PDA

View Full Version : G34 vs G17 vs G19 ....

VolGrad
04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
... for IDPA.

I have been shooting a G34 with a "Challenger" trigger from www.GlockTriggers.com in IDPA SSP for the past few months. I am pleased with this setup BUT am considering switching to a G17 or even a G19 as my primary IDPA gun.

My reasoning is as follows;

While I feel I shoot the G34 more accurately in deliberate, slow fire I think I shoot the smaller framed slightly guns better at speed.

I don't have quantifiable numbers to support this theory except for one Classifier with a G19 vs one Classifier with a G34 and a few GLOCK match scores with each gun. This data set is hardly enough to make a decision.

I am not sure there is enough advantage (maybe even a disadvantage) to keep moving forward with the G34. I really want to focus on IDPA this year, hoping to make Expert by the end of the year ..... or at least by next Spring (SS now). This will take some work so I want to make sure I have my hard goods (gear) squared away so I can focus on the soft good aspect (mental).

I know the first thing most will ask is, "What do you normally carry?". I normally carry either a G19 or a G17 that has been chopped to accept G19 mags. I am comfortable with both of these size GLOCKs.

My G34 had to go back to Smyrna for a check-up. That's what got me thinking about all this. I was thinking about what I wanted to shoot in IDPA until it comes home. The whole thing snowballed from there.

So ... can anyone speak on what they have found when shooting long slide guns like the G34 vs smaller guns like the G17 vs G19? Specifically, do you shoot one measurably/significantly better than the other? If so, why do you think that is the case? Does it really make a difference at all if you practice, practice, practice? Should this even be a consideration worthy of my time spent worrying about it? Is the difference so marginal this is a stupid question?

I do plan to do some side-by-side shooting (same drills with each gun) over the next few range sessions but wanted to tap into the wealth of knowledge here as well before making a decision.

orionz06
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
The rule of thumb I have always heard was the longer the sight radius the slower to aim. It is a balance of accuracy and speed with the sight radius.

3-7-77
04-12-2011, 11:16 AM
I have all 3. I shoot my G34 the fastest and with the best accuracy. I don't find the longer sight radius makes aiming and shooting any slower than the G17 and G19. For me, the G34 really soaks up the recoil, making my shot-to-shot times quite a bit faster than the G19.

My question I guess is what is your purpose when competing in IDPA? Are you just gaming and looking to achieve the highest possible score or are you using it as a means of training to increase your level of skill? If you are shooting IDPA matches for gaming, than I'd say keep using the G34 as I feel (for me at least) that would give you a competitive edge. However, if you are wanting to be more proficient with your carry platform, and are not as concerned with your match performance, than by all means use your G19.

JV_
04-12-2011, 11:21 AM
I have never felt held back by the shorter sight radius of the 19.

gringop
04-12-2011, 11:29 AM
I've never shot a G34 so I can't comment on it. I do carry and compete with a G19 and use a G17 every one in a while. I made Master with my G19 last year.

G19 Pros.
I carry it every day. I practice with it at every practice. It is accurate enough to hold 4" at 25 yards, plenty good enough for IDPA. It has a "-" connector and a G17 smooth trigger and Ameriglo Defoor sights and grip tape. Otherwise it is stock and can be run in SSP or ESP.

G19 Cons.
With my big hands, I sometimes get blood blisters when I slam a mag in and pinch the bottom of my hand. Ouch.

G17 Pros
Longer grips mean no pinching on reloads. That's it.

G17 Cons.
Not really a gun issue but the grip angle is different from the G19. I have so many reps on the G19 that I don't index the G17 as well and have to slow down a bit to get a good sight picture.

General observations.
There nothing in IDPA that make a G34 or G17 superior to a G19. Mag capacity is not an issue. With good sights, sight radius is not an issue. Shooting 9mm, recoil management is not an issue.

IMHO, the performance difference between the 3 guns is not what is going to move you up in IDPA. Good stage planning skills, being smooth in movement and shooting and sticking with one gun and practicing until gun handling is subconscious will do the trick.

Gringop

VolGrad
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
My question I guess is what is your purpose when competing in IDPA? Are you just gaming and looking to achieve the highest possible score or are you using it as a means of training to increase your level of skill? If you are shooting IDPA matches for gaming, than I'd say keep using the G34 as I feel (for me at least) that would give you a competitive edge. However, if you are wanting to be more proficient with your carry platform, and are not as concerned with your match performance, than by all means use your G19.

I see IDPA as a game. While there is some definite benefits from the game I DO NOT see it as a training opportunity.

I guess my question really was, "Is there any real competitive edge with any of these individual models?".

gringop ....
You made some great points WRT to the pro/con of the G17 and G19. I think they pretty much mirror what I was already thinking.

I guess it really is an individual thing and didn't really expect any real answer. I just need to "talk it out". Keep the comments/thoughts coming please.

BigT
04-12-2011, 12:08 PM
The G19 and I have never got on. So I have a little bias. It's a great gun and one I often recommend but it's not my choice for me.

The G34 is the gun for the game. And one that I love shooting. While I feel slower shooting the G34 than my G17 the timer tells me I'm not. And I find it easier to shoot straight especially on low percentage shots.

Damn I need to get my shit together and buy one :)

Prdator
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
My 2c For an IDPA gun I'd go G34 and never look back!
With that said I carry a g34/35 as an EDC so I use it to compete with.

Now I'll ask you this, if there is no competitive edge for using a G34, why has most all the pro shooters gone to it??

I know when I went to the G34 ( from a G17) I thought the thing would shoot its self!! it was SO easy to make good hits with, compared to a G17.

GNiner
04-12-2011, 12:32 PM
I started out carrying a G17. At range sessions when shooting other guns I always finished off the session with the G17 since that is what I was carrying. I wanted my last muscle memory to be my carry gun. I'm very data anal (like some others here), so I had meticulous records about my abilities on various drills and tests.

Over time, I aquired the G26 and G19. I also aquired the G34 with the intention of using it as a game gun. I tried carrying the G26 for awhile under the theory that smaller is more concealable. I didn't like it because the barrel wasn't long enough to be consistently stabilized in my IWB holster. It felt like it was top heavy and would come out even though it was securely fastened. So I sold it.

So I started carrying the G19 and practicing with it extensively. It seemed like the perfect size gun for concealment because of the shorter grip than the G17. At first my scores were not as good as the G17. But after a couple of months I was equaling my previous G17 scores.

I decided to do a comprehensive test between the G34, G17, and G19. Although I never got as much trigger time on the G34, I found that the G19 far exceeded my scores on the G34 and barely exceeded my scores on the G17. So I use the G19 exclusively now as there is no advantage to the other guns for me and I carry the G19 anyway.

I did notice that I could download a cartridge so far that it would make power factor in the G34, but it might not even cycle the G19. So if you were to load separate ammo for your G34 at the PF minimum, you could greatly reduce recoil and theoretically have faster follow up shots in games. But with identical ammo, the advantage went to my G19 for me. I was unwilling to load such low power "gaming ammo" as I was afraid this would disrupt my abilities with carry ammo.

As noted above, the grip angle IS different between the G17 and G19 (although whenever I tell someone that they think I am crazy) and it just depends on which one the individual shooter is most comfortable with or gets the most trigger time with as to which gun will perform better for that person.

JV_
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
As noted above, the grip angle IS different between the G17 and G19 (although whenever I tell someone that they think I am crazy) and it just depends on which one the individual shooter is most comfortable with or gets the most trigger time with as to which gun will perform better for that person.

FWIW: My Gen 4 19s have a smaller mag well than the Gen 3 17.

markp
04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I see IDPA as a game. While there is some definite benefits from the game I DO NOT see it as a training opportunity.

I guess my question really was, "Is there any real competitive edge with any of these individual models?".gringop ....
You made some great points WRT to the pro/con of the G17 and G19. I think they pretty much mirror what I was already thinking.

I guess it really is an individual thing and didn't really expect any real answer. I just need to "talk it out". Keep the comments/thoughts coming please.

Not in my experience.
You will have to compare the 2 platforms yourself - on different days - to see if you favor one or the other.
Set up a standard 'test' , example :

dot torture drill at 3-5 yds
15 & 35 yd group size - 10 rds each
1st shot draw times from concealment at 10 yds. Only hits in the "zero" count.

That's 80 rds total and should give you a pretty good idea what you shoot best with.

Mark

VolGrad
04-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Not in my experience.
You will have to compare the 2 platforms yourself - on different days - to see if you favor one or the other.
Set up a standard 'test' , example :

dot torture drill at 3-5 yds
15 & 35 yd group size - 10 rds each
1st shot draw times from concealment at 10 yds. Only hits in the "zero" count.

That's 80 rds total and should give you a pretty good idea what you shoot best with.

Mark

Excellent idea right there. Good drills you mentioned too to test my skill with each.

markp
04-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks, I think where you will really see a difference is in which one has the better
trigger. Fortunately, the uppers are interchangable :cool:

ymmv

Mark

JHC
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
I've owned a shot a G34 and 17L a fair amount before converting them into more 19s and 17s because I didn't see much if any advantage to them shooting while I preferred to have my whole battery concealed carryable. (and I found the 34 and 17L too long for my pref IWB).

But I'm cognizant that the top shooters of IDPA or other similiar sports generally use 34's over 17's if they can. Sevigny for example. So I have generally concluded it was my shortcomings if I couldn't find an edge in the longer guns. Since your objective is high marks in this sport, I would think sticking with the 34 would be the best route.

JSGlock34
04-12-2011, 06:32 PM
My carry pistol is a G19 but I also purchased a G34 for IDPA. I find my G34 shoots a bit flatter than my G19 and that my follow up shots are quicker. But the differences are really minor and at the end of the day, I shoot my G34 most often now simply because I enjoy shooting it more than my other pistols.

jlw
04-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I have all three. The 17 is the out gun out. In all categories, I shoot the 19 better than the others. I do enjoy shooting the 34 although it took me a while to get comfortable in pushing it with speed and to get where I could shoot it to any sort of an instinctual level. I had to spend a little time on a Rogers type range to truly get comfortable with it.

The 17 has become expendable, but I am not looking to part ways with it by any means.

Occam's Razor
04-13-2011, 12:03 PM
I have both the Gen 4 / 17 and Gen 3 / 19. I feel that "at speed" I do better overall with the 19 but that may have something to do with the grip. I certainly seem to track faster and acquire faster with the 19.

jar
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm an M&P guy, but the Pro/L,FS, and C pretty much line up with the 34,17/19(in between the two), and 26. I shot the compact pretty well (better than the BHP I started with), so I borrowed a FS from a friend for a few matches. That was obviously much better, and now I own 2 5" Pro's. Shooting a tricked out Pro feels like cheating. If I were a Glock guy, it'd be 34 all the way for competition.

JonInWA
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
I have all three, and enjoy (and do decently) with all three. I seem to be fastest and index most instinctively with my Gen 3 G19, while my G34 seems to be the most accurate between the three-allthough all are quite acceptably accurate (and the Warren Tactical sights on my G34 may have more than a little to do with its exquisite accuracy).

You really won't go wrong with any of the three-quite simply, I'd just test 'em all, and go with the one that you liked the best.

Best, Jon

JodyH
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM
For me the 17/19 was faster on the draw and on transitions and the 34 was faster on splits.
I went with the 17 because the draw and transitions add up to a lot more time than splits do.

Prdator
04-15-2011, 07:09 AM
For me the 17/19 was faster on the draw and on transitions and the 34 was faster on splits.
I went with the 17 because the draw and transitions add up to a lot more time than splits do.

Jody,

How much faster was the 17 on the draw than the 34?

JodyH
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Jody,

How much faster was the 17 on the draw than the 34?

I can't remember now, but from an iwb it was noticeable.

double-Tapatalk

Texcowboy
04-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I have always shot better with 'Commander' size handguns. Possibley because I shot IPSC back in the 70's with a Colt Commander. Out of all my Glocks (I have 9) I am most accurate with my G19.

NGCSUGrad09
04-25-2011, 08:39 AM
Well, I seem to have lost the long response I typed out.

In short, the 34 has been my go to gun for a long time in anything but carry. I've fired more rounds, been to more classes, shot more matches with it than all other handguns combined. With that in mind, my 19 held my best IDPA Classifier time for a couple YEARS until I beat it with the 34 (82 secs for the 19, 79 for the 34). The 17 has always been the extra gun that was never shot and traded away if I ever picked one up.

This year I've wanted to run a 17 only for everything and see if there really was any advantage to the 34 and if it was any better than the 19. So far, my performance as been approximately the same as the 34, and for ME it has an edge over the 19. I have found that I really like the slightly larger grip of the 17/34, which gives me a little extra confidence in my shooting. Reloads are a little easier and drawing the gun is a bit faster. I believe this is due to my experience with the 34.

For now, I'd recommend the 34 as the sight radius seems to help for longer distance shots. Ask me again at the end of the year and it may be different after some more experience with the 17. Against the 17, so far all else is equal if you put a minus connector and an extended mag release on it. If you believe in the using the same gun for carry/competition/etc the 19 certainly won't hold you back.

VolGrad
04-25-2011, 08:49 AM
For now, I'd recommend the 34 as the sight radius seems to help for longer distance shots. Ask me again at the end of the year and it may be different after some more experience with the 17. Against the 17, so far all else is equal if you put a minus connector and an extended mag release on it. If you believe in the using the same gun for carry/competition/etc the 19 certainly won't hold you back.
Well, you saw me shoot the 17 in the classifier this weekend (my 34 is at GLOCK right now).

I have to say I felt really good shooting it. I felt more confident than with a 19 at the longer distances and it seemed to be faster to present and move than a 34. I am going to shoot the 17 for a while and see how it goes.

My time with the 17 was 14 seconds faster than the last run with my 34 a couple of weeks ago. That also included 3 ammo related malfunctions (bad primers). I need to drop 10 more seconds to make Expert but feel it is within my grasp.

NGCSUGrad09
04-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Well, you saw me shoot the 17 in the classifier this weekend (my 34 is at GLOCK right now).

I have to say I felt really good shooting it. I felt more confident than with a 19 at the longer distances and it seemed to be faster to present and move than a 34. I am going to shoot the 17 for a while and see how it goes.

My time with the 17 was 14 seconds faster than the last run with my 34 a couple of weeks ago. That also included 3 ammo related malfunctions (bad primers). I need to drop 10 more seconds to make Expert but feel it is within my grasp.

In your instance, you've been running the 17 a little better. Based on your results, stick with it and see what happens. I know you can get Expert no problem with the 17. I'm digging on my 17 right now..

JHC
04-25-2011, 09:24 AM
In your instance, you've been running the 17 a little better. Based on your results, stick with it and see what happens. I know you can get Expert no problem with the 17. I'm digging on my 17 right now..

Which 17 is that? ;)

NGCSUGrad09
04-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Which 17 is that? ;)

One of "limited availability." It's listed in the 2000rd challenge.