PDA

View Full Version : Ammo Shortage - What the heck?!?!

Panoply
01-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Hi Y'all,

I went online to buy my ammunition as I always do from Cheaper Than Dirt and EVERYTHING IS SOLD OUT! Not just the .223's I was after but just about everything I have a weapon that shoots! What's going on? Anyone have any idea? Oh, it wasn't just CTD, everywhere I looked was either totally out or very limited. Thanks for telling me what the heck's going on.

Pano

Byron
01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Short answer: panic buying
Long answer: read pretty much any thread on this forum from the last month that has more than 20 posts
See also: Sandy Hook, gun control, NY, supply/demand, panic, previous ammo shortages

All due respect, but it's very hard for me to believe that you're asking a genuine question (especially when within the last 24 hours there are active threads like this discussing the topic: Ammo Availability Is Going To Get Tighter (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?6803-Ammo-Availability-Is-Going-To-Get-Tighter))

CCT125US
01-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Let's play nice. Not everyone is following current events on this site. I had several students just this past weekend who where shocked they couldn't get ammo for target practice. They had no idea current events led to shortages, and hoarding, and price gauging, etc. Some have been through it before and understand, but there is a whole new generation of shooters since the AWB of '94

ST911
01-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Regional and vendor dependent. It may not be a particular sku or price point you want, but its out there if you look. Several Cabelas I've been to in the last few weeks have been pretty well stocked on pistol ammo, 7.62x39, and various hunting cartridges. .308 and .223 in much shorter supply, but some could be had.

LOKNLOD
01-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Giving the benefit of the doubt that the OP was genuinely unaware of the current goings-on -- then Panolopy and anyone else in a similar status, PLEASE, go update yourself on the current situation (plenty of threads right here on this forum), get involved with contacting your representative and senators, voice your opposition to new legislation, and join/renew/upgrade with the NRA (SAF, GAO, JFPO, EIEIO, whatever) and stay informed because we're in for a fight.

JM Campbell
01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Giving the benefit of the doubt that the OP was genuinely unaware of the current goings-on -- then Panolopy and anyone else in a similar status, PLEASE, go update yourself on the current situation (plenty of threads right here on this forum), get involved with contacting your representative and senators, voice your opposition to new legislation, and join/renew/upgrade with the NRA (SAF, GAO, JFPO, EIEIO, whatever) and stay informed because we're in for a fight.

AMEN Brother!

Tamara
01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Re: The ammo shortage, from the Boston Globe...

There's an old Boston story of a 19th-century Brahmin matron whose New York counterpart asks where Boston women buy their hats. "Buy our hats?" replies the Beacon Hill blueblood. "We have our hats." (http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/03/29/strait_up/)

Panoply
02-08-2013, 08:54 AM
Hah! It took me a couple of seconds to get it, but that was funny Tamara. No, I have not been keeping up with current events. I mean, I knew about the almost certain 'assault' weapons/ hi-cap magazine ban coming and responded accordingly. I'm now swimming in magazines. I had NO idea ammo would be scarce. I honestly do not believe the feds will even attempt going after ammo. The absolute worst case possible (imo) is requiring some silly-arse background check.
I buy my ammo by the 1,000 and have been pretty well set up. I have less than a hundred rounds for my AR, though. I went to CTD to re-up some .223 and got a rude awakening.
I understand panic buying (now i do, i didn't anticipate it, tho) but what do y'all mean when you speak of ammo shortages of the past? Where they consumer driven like this one or something like distribution/manufacture problems?

Sunday
07-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Hah! It took me a couple of seconds to get it, but that was funny Tamara. No, I have not been keeping up with current events. I mean, I knew about the almost certain 'assault' weapons/ hi-cap magazine ban coming and responded accordingly. I'm now swimming in magazines. I had NO idea ammo would be scarce. I honestly do not believe the feds will even attempt going after ammo. The absolute worst case possible (imo) is requiring some silly-arse background check.
I buy my ammo by the 1,000 and have been pretty well set up. I have less than a hundred rounds for my AR, though. I went to CTD to re-up some .223 and got a rude awakening.
I understand panic buying (now i do, i didn't anticipate it, tho) but what do y'all mean when you speak of ammo shortages of the past? Where they consumer driven like this one or something like distribution/manufacture problems?panic buying.

Rich
07-25-2013, 03:04 PM
Let's play nice. Not everyone is following current events on this site. I had several students just this past weekend who where shocked they couldn't get ammo for target practice. They had no idea current events led to shortages, and hoarding, and price gauging, etc. Some have been through it before and understand, but there is a whole new generation of shooters since the AWB of '94

I haven't seen anything like this! And Ive been shooting since the 70`s.

I also don't think the cause is gun control panic or hording or a lack of copper / lead etc.

I do remember back around 2003 ammo price started to go up.
Troy warned us on another forum ahead of time.
Always wonder how he knew ? I miss q3131 being 2.88 cents

Sunday
10-03-2013, 10:06 PM
. Always wonder how he knew ? I miss q3131 being 2.88 cents The writing has been on the wall for years and years All you have to do is take the time to read it . I would say we are really screwed and not just with the ammo problem.