PDA

View Full Version : Stippling vs. Grip tape

JeffJ
04-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi - been lurking since Todd started the Forum and decided to jump on in. I'm pretty new to carrying, been shooting with varying degrees of seriousness for while but would still consider myself a noob.

I've got a Glock 34 that I shoot in IDPA and at the range etc. I'm carrying a G19 in a tuckable AIWB, I'm in a tucked in golf shirt and khakis pretty much everyday - especially at work. The G34 has the Talon grip, grip tape on it and I love it - changed the entire feel of the gun for me. I put the same tape on the G19 and now my shirt grabs it like crazy and causes a bit of printing which probably isn't noticable to anyone but me, but I still worry about it.

My question is - for those of you that have stippled your grips - How does the grip feel compared to tape? and Does the stippling grab onto your clothing the tape does?

This might be a silly/minutia type question but I don't want to take off the tape and go through stippling the thing just to decide that I don't like it - or that it grabs the clothing just as bad.

Thanks

VolGrad
04-12-2011, 09:54 AM
I have two stippled GLOCKs.

Stippling all depends on what pattern/how aggressive you go with it.

If you go with an aggressive pattern then you will be in the same boat as using the grip tape.

If you go less aggressive then you sort of negate the point of stippling in the first place. My two aren't aggressive enough. They are great for carry as you stated .... no snagging on clothing ... but the same could be stated for the OEM texture on GLOCKs (and with no time or $ spent stippling them). I love the feel mine give but think they are almost too slick. The main benefit of the stipple jobs I have is the fact the grip was re-shaped slightly. This I do like. Would I do it again? Maybe. If so, I'd go with a more aggressive pattern for sure.

JeffJ
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
If you go with an aggressive pattern then you will be in the same boat as using the grip tape.

If you go less aggressive then you sort of negate the point of stippling in the first place. My two aren't aggressive enough. They are great for carry as you stated .... no snagging on clothing ... but the same could be stated for the OEM texture on GLOCKs (and with no time or $ spent stippling them).

That's what I was thinking - so now I guess I'm back to deciding whether I want the factory grip (not terrible, but not nearly as good as the tape) or the tape (great grip, but snags and prints) - and just when I finally found a holster and carry position that I like

rjohnson4405
04-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Can you get away with using less grip tape? I tape the front strap of my glock and only part of the grip that faces in toward my body.

I get some increase in grip without affecting how well the gun carries.

gringop
04-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I take a metal tool (like an old screwdriver or wrench) and knock down the grit on my grip tape so it's not so aggressive. I also don't cover the whole grip with tape. Just a bit on the front and back strap and some on the lower strong side grip. None at all on the body side grip.

Gringop

TCinVA
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
People seem to be under the impression that you have to tape up the entire grip. That's not the case. Really sit down and identify where you need more purchase on the pistol. For me it's right in the area immediately behind the trigger where the meat of my left hand exerts the most pressure on the grip:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/TCinVA/HKgrip.jpg

By placing a bit of 3M Safety Tape on that spot and that spot only, I have enough to lock my left hand in place and control the gun. My M&P's are set up with a trapezoidal shaped piece of 3M tape in the same region to add grip where I need it. Coating the whole grip in grip tape is really unnecessary for most folks.

MTechnik
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I have a G19 RTF2, and the only part I am thinking about changing is where my support side thumb rests on the frame above the trigger guard.

But at that point, because it is so wide, I think grip tape would cause holster issues. So I am looking at stippling for that extra little bit of grip.

orionz06
04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a G19 RTF2, and the only part I am thinking about changing is where my support side thumb rests on the frame above the trigger guard.

But at that point, because it is so wide, I think grip tape would cause holster issues. So I am looking at stippling for that extra little bit of grip.

I have not had issues with tape there, they will generally wear in quickly.

KentF
04-12-2011, 02:16 PM
People seem to be under the impression that you have to tape up the entire grip. That's not the case. Really sit down and identify where you need more purchase on the pistol. For me it's right in the area immediately behind the trigger where the meat of my left hand exerts the most pressure on the grip:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h353/TCinVA/HKgrip.jpg

By placing a bit of 3M Safety Tape on that spot and that spot only, I have enough to lock my left hand in place and control the gun. My M&P's are set up with a trapezoidal shaped piece of 3M tape in the same region to add grip where I need it. Coating the whole grip in grip tape is really unnecessary for most folks.

I may try that on my P30. On another note, I've heard of people cutting "reference notch" in the bottom if the trigger guard. I wonder if tape would serve a similar function?

LOKNLOD
04-12-2011, 06:51 PM
I may try that on my P30. On another note, I've heard of people cutting "reference notch" in the bottom if the trigger guard. I wonder if tape would serve a similar function?

Yes. I put a strip of grip tape on the bottom side of Glock trigger guards, it helps get a little traction for my support hand index finger.