PDA

View Full Version : RangeLog

KentF
04-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I can't remember what site led me to this, but I recent started using RangeLog (http://www.rangelog.com) to track my practice. There is a limited free version and a paid version for ~$30/year.

MDS
04-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I started using this right after the OP's post. I went a little haywire and started logging my daily dry fire, as well my weekly-ish live fire. I thought it would wear off and I would stop using it, at least stop logging the dry fire. On the contrary, it's nice to see a log of my hard work! :cool:

Not surprisingly, logging the live fire give me time to carefully consider how I spend my training time and ammo. I've been more thoughtful, consistent and systematic in my live and dry fire practice since I started using this webapp.

There are a few bugs and missing features, but I can live with them for now. For example, you can't enter more than one drill in a single log entry - only multiple "strings." <shrug>

Thanks for the pointer!

rangelog_steve
04-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi mariodsantana,

I saw your post and wanted to say "thank you" for your feedback and thoughts about RangeLog.com. I'm one of the folks behind the product, and it's always great to hear from our users.

I wanted to take a quick second to post a couple of thoughts in response to your comments:

Support for multiple drills within a single log entry - a couple of other users have also requested this, and we agree! This is on our "short list" of upcoming enhancements, so keep an eye out for it in the near future.
Missing features - if there are other things you would like to see, then just let us know! RangeLog was built by shooters, for shooter, so we're always looking to hear new ideas for enhancements that will improve the overall shooting experience. Just send any thoughts/ideas to info@rangelog.com
Few Bugs - if you're running into any problems, then we want to hear about those as well. Just use the "Help" link in the website header, or send an email to support@rangelog.com; either option can be used to create a support ticket, and we'll address any issues ASAP!

The last item I wanted to mention is the upcoming release of our mobile apps. The iPhone app is in beta-testing now, but the Android app is ready and is scheduled to be released on May 3rd!

The mobile apps will allow RangeLog users to improve their experience by logging their data from the range. Plus, the apps are designed to work while disconnected; allowing you to enter your data even if you're out of coverage, and then sync everything back to RangeLog.com later.

We're definitely excited about the release, and we're looking forward to hearing from our users as they start logging "on the go"!

Thanks again for using the system and for sharing your thoughts,
RangeLog Steve

ToddG
04-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Steve -- Welcome to the forum!

Without rehashing a ton of stuff, my thoughts on Performance Tracking (and how to use a computer/database as part of the process) can be found here (http://pistol-training.com/archives/3439).

Regarding the iPhone app, will there be a native iPad (HD) version? I currently use my iPad at the range for all my logging via a basic journal/diary app.

KentF
04-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Glad to hear about the upcoming release of the mobile apps. I've found the program to be very helpful. I'm a paid subscriber!

rangelog_steve
04-28-2011, 11:24 AM
KentF,

We're glad you like the site, and we hope you enjoy using the upcoming mobile apps! As always, let us know if there is anything we can do to improve your shooting/loggin experience!

ToddG,

Thanks for the warm welcome, and for providing that link to your thoughts on performance tracking. That is a great post, and there is definitely a ton of good advice for shooters of any level! The items you mentioned are precisely the idea/driving force behind RangeLog; we're trying to provide shooters with the ability to track as much detail as possible, while still trying to maintain an easy-to-use interface (although these two priorities can sometimes conflict).

As you pointed out in your blog post, collecting all that data is pointless if you aren't doing anything valuable with it, so we have also tried to focus on providing valuable reports for our users. A number of key reports are available to free users, and a large number of additional reports are available to Premium members. We're always on the lookout for more, so let us know if there are any reports that you feel are missing.

Regarding you comments about iPad support, we will be testing the current app against the iPad as part of the beta testing process, but this current app is designed primarily for iPhone users. There will be an iPad-specific version to follow, with a more in-depth interface, but that will not be part of the initial release.

If you are available, we would love to hear your thoughts and ideas about the interface and functionality for an iPad app. Just let us know if you'd be interested!

In the meantime, thanks again and happy shooting!
RangeLog Steve

MDS
04-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Steve,

First, thanks for joining up! This kind of transparent community participation is really valuable from vendors, and I think you'll find a lot of honest feedback from the folks here - most of whom are a lot more knowledgable than me.

Entering multiple drills will be awesome! One of the "missing features" I referred to is that a drill's definition doesn't include # of shots, reloads, etc - so you have to enter that stuff manually every time you shoot that drill. Combining this more robust drill definition with the ability to enter multiple drills per log entry would make it a lot easier to log a whole range session.

The other "missing feature" that comes to mind is definitely the mobile apps, which you're addressing. Call me a dreamer, but I'd love to see the app contain or work with a shot timer to automatically enter as much of the data as possible without human intervention.

rangelog_steve
04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi mariodsantana,

We completely agree with your idea about enhancing the drills, and it is something that is on our roadmap for this year. Our vision for this is to basically permit the someone to create a "template" shotlog/string when adding a drill. This template would contain all the key indicators outlined in the drill itself (# of rounds, draws, mag changes, distance, goal time, etc.)

In a new shotlog, selecting that the drill was performed would automatically pre-populate the form using the template data (or prompt the user to ask if they want this to happen). With the basic data pre-populated, the user would only need to focus on the pertitent missing data (hits/misses, actual time. etc.).

This is something we've been looking forward to, but we have to implement the support for multiple drills first (the other enhancement you mentioned). As soon as the "multiple drill" per shotlog feature becomes available, you can bet we're moving on to this next!

I hope this comes as good news. These are great ideas, so please keep sending anything you can think of. Thanks again for using the product, and happy shooting!

RangeLog Steve

rangelog_steve
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi all,

Just a quick update to last week's post to let everyone know that the Droid mobile app was released this morning and is available on the Droid marketplace (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rangelog.rangelog&feature=search_result). The app's features include:

Search and review the details for thousands of shooting ranges.
Search and review the details for hundreds of shooting drills and stages.
Add new live-fire activities, adding scoring, time and goals along with target photos.
Review and add new dry-fire log activities for each firearm you are tracking.
Review and add firearms maintenance activities, like cleanings and repairs or firearm inspections.
A personalized dashboard allows members to create quick links to their favorite features on the application.
App SYNC feature allows you to use the application without connectivity. Choose when you synchronize with RANGELOG.com.

Anyone looking for a Droid app that allows them to log their shots on-the-go should definitely check it out!

For iPhone users, there is an app coming soon for you; the app is currently in beta testing, and will be available through Apple's App Store in the weeks ahead. We'll post more details as they become available.

In the meantime, happy shooting!
RangeLog Steve

ubervic
05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi all,

Just a quick update to last week's post to let everyone know that the Droid mobile app was released this morning and is available on the Droid marketplace (https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rangelog.rangelog&feature=search_result). The app's features include:

Search and review the details for thousands of shooting ranges.
Search and review the details for hundreds of shooting drills and stages.
Add new live-fire activities, adding scoring, time and goals along with target photos.
Review and add new dry-fire log activities for each firearm you are tracking.
Review and add firearms maintenance activities, like cleanings and repairs or firearm inspections.
A personalized dashboard allows members to create quick links to their favorite features on the application.
App SYNC feature allows you to use the application without connectivity. Choose when you synchronize with RANGELOG.com.

Anyone looking for a Droid app that allows them to log their shots on-the-go should definitely check it out!

For iPhone users, there is an app coming soon for you; the app is currently in beta testing, and will be available through Apple's App Store in the weeks ahead. We'll post more details as they become available.

In the meantime, happy shooting!
RangeLog Steve

I'm in, and can't wait to get started utilizing all of this. Thank you!

WyoXd
05-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I signed up yesterday after reading this thread--what a great program!

John Ralston
05-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Is the Android Version still being tweaked?

I downloaded it, but some of the program isn't functional. When you try to add a firearm, the pulldown menus are empty, and you can't enter anything manually. In additon, when you try to make an entry in the shot log, the firearm button is grayed out (even though I entered a firearm online and have synced) and you can't complete the entry without picking a firearm. You can't access the dry fire log either.

KentF
05-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Is the Android Version still being tweaked?

I downloaded it, but some of the program isn't functional. When you try to add a firearm, the pulldown menus are empty, and you can't enter anything manually. In additon, when you try to make an entry in the shot log, the firearm button is grayed out (even though I entered a firearm online and have syned) and you can't complete the entry without picking a firearm. You can't access the dry fire log either.

John,

I'm not having those problems with my Motorola Droid. I was able to enter a shot log, add a new firearm and sync with no problems. I was also able to access my dry fire log.

John Ralston
05-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Hmmm...my phone is a Motorola Droid as well. When I tried to access the quick dry fire log it crashed, and sent a failure notice.

KentF
05-04-2011, 01:05 PM
Hadn't tried the quick, but that works also. Android version 2.2.2 Verizon wireless

John Ralston
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Hadn't tried the quick, but that works also. Android version 2.2.2 Verizon wireless

I have no clue what version I have...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

KentF
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Check your settings, About Phone - it will be near the bottom.

John Ralston
05-04-2011, 02:27 PM
Check your settings, About Phone - it will be near the bottom.

Running 2.2.2

KentF
05-09-2011, 08:42 AM
I can't get my phone app to properly sync. I've submitted a support ticket. Corrected and deleted shot log data from the web application are not showing in the phone app after a sync.

WyoXd
05-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Steve,

I was just wondering if there is an anticipated time frame for adding the premium features (like IDPA scorecard, reloading, etc.) to the mobile app? It'll be nice to see my true round counts and track my ammo useage.

KentF
05-13-2011, 08:03 AM
I can't get my phone app to properly sync. I've submitted a support ticket. Corrected and deleted shot log data from the web application are not showing in the phone app after a sync.

This has been fixed with a recent update.

ToddG
06-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Any update on the iPhone app? I'm probably going to give it a try.