PDA

View Full Version : New sweetness

Odin Bravo One
01-29-2013, 02:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/photo12-1_zps9e2280e6.jpg

I stayed away from the .300 BLK for the longest time, mostly out of my stubborness, and refusal to change, even when an item/product has a genuine place and genuine merit.

I couldn't justify having to pay outrageous prices for ammunition, or having to handload bulk amounts of rifle ammunition. Having witnessed first hand, folks trying to save a few bucks and bringing 1500 rounds of their (556) re-loads to a three day carbine course only to have to withdraw, or buy ammunition off of other students due to their own shitty reloads. I didn't want to find myself in the same situation some day. Several hundred rounds that won't work in my gun. And knowing how easy it is to run a batch of ammo that is ever so slightly out of spec if I get overly confident (cocky) and don't maintain an anal retentive amount of attention to detail and QC.

.300 BLK just didn't make sense.

Until I saw it in a configuration that was not only very affordable to acquire.....but also very affordable to shoot.

One shot at a time.

I have not had a chance to get out and really get after it yet as I am still waiting on the arrival of dies and powder. I bought a cheap single stage press solely for this cartridge, and my hopes are that by doing small lots, I will be able to control my A.D.D. and produce quality ammo. My ideal bullets (220 grain) are sold out everywhere, or so it seems, but I did manage to track down Sub-sonic load data for both 175 and 200 grain projectiles which I have now a few hundred.

At VMI MO's SOVA range day, I broke it out during lunch to pop the proverbial "cherry" on this handi little rifle. Using factory 220 Grain subsonic ammunition, an Aimpoint T-1, and standard bullseye pistol target, I fired one round from about 40 yards offhand. Upon inspection, the one round ended up about 2" left of dead center, and given the temperature and overall fine motor skill degredation, I opted out of dialing the zero for gnat's ass precision. Instead, I passed it around to the other shooters, and let everyone have a whack at it with what little ammunition I had. We quickly turned the rifle to our steel targets out in the realm of 50 yards or so. The 220's definitely let you know you hit the target. With authority.

And quiet?

Yuuuuuuuuuuup!

I don't have anything to compare it to. It is louder than my .22LR suppressors, but not by much. Since I don't have any sound measuring equipment, any assessment I make is not technically accurate anyway. But since technical data is not available, I'll stick to colloquial terminology. It is "spooky" quiet. Being a single shot, there is no action to cycle, and being subsonic, it leaves without any crack.

"Spooky".

For the cost, I am very pleased with the results. Further data collection and operational testing will be required, and I am looking forward to it as the weather turns warmer, and I have less environmental conditions getting in my way of accurate and methodical testing.

I was impressed enough with the little AAC/H&R Handi-Rifle in .300 BLK, that I have decided a .300 BLK AR15 was in order.

My Noveske 12" .300 AAC Blackout upper should be here by the middle of next week.....................and I have a lot of work ahead of me converting 556 brass to 300BLK (thank goodness I know where to find some of that!).........cleaning, cutting, trimming, sizing, trimming again, and loading. And a nice new single stage press should hopefully help keep me honest and precise as I limit myself to 50 round lots.

Thanks to my beta testers for confirming my shit eating grin was completely justified under the circumstances.

MDS
01-29-2013, 03:13 AM
Looks good, dude! Now I'm even more bummed I couldn't make the SOVA range day....next time!

Odin Bravo One
01-29-2013, 03:33 AM
Looks good, dude! Now I'm even more bummed I couldn't make the SOVA range day....next time!

Well that, and there is always the Tommygun that gets it's fair share of playtime at the SOVA range!! Always a big hit!! BTW........where is your YouTube vid of you and the TG?

Keydet08
01-29-2013, 07:13 AM
Shooting the handi rifle was pretty awesome. Thanks for bringing it out. I don't think my wife quite understands all the cool guns she got to fire.

SGT_Calle
01-29-2013, 07:26 AM
I saw one of these at a local shop the other day and was really intrigued, thanks for the report on it.

Jay Cunningham
01-29-2013, 07:57 AM
I always like checking out "special application" guns. That looks pretty neat.

John Ralston
01-29-2013, 09:59 AM
That's awesome! I have a Model 7 SS in 223 and I have thought many times of calling up AAC and getting a new barrel in 300 BLK.

Have fun with that! Also, look at Lehigh Defense (my spelling could be off) and check out their Max Expansion pills - like an Barnes X on steroids and designed to expand at 300 BLK Sub Sonic velocities.

GJM
01-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Sean, you also need the twin to my .300 AAC, to keep your sweetness company. Very handy and it sure hits the steel hard.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/AAC-1.jpg

joshs
01-29-2013, 03:31 PM
I can confirm the "spookiness" and the authority that the 220s hit steel with.

Zhurdan
01-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Single shot = The affordable way to shoot. ;-) Fun looking little rifle.

I love mine too...
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/IMG_1685.jpg

Oh, and for a cheap way to make 300BLK brass, here's the $8.00 method I came up with...
Just cut the end off a trimmer and buzz it till you get past the shoulder. It's not exact, but you have to trim them again after sizing anyways.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/IMG_1684.jpg
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/IMG_1682.jpg

Odin Bravo One
01-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Always interesting to see various solutions to the same problems. My counterpart at work built a jig and uses a $20 rotary saw to trim very close, leaving just a touch up after sizing for final trim. I am just using his tools and set up. Once this lot of brass is prepped, and sized.........I should be good for a very, very long time. I am guessing it will take me until Labor Day to get through it all.

I'll see if I can do a decent reference photo to better display what Tom is talking about............

SeriousStudent
02-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I am curious, have you had an opportunity to try Trail Boss powder for subsonic load development? If so, what did you think of the results? If not, can you tell us what powder you did pick?

I don't have a 300 Blackout, but was interesting in developing some subsonic loads in .308 with Trail Boss and some 175 SMK's or heavier projectiles. I have a Remington 700 AAC-SD that will have a can on it someday.

Thanks very much for your time, it's an interesting concept for a rifle.

Odin Bravo One
02-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Given the state of the Union, and the panic-stripped shelves.........there is not much to report from my end on load data. I am shooting factory 220 grain SS for now until things re-appear on the shelves. I have some 175 and 200 grain SMK's, Accurate powder on the way, but for now, factory 220's is what I am shooting. Good thing I can still get my hands on it..........

JV_
02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
but was interesting in developing some subsonic loads in .308 with Trail Boss and some 175 SMK's or heavier projectiles. I have a Remington 700 AAC-SD that will have a can on it someday.

180g Sierra Pro Hunter (2170)
9.6g TrailBoss
Fed Primer

1075 fps

If you have a longer throat, you might need up to 10.4 gr of TB.

JDM
02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
180g Sierra Pro Hunter (2170)
9.6g TrailBoss
Fed Primer

1075 fps

If you have a longer throat, you might need up to 10.4 gr of TB.

What's the useful range on something like this out of a gun like Sean's?

JV_
02-02-2013, 08:22 PM
It's a fun round for banging on steel at 100 or 150, but that's about it. If you want to do anything beyond that, don't use .308, use a caliber that was created for subsonic rounds.

Odin Bravo One
02-02-2013, 09:29 PM
I picked up one of those 300 BLK handi rifles a few weeks back. It's hard to appreciate from Sean's picture alone just how compact that rifle is.

Hopefully this sheds some light on the compactness of the package.........Nighthawk for size reference.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v690/SavageHunter/photo14-1_zpsdd761be4.jpg

It is a legit 100 yard gun. With my chosen optic, for that gun......I wouldn't be bashful at taking a 150 yard shot with SS's. I do need to clean up the trigger a bit. It is serviceable, but not "clean" enough for my tastes. When I get more than five minutes, I'll strip the firing mechanism out and stone/polish it up a tad. 12" Noveske should arrive this week, but alas, that awful monkey that is work will prevent any playtime for awhile.

Jac
02-02-2013, 09:44 PM
Compact, huh? I think you get the understatement of the week trophy, Sean.

Is it an SBR, or is that standard for a Handi-Rifle?

Odin Bravo One
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
16.1".............

100% NON-NFA............(except for the can, obviously)

John Ralston
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm tempted, but would still probably end up getting the AAC Barrel for my Model 7.

Odin Bravo One
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
If I had a 556/223 bolt gun, I would totally get a barrel.........

SeriousStudent
02-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Seam M and JV, thank you both for the information. It's useful, I will dig into those projectiles.

I found an interesting book on Amazon the other day. It's the "Precision Shooting Reloading Guide". I finally found a used copy for a non-obscene price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931220123/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

It's got some interesting stuff on heavy hunting rounds that my be helpful with subsonics.

JAD
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/AAC-1.jpg

Nice chair.

joshs
02-04-2013, 07:19 PM
This was one of the four rifles on the wall at a local gun shop this weekend. I figured it was a sign. Now I need a .30 cal suppressor.

JV_
02-04-2013, 07:22 PM
This was one of the four rifles on the wall at a local gun shop this weekend. I figured it was a sign. Now I need a .30 cal suppressor.

I have (2) .30 cans, one is Ti and the other in Stainless. Perhaps we need to hit the range sometime.

Kyle Reese
02-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Nice score, Josh. :D
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Odin Bravo One
02-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Boom.

Gideon_459
02-05-2013, 12:47 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/05/9avegure.jpg
Those H&Rs are cool little rifles. My .300 started life as a Stevens .223 collecting dust in the safe. Can't wait for a suppressor for this thing.

LittleLebowski
02-05-2013, 08:01 AM
I have (2) .30 cans, one is Ti and the other in Stainless. Perhaps we need to hit the range sometime.

Josh might need to hit Phelps with us sometime......

Tamara
02-05-2013, 08:20 AM
This thread is like torture (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2584-Precision-Rifles&p=42171&viewfull=1#post42171).

JM Campbell
02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
This thread is like torture (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2584-Precision-Rifles&p=42171&viewfull=1#post42171).

I concur! I'm starting to look at my comp screen and slurring "my precious"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Odin Bravo One
02-05-2013, 07:11 PM

I'll be in Seymour 16/17 Feb. I'll bring out the Handi-R, can, and some bullets if you have a venue and would like to play with it. Steel, or some sort of noise making reactive target is ideal. I'm a little light on loaded 220 subs, but I can bring 50 or so. Let me know if you are interested, and/or available.

If that weekend won't work, I'll be back in May. Might even bring the TommyG for that trip.

SGT_Calle
03-07-2013, 03:44 AM
I've decided, I am absolutely buying a Handi.
I want a larger caliber rifle and I think this will be perfect, especially since I will be able to use my (future) Osprey .45 on it.
Going to shoot bowling pins this evening. I hope my local shop still has at least one in stock so that when I don't finish first I can ease my pain with a new rifle, lol.

Zhurdan
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
I've decided, I am absolutely buying a Handi.
I want a larger caliber rifle and I think this will be perfect, especially since I will be able to use my (future) Osprey .45 on it.
Going to shoot bowling pins this evening. I hope my local shop still has at least one in stock so that when I don't finish first I can ease my pain with a new rifle, lol.

So, what's the hardest part... paying for it, or cleaning up afterwards? ;)

SGT_Calle
03-07-2013, 04:16 PM
So, what's the hardest part... paying for it, or cleaning up afterwards? ;)

Yes.

SGT_Calle
03-09-2013, 01:32 AM
Went with the Remington model 7 in 300 blk instead (no handi-rifles). I'll start a thread once I've got it set up and tested a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odin Bravo One
03-09-2013, 10:45 AM
I too kicked that idea around, but just couldn't justify a 4th .300 BLK. Though, I do believe that you could really turn the Rem. into an uber-accurate, heavy for caliber, sub-sonic, 100 yard gun. A few tweaks here and there, and I think you have a top notch, handy little rifle. And quiet.........

Tamara
03-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Look at all these smart people buying Handi-Rifles instead of Contenders/Encores, since the latter is the firearms equivalent of drilling a hole in the bottom of your bank account, or taking up a crack habit. :o