PDA

View Full Version : What is meant by 'mindset and tactics?

Panoply
01-25-2013, 10:11 AM
The title says it all. Please explain it politely. Thanks.

JAD
01-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Never mind me!

David Armstrong
01-25-2013, 05:19 PM
It differs from person to person, Panoply. I don't know what Todd had in mind when he titled the subforum, but I can give you my view, I'm sure others have their own.
Mindset is your attitude toward something. If we are here talking about self defense, for example, do you focus on an aggresssive take the fight to the BG attitude, or do you focus on a defensive posture trying to avoid as much involvement as is practical? Do you think like a wolverine or a porcupine?
Tactics are techniques for using skills and weapons to achieve your objective. Different mindsets may suggest different tactics.

Turn Key
01-28-2013, 09:27 AM
The following link will take you to a source to buy the best DVD on the topic of Mindset.

This was produced by Gabe Suarez, one of the best gun fighting instructors in the USA.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/mindset-alectureonthethreephasesofthegunfight-dvdbygabrielsuarez.aspx#.UQaJ-2f-is4

TK

JodyH
01-28-2013, 05:17 PM
This was produced by Gabe Suarez, one of the best gun fighting instructors in the USA.
Ummm... I disagree.

That's all I can say and stay within forum guidelines.

jetfire
01-28-2013, 05:24 PM
...Gabe Suarez, one of the best gun fighting instructors in the USA.

TK

I imagine that the only people who would agree with that statement are also former students of Gabe Suarez.

Like Jody, I too disagree with this assessment.

David Armstrong
01-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I imagine that the only people who would agree with that statement are also former students of Gabe Suarez.

Like Jody, I too disagree with this assessment.
Chalk up another in diagreement with the assessment. I might go so far as to reverse the sentiment.

Panoply
01-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks David Armstrong, that is a good definition. What I meant though was what is the one advocated most here? The honey badger or the porcupine? I think by nature I'm the latter.

That there is a certain mindset to have that best prepares you for when the shooting starts I do not doubt. But how can someone know what their reaction would be unless it happened to them? What I've done is try to imagine every scenario and decide on what actions I'd take given different variables. But I recognize that all that could go right out the window when the lead flies. Is that about the best a person can do, reflect on scenarios?

Tactics I better understand. HOWEVER, I have never looked into how to put it into practice in an indicidual setting. Only tactics in the sense of maneuvering men in battle (especially early modern european battles) as I am a history buff and tooks my degrees in it. One on one? Not studied the subject at all. Run if possible, shoot if not?

Odin Bravo One
01-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Not studied the subject at all. Run if possible, shoot if not?

The same principles apply.........

"To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without ever fighting, that is the highest skill".

Run if possible is a tactic. Shoot if not? A tactic.

What about not even being there.....? Mindset. And tactics. And sound decision making.

All greatly reduce the chances of needing to run. Or shoot.

Lomshek
01-30-2013, 12:26 AM
My own personal definitions. I bet you can get a different answer from just about everyone.

Mindset (in the martial sense) - The thought process with which you approach everything from training to interactions with the public.

Tactics - What you do and how you do everything from avoiding conflict to navigating conflict.

Haraise
01-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Chalk up another in diagreement with the assessment. I might go so far as to reverse the sentiment.

Another person warning away from taking that 'trainer' seriously in any way.

NETim
01-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Mindset: The understanding that bad things happen to good people in the darndest of places and that there's nothing special about me that makes me immune to these bad things. Since I know that despite my best efforts to avoid conflict trouble may still find me, when I see it coming, accept the reality and react, NOW!

Tactics: Awareness, avoidance, people skills (de-escalation) and if all that fails, being as proficient as possible in a variety of methods for self-defense. Be nice to everyone you meet but have a plan to kill them. :)

ezthumper
01-30-2013, 09:28 AM
I bet you can get a different answer from just about everyone.

This.

Ones mind set is in itself as unique as an individuals personality or finger print. Even after special training, study, military style indoctrination or religious affiliations, the "one" will share a common goal, and may act in a similar fashion, but the individual will have views that differ in various degrees.

Tamara
01-30-2013, 10:46 AM
I use four key tactics (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-not-get-killed.html), as dictated by my mindset.

jetfire
01-30-2013, 10:54 AM
I use four key tactics (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2009/07/how-to-not-get-killed.html), as dictated by my mindset.

I prefer to use the Caleb Giddings Personal Combat Safety Triad (c)(r)tm:

Don't do stupid things
in stupid places
with stupid people

Strategically Tactical.

NETim
01-30-2013, 11:12 AM
I prefer to use the Caleb Giddings Personal Combat Safety Triad (c)(r)tm:

Don't do stupid things
in stupid places
with stupid people

Strategically Tactical.

Sounds familiar. :) Bet it works about 99.9% of the time too.

David Armstrong
01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
That there is a certain mindset to have that best prepares you for when the shooting starts I do not doubt. But how can someone know what their reaction would be unless it happened to them?
You can't, you can only hope. The visualization process (thinking about scenarios) helps a lot, IMO. But I've seen what I thought was the best of the bunch fold under pressure, and conversely I've seen folks that I was sure couldn't cut it rise to the top. I've got some theories on it but i'm too lazy to test them!:o

Hatchetman
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
For me mindset is the conscious will to adapt to and overcome the challenges one faces. Tactics are the tools and techniques one has at hand to meet that end.

Casual Friday
02-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Mindset is the same for me everywhere I go, but tactics and hardware can be tailored to the occasion.