PDA

View Full Version : Buck and ball loads for shotgun?

Drang
02-04-2013, 02:46 PM
There are a couple of modern variations out there of the old "buck 'n' ball" load for musket. (Let's be clear that I am referring to 12 or 20 gauge loads here, not the .410 loads for various and sundry handguns.)

Centurion has one that has a single .69 lead ball and six 00 buckshot. I believe I saw another brand that had the same projectiles, but I cannot remember the name. Winchester has a defense load that has, IIRC, a rifled slug and three 00 shot.
Has anyone tried any (or all) of these? How do they work out? Groups at realistic defensive ranges, reliability, etc.? Penetration tests, a la Box o' Truth or what Legion's Fate (http://fateoflegions.blogspot.com/) did last year?

I haven't used one, is it possible to chronograph a shotshell load? (Without needing a new chrony, that is...) :confused:

Dave J
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
Although I'd also be interested to hear any firsthand experiences, I'd speculate there's probably some good reasons we don't see these sorts of loads used in the LE arena.

Personally, if I want a slug, I want a slug that goes where I put it, without some randomly scattering pellets also in the mix. If I want buck, then I'd rather have a denser buck pattern without one projectile that's going to massively overpenetrate compared to the others.

If you've already set up to switch between buck and slugs, you don't need a third ammo choice to cause confusion under stress.

The modern LE loads (e.g. Federal Truball and Flite Control) perform well enough that I don't see a reason to use something that's unproven.

IMHO, anyway.

TGS
02-04-2013, 03:46 PM
IIRC, before slugs were invented, cut shells were preferable to buck-n-ball. I think that says something, being that cut shells are looked at as an everything-has-gone-to-hell last resort today.