thought I would see what else is out there (I am not an air rifle guy). The one drawback I see to the Crosman is that it uses a tank, which must be charged and I am not sure what additional expense that adds.

Nate
02-07-2013, 07:19 AM
If the team uses Challengers, then buying her one of those would be a good option. Plus, that way she has *hers*, and can get used to the peculiarities of the gun, which is something of a concern in Sporter-class air rifle shooting. A lot of shooting good sporter scores is managing the gun itself, such as the backlash in the sights. The more time she spends behind her gun, the better she'll do with those challenges--to say nothing of the benefit of actually working on refining her position with the gun she'll actually be shooting. You can train fundamentals with a different gun, but if she's going to be competing with a Challenger, then she should practice with one, too. To translate to the language of this site, imagine doing all your drills and practice with a 1911, but your carry (and competition gun) is a black plastic striker fired one. You'd probably be better off doing the 1911 practice than no practice at all... but I think I can safely say that everyone here would strongly suggest that you practice with your carry/competition gun instead. Same in precision round target shooting, but, if anything, the change from one gun to another is even more challenging to manage than with the pistol.

You can get yourself a SCUBA tank and use it to fill the gun, but I'm pretty sure the Challenger can run off CO2 cartridges as well as compressed air.

Or, if the team shoots in the Precision class (but happens to have Sporter-legal guns for the team), consider getting a proper "Precision" class air gun, if budget allows. They'll be noticeably more accurate, have better sights, adjust better, etc.

John Ralston
02-07-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info Nate. You are correct about the gun using CO2 as well - didn't occur to me that it was the cartridges.

Can you point me to web site that discusses the difference between sporter and precision class?

Nate
02-07-2013, 10:37 AM
This looks like a decent explanation: http://www.nrablog.com/post/2009/07/02/Sporter-versus-Precision-whats-the-difference.aspx

Short version: precision is much, much less limited. (but the rules are generally modeled after the ISSF, which is run by a bunch of Europeans, and they sure love their rules...)
Sporter is limited in what guns are allowed (I think there might be an allowed list, or maybe it was a price ceiling, can't remember), the characteristics of the guns (more restricted weight, restricted trigger pull), the shooting equipment (no special coats/pants/shoes like those in precision), and probably others.

Here's the CMP's rulebook for air rifle: http://www.odcmp.com/3p/rules.pdf

If your daughter is shooting in the precision class and budget allows, a proper "precision" air rifle and shooting coat/pants/shoes is a *huge* advantage. For example: a guy I've shot with many times set (while still in high school) a sporter rifle national record of 199-19X. Meaning no one has ever shot a clean score of 200 in prone. He has shot (on many occasions) a clean score of 200 (and plenty of 590+ out of 600) with a precision air rifle (under international rules, which are similar to precision).

John Ralston
02-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks Nate.

As a side note, while looking at the Crosman Chalanger (which is Sporter Class approved apparently)...I found this, which fits an AR lower (like an SPR with a Giesselle DMR Trigger ;) ) http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/MAR177

Nate
02-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks Nate.

As a side note, while looking at the Crosman Chalanger (which is Sporter Class approved apparently)...I found this, which fits an AR lower (like an SPR with a Giesselle DMR Trigger ;) ) http://www.crosman.com/airguns/rifles/pcp/MAR177

That one's Pilkington's design, licensed to Crossman. I've played with one of them a few times at Nationals, and they're darn good for what they're designed for: an air rifle to simulate a service rifle class national match gun.

John Ralston
02-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I love to shoot, but hate the current state of affairs with ammo prices! I could get that upper, a scuba tank and 2000 rounds for the cost of a case of 5.56...AND shoot it in my back yard.

Kevin B.
02-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Nate.

We have three we are evaluating. So far, the feedback has been positive and the accuracy has been phenomenal.

John Ralston
02-08-2013, 09:09 PM
That's what I like to hear. The Lothar Walther barrel was a good choice.