PDA

View Full Version : Got To First Base With A Smith

NETim
02-06-2013, 09:42 PM
First things first, yes I had to pay for it and I paid too much. That's the way I roll.

I got my latest GB acquisition Tuesday morning and then had to go to work, so I didn't get to play with it until that night... late (after an indoor IDPA-like match.)

I noticed, after stuffing the little Model 18 with snap caps and trying the DA and SA modes, that occasionally, just occasionally, I couldn't pull all the way through the DA cycle. Cocking the hammer felt clunky. The trigger absolutely refused to budge just before the point where the hammer should fall.

Oh oh. The guy said it was excellent and he was the original owner. Oh oh. What did I get stuck with?

After fussing and fuming all day today, I consulted with the guys at the S&W forum. I was told to detail strip it. It might be gunked up.

Having never done this, I was a little nervous.

So tonight, I thwacked the sideplate off with a hammer handle ala' Kunhausen and inspected the guts of the Smith.

I could see nothing wrong... no big balls of dried grease or hunks of metal floating around. So I got out the TW-25B and lubed contact surfaces. (I did not strip it down. I was content to view the inner workings.)

I did notice that one particular cylinder was a problem child when pulling through the DA cycle. When I pulled the hand out of the slot, the trigger could be pulled and the hammer would drop. (I think now this whole affair was related to a deformed snap cap in that particular chamber.) I greased up the slot a little anyway.

It seems to run much smoother and no more DA hangups. And now I'm not afraid to get into a Smith (too much.)

Why yes, I do lead a rather quiet and dull lifestyle. Why do you ask? :) (I'm just happy I didn't get stuck with a POS.)

Corlissimo
02-06-2013, 10:40 PM
Wait a sec. Wasn't it you who just recently (really recently) typed something about scowling at a Model 18 sitting next to your keyboard in this post: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6928 :P

Glad to hear you didn't get shafted. :)

~ Typos brought to you by my laziness & in attention to detail.

Tamara
02-08-2013, 08:11 AM
And now I'm not afraid to get into a Smith (too much.)

Dude, I am the least mechanically-inclined person on the planet. If I can detail-strip a Smith Hand Ejector, anybody can.

NETim
02-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Dude, I am the least mechanically-inclined person on the planet. If I can detail-strip a Smith Hand Ejector, anybody can.

Okay, I am somewhat more confident now. :) But I will still work with it inside a big ziploc bag while I do it. Too many tiny springs in there.

Tamara
02-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Okay, I am somewhat more confident now. :) But I will still work with it inside a big ziploc bag while I do it. Too many tiny springs in there.

Once you've taken apart one with the old cylinder stop spring and plunger arrangement retained by the screw in front of the trigger guard, you'll curse Smith for abandoning that setup in their cheaper-to-produce modern 3-screw design.

Al T.
02-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Go by Northern Tool and get a couple of those magnetized bowls to hold your chunks of S&W. It's really not that hard.

Spr1
02-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Model 18...... .22LR..... Get a cleaning toothbrush from Brownells to clean under the extractor star. Powder granules will accumulate there and cause cylinder binding. Oh, and a plastic bristled bore brush and short cleaning rod. The chambers get gunked up also.
Those minor annoyances over center fire revolvers aside, I predict you will love that gun.

Tamara
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Model 18...... .22LR..... Get a cleaning toothbrush from Brownells to clean under the extractor star. Powder granules will accumulate there and cause cylinder binding. Oh, and a plastic bristled bore brush and short cleaning rod. The chambers get gunked up also.

In my experience, Smith rimfire chambers, especially on older guns, tend to run crazy tight. If you're running into sticky extraction after four or five cylinders of shootin', it might also be worthwhile checking with a good 'smith and seeing if the chambers couldn't use a little cleaning up, unless you're planning on using it for bullseye shooting and absolutely need the match chamber tolerances.

Spr1
02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Definitely.

Even the new ones can use some help. I used a Manson reamer on my new 617 for a major improvement.