PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past: S&W Mdl 39

David Armstrong
01-29-2013, 01:52 PM
This is one of those guns I've had for decades and just didn't shoot....until this weekend. While moving some stuff in the gunsafe I ran across my old Mdl 39, from back in the late 1970s. I've always remembered it fondly but hadn't seen any reason to shoot it for a long time. So I thought I'd break it out and see if it was everything I remembered. And it was! That perfectly curved backstrap that fit into my hand like it was made for it, the slightly tacky feel of the old Pachmyar grips with the backstrap and frontstrap removed, those big old chunky S&W sights and that looooong DA pull....it was great! Fed ammo flawlessly and shot a nice 3" group at 25 yards supported.

Sometimes it's nice to break out a safe queen and relive the past a bit. I've often said that I thought I'd go back to the old 39 if necessary to give up my Glocks. And now I might do it just for fun. So how about it...anyone else have one of those old guns that you liked, but haven't blown the dust bunnies out of it for years?:cool:

GJM
01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
Mean something to me, as just over ten years ago, I carried one, loaded with ball ammo, for three weeks on a hunt in Zimbabwe.

Tamara
01-29-2013, 08:51 PM
So how about it...anyone else have one of those old guns that you liked, but haven't blown the dust bunnies out of it for years?:cool:

As one of those reviled "collectors", I've got multiple dozens of guns I neglect in favor of the "working" guns in my range bag. :(

David Armstrong
01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
As one of those reviled "collectors", I've got multiple dozens of guns I neglect in favor of the "working" guns in my range bag. :(
That has been me recently. But I enjoyed the 39 so much I think I'm going to make a habit to dig out one of those neglected gems every month just for fun. I could be mistaken, but I think I heard an old Webley 38/200 begging for attention from the back of the safe the other day!:D

Moshe Dayan
01-30-2013, 04:59 PM
The Model 39 is an excellent pistol, IMO one of the best things S&W ever produced. I have a no-dash 39 that is probably the nicest auto loader I own. It is somewhat disappointing to handle that old pistol with its excellent fit, finish, and smooth mechanisms and compare it to the M&Ps, Sigmas, and 3rd gen autos they make today...

A couple of handguns that don't see much range time from my collection are a Pre-B CZ75, a P38, a 6" Colt Python and a Beretta Model 70. I actually shoot that Model 39 quite frequently and it has been a flawless performer.

ADulay
01-30-2013, 06:20 PM
Yep.

I've got a Model 39 sitting in a bedside drawer!

It was my first automatic purchased sometime back in the early 1970's. Hmm, I've still got the S&W snubbie that it replaced, too!

I shoot it maybe twice a year, just for grins and it still shoots and feels perfect. It is obviously heavier than my Glocks, but still a beauty to handle and shoot.

Hmm, now that you've brought this up, I think I'll take it out and shoot it tomorrow.

Thanks.

AD

ST911
01-30-2013, 11:35 PM
The Model 39 has a really nice feel to it. I regret parting with mine. I very nearly had a 6906 follow me home the other night. Not a 39, but one of those I wish I still had around from time to time.

DocGKR
01-30-2013, 11:42 PM
If it is not getting used, it gets sold or given away--not too many things collecting dust in my safe...

Jay Cunningham
01-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Pics or GTFO.

Tamara
01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
If it is not getting used, it gets sold or given away--not too many things collecting dust in my safe...

Do you also use stock certificates for placemats? Wouldn't want those things gathering dust! :p

I have never once practiced "Shoot One, Load One" drills with my Gew.71 Vetterli. (Especially since the only box of ammo I have for it took years to track down, cost near five bucks a round, and might not work.) The Vetterli's functioning fine, though: It books for better than twice what I paid for it!

Tamara
01-31-2013, 06:50 AM
I have a no-dash 39 that is probably the nicest auto loader I own.

A non-malfunctioning, breakage-free no-dash 39 is a gem indeed; they didn't do those changes to the extractor on the -2 for looks.

Moshe Dayan
01-31-2013, 10:05 AM
A non-malfunctioning, breakage-free no-dash 39 is a gem indeed; they didn't do those changes to the extractor on the -2 for looks.

Yes, but that was more in reference to the craftsmanship S&W was once known for. My personal handgun has been problem free.

And pictures for the gentleman who requested them...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/Pistols/DSC01414.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a248/LegumeOfTerror/Pistols/IMG_0466.jpg

Tamara
01-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Yes, but that was more in reference to the craftsmanship S&W was once known for. My personal handgun has been problem free.

The long extractor is both better-looking and a more elegant engineering solution; it's a shame they were so problematic. :(

LOVE the lollipop sights! Those take a girl back... :cool:

WDW
01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Do you also use stock certificates for placemats? Wouldn't want those things gathering dust! :p

I have never once practiced "Shoot One, Load One" drills with my Gew.71 Vetterli. (Especially since the only box of ammo I have for it took years to track down, cost near five bucks a round, and might not work.) The Vetterli's functioning fine, though: It books for better than twice what I paid for it!

I've owned 2 of those rifles. Way cool how they were a blend of American lever guns & the then new bolt action. Never even tried to find ammo for them. I just figured it didn't even exist.

Tamara
01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
I've owned 2 of those rifles. Way cool how they were a blend of American lever guns & the then new bolt action. Never even tried to find ammo for them. I just figured it didn't even exist.

Behold: A full box of Remington Kleenbore .41 Swiss (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2012/05/whole-point-of-gun-shows.html). (They stopped making it during WWII and never started up again...)

WDW
01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Behold: A full box of Remington Kleenbore .41 Swiss (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2012/05/whole-point-of-gun-shows.html). (They stopped making it during WWII and never started up again...)

You should shoot it once a year on your birthday