PDA

View Full Version : New NPE pistol

Up1911Fan
02-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Picked up a Kahr CM9 for those time's when my G19 won't do. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet as it hasn't been above 10 degrees in 3 weeks ( I shoot outdoors, lot's of dryfire this month). Got a couple extra mags ( trying to find more) and waiting on a Dawson front night site. Seem's pretty decent in dry fire. Shown with my new to me ZT 0360 P-T edition folder.

NickA
02-01-2013, 02:48 PM
I've had an itch to try one of those for a while now. Let us know how it goes.

JodyH
02-01-2013, 03:58 PM
I've had a PM9 for several years/thousands of rounds. Never a hiccup and pocket carries great. I recommend the Wolff + recoil spring, it makes the slide close and lock up much more positive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Up1911Fan
02-01-2013, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Det1397
02-02-2013, 10:43 AM
I've had a PM9 for several years/thousands of rounds. Never a hiccup and pocket carries great. I recommend the Wolff + recoil spring, it makes the slide close and lock up much more positive.

I picked up my PM9 with the Black Diamond (DLC) finish when they first became available. Mine runs without hesitation and carries quite well in either a desantis or an alessi pocket holster. On the belt, it disappears in a Comp-Tac paddle holster.
This pistol certainly more than fits the bill when a full or medium sized combat pistol just is impractical...
I've never tried the Wolff spring but am certainly considering it.
And BTW, the DLC finish is one of the finest firearm coatings I have ever seen or used...

JonInWA
02-02-2013, 12:22 PM
I must have missed the last obscure acronym class-what the heck is "NPE?" (and I'm asking for myself and anyone else who'se scratching their heads but not about to ask...)

Best, Jon

jon volk
02-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Non Permissive Environment

Up1911Fan
02-02-2013, 02:33 PM
It's a military term but in this use I mean for those time's when carrying a bigger gun just isn't an option.

JodyH
02-02-2013, 09:17 PM
The Wolff + spring takes out that slight hesitation in the feed cycle that every PM9 I've ever shot had.
It's almost imperceptible but i've felt it in several different PM9's.
It also helps feed the first round if you manually rack the slide instead of using the slide stop lever.
Not a mandatory item, but after running the + spring there's no way i'd switch back to stock weight.

JDM
02-02-2013, 11:02 PM
When do you guys find a NPE specific gun useful?

IME, it's either what I carry everyday (a SIG 226) or nothing.

With proper concealment gear assumed, I cannot figure out when I'd carry something like this, or a shield, when I couldn't carry what I normally do.

Up1911Fan
02-02-2013, 11:33 PM
Anytime I have to tuck my shirt in without a cover garmet. Going for a run in boardshorts. Quick trip outside with the dogs after i've showered for the night and am wearing sweatpants or gym shorts. Weddings and funerals where I want the option of taking my jacket off.

JodyH
02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Pocket or ankle carry gives you more options between your favorite "EDC" and "nothing".

"No jacket" Church, when I'm wearing a tucked Polo and all the little old ladies want to hug is one of those times a PM9 in my pocket works great.
It's easy to say "go low" when you hug, but it's goofy as hell when you're 6'2" and going for double underhooks on a 5'0" Grandma.

Like has been posted earlier, once I'm home for the night showered and chilling out and the wife needs me to take the trash out for some reason (burned something, raw chicken in the trash etc.) I can slip the PM9 in my pocket and be armed while wearing gym shorts.
Just lounging around the house in shorts I can have a gun on me all the time.
Might sound paranoid to some, but I've had two murdered people turn up in the pasture behind my house in the 10 years I've lived here. Taking out the trash could get interesting if you walk into a guy stabbing a hooker to death in the alley.

While traveling long distances I often pocket or ankle carry instead of belt carry. Ankle because it's a better position to draw from while belted and seated in bucket seats. The pocket of my coat for cold days while pumping gas because I can have my hand on the gun in my pocket and nobody's the wiser. I just switch the gun back and forth between my ankle and pocket as needed.

Just another option.

JDM
02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys!

WobblyPossum
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
There is a very interesting and informative thread (http://www.totalprotectioninteractive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15379&highlight=living) on TPI about NPE carry that, I will admit, change my thinking on the issue. It is a long but worthwhile read.

jon volk
02-03-2013, 11:31 AM
My go to when a full size isn't feasible.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/04/ju9u5u9a.jpg

JodyH
02-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Back to the gun.

I have right around 4000 rounds through my PM9 with zero shooting malfunctions, from day one it's been perfect.
If I overhand rack the slide I get the rare feed stoppage, but since I don't carry a spare mag it's a non-issue IMO.
If I use the slide release lever it's 100%.
I installed a Trijicon front night sight and Novak plain black rear sight. The sight picture is still too tight, but it works well enough.
On walk-back drills I can hit a 8" plate out to 40 yards with 5 out of 7 shots routinely.
I've tried multiple nice leather pocket holsters and always go back to a DeSantis Nemesis nylon/rubber cheapie holster, it just works.
Standard pressure 124gr. Federal HST is a low recoil tack driver in it and has never even hinted at having feed issues, it also expands and penetrates great even from the short barrel.
I use the Wolff + recoil spring and change it out every 1000 rounds for peace of mind.
Be very careful when re-assembling after field stripping, I've seen a lot of guns turned into malfunctioning POS's by bending the slide stop spring when inserting the slide stop. Read and follow the instructions carefully.

Chuck Haggard
02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Do the guys who swap out with the Wolf recoil spring change both by taking apart the guide rod assembly, or just the easier to swap outer spring?

My wife's PM9 could probably use a new recoil spring with as much shooting as she has done with that gun.

The PM9s that are running well, are these newer guns? I have had three PM9s, two didn't run worth a damn, my wife kept the one that did. I'd like one for myself but I am done with buying guns that don't work and then having to fiddle with them, if I can avoid it.

JodyH
02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
My PM9 is several years old (at least 6-7 years).

I've never changed out the inner spring, I just change the outer spring on an accelerated schedule.

I always tell people MY Kahr PM9 runs fine, YMMV.

My overall experience with Kahr handguns has been less than satisfactory on the whole.
PM9, K9, CW9 have all been great reliable, accurate guns.
MK9 was GTG after a trip back to Kahr for a peening slide/barrel lockup.
T9 and P380 were both complete and utter disasters that were still POS after multiple trips back for service.

If Kahr was a major league baseball player, they'd be the bench warmer instead of the designated hitter.

JeffJ
02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
What do you guys think about the PM9 vs. an airweight .38 (S&W 638 for example)? - I've noticed more and more that I'd like a pocket carry option and have no interest in a .380

JHC
02-07-2013, 06:07 PM
When do you guys find a NPE specific gun useful?

With proper concealment gear assumed, I cannot figure out when I'd carry something like this, or a shield, when I couldn't carry what I normally do.

Way back long before Bush signed Texas CCW into law; when raising a young family in a state with no carry provision at all.

In places where its technically legal but any number of civil sanctions could result from disclosure. Everyday, in all manners of dress, day in day out, in close proximity. G26 is as low as I need to go these last few years.

JodyH
02-07-2013, 06:21 PM
What do you guys think about the PM9 vs. an airweight .38 (S&W 638 for example)? - I've noticed more and more that I'd like a pocket carry option and have no interest in a .380
6+1 9mm with magazine reloads vs. 5 rounds of .38spcl. with speedloader reloads = advantage PM9
The J frames are much easier to draw from a pocket.
The PM9 is much easier to shoot in my experience.
PM9 has better sights/sight options.
J frames have a better reliability record.
When the PM9 goes down it's tap-rack-bang, when a J-frame goes down it's a trip to the gunsmith.

I own and carry both.
:cool:

JV_
02-07-2013, 06:34 PM
PM9 has better sights/sight options.The J frame should come with a CT Laser, it's a must have.

wmu12071
02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
I have a Kahr CW9 and I really like it. I need a better holster but some days I shoot it better than my Glock 19.