PDA

View Full Version : AR Barrel Choice - 18" DD or MK12 ???

John Ralston
01-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Wanting to build a long range upper, and it will definitely have an 18" tube on it. Two options I am looking at are the 18" DD CM barrel, CHF, Chrome Lined and the Centurion Arms MK12, SS Barrel (Made by the same Co. who makes the MK12 Barrel for the Military). I probably would never shoot out the SS Barrel, but I do like the fact that the DD Barrel comes with Chrome Lining (with the result probably being a lesser degree of accuracy).

Anyone here have experience with either of these - good or bad?

orionz06
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
No experience but for long range with the options listed I would only look at the Centurion Arms. Their 18" barrels come up in almost all of these conversations and anyone who matters suggests them.

Kyle Reese
01-27-2013, 04:53 PM
No experience with the DD 18", but I have the Centurion Arms MK 12 Mod 1 upper to my left as we speak. Monty built it for me a few years ago and it was worth every penny. It's been extremely accurate with BHA and Prvi 75's.

You should just have Monty build you a MK 12 upper, buy a NF 2.5-10x32 and call it a day.

John Ralston
01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Met Monty at SHOT, and was really leaning that way, but I hate to start any build with only one option. I will be using his new rail for sure - it IS the shit.

Kyle Reese
01-27-2013, 05:12 PM
If you want more options, you should contact Wes Grant at MSTN.

Not sure what he's got in stock at the moment, but he's built me about a dozen uppers over the last 5 years.

Be prepared to pay the same or more than an upper from Centurion Arms, however.

John Ralston
01-27-2013, 05:15 PM
If you want more options, you should contact Wes Grant at MSTN.

I am cool with Centurion for sure ... just didn't want to sound like I had made up my mind while still asking for input.

Dagga Boy
01-27-2013, 11:56 PM
You met the right guy for the job. I use a lot of Monty's stuff, and did a review of his MK12 and MK12K (which I REALLY liked). For a AR precision system, the only two I would really look at would be one of Monty's guns or a LaRue OBR or Stealth in 5.56. I have become very good friends with Monty over the years, so I am biased, but I started out as a customer.

GJM
01-28-2013, 12:10 AM
How does someone get one of these top ends from Monty -- just call him up?

JM Campbell
01-28-2013, 12:15 AM
How does someone get one of these top ends from Monty -- just call him up?

http://www.centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=138

John Ralston
01-28-2013, 02:51 PM
buy a NF 2.5-10x32 and call it a day.

I think I will probably end up with a Leupold CQBSS 1.1-8 when all is said and done.

Suvorov
01-28-2013, 03:10 PM
Been real happy with my 18" BCM SS Barrel. Will hold an honest MOA with me behind the trigger out to 300 yards using BHA 69gr. If you can find them, I'd highly recommend looking at BCMs 18" line up as well. Innerweb lore on them is that they are made for BCM by one of the top notch makers as well :confused:

Odin Bravo One
01-28-2013, 11:08 PM
You met the right guy for the job. I use a lot of Monty's stuff, and did a review of his MK12 and MK12K (which I REALLY liked). For a AR precision system, the only two I would really look at would be one of Monty's guns or a LaRue OBR or Stealth in 5.56. I have become very good friends with Monty over the years, so I am biased, but I started out as a customer.

Hands down, my favorite long range AR in 556 is my 24" custom Noveske SPR. Custom cut chamber, custom rifling, hand fittings, blah blah blah. It will shoot 1/2 minute all day with Mk262.

However, since that was a one of a kind, built by John, and no longer an option............if I needed a precision, 1/2-3/4 MOA 556 AR type rifle, I would start at Centurion. And I would stop there as well.

In the interest of full disclosure, I too am biased. Triple "L" is my buddy. But that doesn't change the fact that he builds some super accurate AR's. I have recommended his work to many friends, coworkers, and shooting buddies, including members of this board. I have yet to hear a negative comment, remark, or assessment of his tools.

John Ralston
01-28-2013, 11:13 PM
On top of that, Monty is one hell of a nice guy. He brought his new rail by the booth, and treated everyone like an old friend (and that was the first time I had met him).

I am sure I will be conversing with him on this project after the blitz from SHOT dies down.

GJM
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
How does the weight of Monty's upper compare with a Larue PredatAR or PredatOBR in 5.56?