PDA

View Full Version : Working on the draw

Slavex
04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
a little video from some practice recently. I find the cat really helps....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhNsCRrZREs

3-7-77
04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
That's why I have dogs :p Nice job, your concentration was impressive.

LittleLebowski
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I'd throw in a cover garment for realistic training and protection from the cat. Nice concentration :D

gtmtnbiker98
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
That was interesting.

KentF
04-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd throw in a cover garment for realistic training and protection from the cat. Nice concentration :D

When I first read this I thought you meant throw a cover garment on the cat. ;)

I don't think I could have held my concentration... the cat must have kept her claws in.

MDS
04-13-2011, 03:08 PM
I find the cat really helps....

I wonder if the rule book mentions cats. Anything for an edge, right? ;)

JodyH
04-13-2011, 09:05 PM
A quick tip:
Do an exact reverse of your draw when you re-holster.
It's basically a free repetition.

Slavex
04-13-2011, 11:51 PM
I normally do more of a reverse draw when re-holstering, but since my hand is in a different position (thumb on hammer) and I also insert the gun differently than it comes out, it's not totally a mirror image. As well, I found with Raeden on my shoulder too much movement going back caused him to dig in more than normal. Although he dug in enough anyhow. We're all used to it around here. The wife and I are covered in scars from him climbing us. We don't mind.
No cover garments as I shoot IPSC not IDPA.

LittleLebowski
04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
A quick tip:
Do an exact reverse of your draw when you re-holster.
It's basically a free repetition.

Good tip, thanks.

JodyH
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I normally do more of a reverse draw when re-holstering, but since my hand is in a different position (thumb on hammer) and I also insert the gun differently than it comes out, it's not totally a mirror image.
I too ride the hammer on re-holster.
I do a reverse press out back to my compressed pectoral position then as I roll the muzzle from horizontal to vertical I place my thumb on the hammer and drop straight down into the holster.
At the range I usually do a magazine round check/tac reload and press check at the compressed ready then ride the hammer to the holster.
In your video you did a reverse bowling draw instead of a reverse press out.
Thats missing out on a free repetition.
Other than that and the bad hairpiece you looked good.

double-Tapatalk

Slavex
04-15-2011, 01:50 PM
paid a little more attention to my holstering last night. something I don't do on dry fire that I do on live fire is the decocking of the gun. I bring it down a low retention position, decock, then rotate vertical and holster. I do bring the gun back along the same lines as my pressout though.

Saur
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
I do a reverse draw reholster. I carry a Glock so I don't have a hammer to ride on the reholster. However, I do maintain my full firing grip until the muzzle is in the holster. At that point I'll thumb over the back of the slide to ensure its in battery.

For me, its a more accurate reverse image of my draw process (I carry around 3:00), and since I practice firing from a High #2, I don't want to have my thumb behind the slide at any point while the gun is out of the holster.