PDA

View Full Version : Precision optic recommendations <$700

G60
02-01-2013, 01:58 AM
Looking for a precision optic recommendation no more than $700 for the optic alone.

It will be going on top of a left-handed 700 sps varmint .308.

The intended purpose of the rifle will be something to learn on, while hopefully not being outgrown for quite a while. Range will be mostly between 100-600 yards. And while I do have a 1000 yard range nearby, I understand that approaching such a distance will be well beyond my capabilities for quite some time, but it might be nice to have that capability eventually, unless it would result in giving up something much more useful to me right now for the "someday..." feature.

A couple that I've seen recommended are a Bushnell ERS 6-24x50, (http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/ers-6-24x-50mm-mil-dot), Weaver Tactical 3-15x50, (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/821269-REG/Weaver_800362_3_15x50_Tactical_Riflescope_Matte.ht ml) or Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50. (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle)

Is there anything else I should be looking at? Anything I should definitely stay away from for my intended purpose? I'm going into this with a completely open mind, and I want to listen to what people offering me their personal experience have to offer.

Thanks.

tremiles
02-01-2013, 07:20 AM
Based on SWFA's current pricing, none of the FFP reticule scopes you linked are within your budget. If you don't need ranging at every magnification, you could save some money with a SFP reticule scope. You could also look at a fixed Super Sniper on SWFA for around 400 or the FFP 3-9x SS for around 600. Make sure you match reticule to adjustment knobs IE... mil/mil or MOA/MOA to take some needless calc's out of the equation.

I have a fixed 10x SS on my R700 SPS Tac that I'm happy with as I learn. I shoot the same ranges you're looking at.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

RoyGBiv
02-01-2013, 09:11 AM
Based on SWFA's current pricing, none of the FFP reticule scopes you linked are within your budget.
Opticsplanet has all three at or a bit below the $700 mark.
I've had good experience with them, but I've heard stories from others that have experienced long backorders.

Looking forward to reading this thread.. Thanks OP.

DanH
02-01-2013, 09:28 AM
Personally, I've had good luck with Leupold. Opticsplanet has several VX-3, and VX-R scopes just under the $700 mark.

Suvorov
02-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Personally, I've had good luck with Leupold. Opticsplanet has several VX-3, and VX-R scopes just under the $700 mark.

I agree! Depending on what power you are looking for, you should be able to get into a mid-rage Leupold for under $700. I've been running VXIIIs, Mark ARs, and VX-Rs on my various rifles and really couldn't be happier for the price point. They may not be the top end Leuopolds or "cool guy" optics, but for my "mission" they work perfectly. The glass is real good, you have quite a few reticle options, you can send it back to the service center and have them configure it exactly how you want once you figure out what it is you want, they have great Customer Service and Warranty, and are all assembled in the US. I may be drinking a bit of the Kool Aid, but I am a loyal customer.

SWFA is showing a 4-12x (http://swfa.com/Leupold-4-12x40-Mark-AR-MOD-1-Riflescope-P60894.aspx) with Mil-Dot for $500. I have not used this scope, but I do have the 3-9x mounted to my M14 and am very happy with it.

G60
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the recommendations so far. I might be able to eke out an extra $100-200 for the optic depending on which distributor I find for the rifle as well.

SeriousStudent
02-01-2013, 08:16 PM
If you are looking for the Vortex, you may want to talk to Scott at Liberty Optics. He's always given me excellent service.

I bought my Vortex Viper PST mil/mil FFP 4-16 from him, and have been very pleased with it's performance.

TheRoland
02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
I've had good luck with both Leopold and Bushnell's newer stuff, but Vortex glass is visibly better. I'm willing to pay a little extra cash for that.

Right now, my two precison rifles are running the first two. By the end of this year, they'll be running the latter.

TGS
02-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Vortex's CS is reportedly outstanding, to boot. No nonsense warranty that they act on. Something extra to consider, as not all of the companies mentioned thus far have very good CS reputations.

TheRoland
02-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Vortex's CS is reportedly outstanding, to boot. No nonsense warranty that they act on. Something extra to consider, as not all of the company's mentioned thus far have very good CS reputations.

I know we're nice around here, but I'll elaborate.

1. Leopuld is a bit bizarre in that their CS is 'legendary' but bad expirences can be found pretty easily on the web. They remind me of Smith and Wesson in this.

2. Bushnell CS has a reputation for being nonexistent. My impression is they're fixing this.

I happen to like Meoptra's low-power variable, and their CS is a whole level of terrible.

Don't know Weaver.

John Ralston
02-01-2013, 10:36 PM
I have never had to send a scope back to Leupold, so I can't comment on warranty stuff, but in all other matters I have found their CS to be top notch. I would generally believe that there would be more stories of the CS on the net due to the fact that they have been around for 100 years and have millions of scopes out there. The more product you have out, the more customer service experiences, both good and bad.

TheRoland
02-01-2013, 11:37 PM
I have never had to send a scope back to Leupold, so I can't comment on warranty stuff, but in all other matters I have found their CS to be top notch. I would generally believe that there would be more stories of the CS on the net due to the fact that they have been around for 100 years and have millions of scopes out there. The more product you have out, the more customer service experiences, both good and bad.

This seems to be a reasonable explanation.

G60
02-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I was able to get a good deal on the rifle and ended up going with a Bushnell 3.5-21x50 G2DMR for just under $1100.