PDA

View Full Version : Pepper spray suggestions

Silvershadow
01-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on a good pepper spray to carry as a part of my EDC gear. There are lots of options out there so I am unsure what's good and what isn't.

Thank you for any input and here's hoping this thread turns out better than my last one.

HCL3
01-24-2013, 11:32 PM
This one was recommended over at TPI. It's easier to aim than the ones that come in the aerosol type cans. Training cartridges are available too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077SYCPM?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

willowofwisp
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
JPX pixeon projector...I carry one in a raven VG when I can't carry a firearm.

SmokeJumper
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Anything from DefTech, Defense Technologies is a good top notch mfg of pepper spray

Savage Hands
01-25-2013, 06:17 PM
I've had very good results with Fox Labs on humans and "Pit Bulls"

SecondsCount
01-25-2013, 06:53 PM
I've had very good results with Fox Labs on humans and "Pit Bulls"

I have a friend that is an ex-bounty hunter.

To become a bounty hunter he had to take a class and every day in the 5 day class they had to get sprayed. He said that on the last day the hit him with Fox Labs and that it was wicked. So bad that if he would have been hit with it on the first day he would have never come back.

SamuelBLong
01-25-2013, 07:00 PM

To become a bounty hunter he had to take a class and every day in the 5 day class they had to get sprayed. He said that on the last day the hit him with Fox Labs and that it was wicked. So bad that if he would have been hit with it on the first day he would have never come back.

I have been hit on accident with Fox Labs 5.3, and on purpose with Defense Technology .4% during training.

Defense Tech is pretty nasty.

Fox Labs puts hell in a can.

That is all.

SeriousStudent
01-25-2013, 07:16 PM
What does the hive mind think about the Fox Mean Green? I keep cans of that stashed in many places.

Silvershadow
01-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will look into what you guys have mentioned.

Savage Hands
01-26-2013, 11:20 AM
What does the hive mind think about the Fox Mean Green? I keep cans of that stashed in many places.

Never used it, I don't see why it wouldn't be effective.

Savage Hands
01-26-2013, 11:23 AM

When I was "certified" as a guard to carry the larger cans of OC years ago, it was a 4 hour class with me walking into a cloud of Fox at the end, I'm just gladd I was sprayed directly i the face with it.

TGS
01-26-2013, 01:05 PM
This one was recommended over at TPI. It's easier to aim than the ones that come in the aerosol type cans. Training cartridges are available too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077SYCPM?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links

I went over TPI and only found one thread with this discussed. Do you have any other references to it?

The reason I ask is because that one thread wasn't very compelling to make me buy it, and invest in it as a tool that I could commit to during a confrontation. It seems that most people in that thread agreed it fell apart very easily, and the one guy's sister even had hers go off in her bag because the mechanism is pretty chinsy.

Also, can anyone comment on the size? Here in NJ we're limited to .75oz, which I've always heard is so small as to be about useless. This Spitfire unit is even smaller, at .21oz. Comments on how small a canister can be while still being suitable are appreciated!

nalesq
01-28-2013, 11:59 AM
The reason I ask is because that one thread wasn't very compelling to make me buy it, and invest in it as a tool that I could commit to during a confrontation. It seems that most people in that thread agreed it fell apart very easily, and the one guy's sister even had hers go off in her bag because the mechanism is pretty chinsy.

Also, can anyone comment on the size? Here in NJ we're limited to .75oz, which I've always heard is so small as to be about useless. This Spitfire unit is even smaller, at .21oz. Comments on how small a canister can be while still being suitable are appreciated!

After attending ECQC, I realized the utility of OC during the MUC phase of an encounter. After testing a few different models (in terms of ease of carry and deployment), I settled on the Spitfire as well. I carry it on my keychain, so that I can casually hold my keys in my hand along with the Spitfire device while I am doing something like refueling my vehicle, without alarming anyone. I think if it were any bigger, it would be difficult to carry in my pocket.

The capacity is sufficient for my purposes, which is to buy me a second or two to improve my position during MUC. I have no need to have enough OC to chastise a mob of disgruntled hippies or anything like that.

As for durability, it's a $12 piece of virtually disposable gear that is easily replaceable if it looks like its going to "fall apart." You could even just replace it proactively every couple months, if that's a concern, which so far it has not been for me.

Keebsley
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Current OC Instructor with DOC. We all carry Sabre Red. Don't know how many times I've been sprayed in the face, gassed, etc. Works well on all of the offenders that I've used it on or seen it used on. Plus side, is that it has a bright highlighter orange dye in it so you'll be able to see where you are spraying and if any adjustments need to be made. Comes in stream, fog/cone, or foam. Good times had by all.

Chuck Haggard
01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
Over the years I have noted almost every single OC failure on the street that I have logged has involved either Def Tech or First Defense OC. Weak sauce, quite literally.

The very best OC I have ever been hit with has been the Saber Red. Their OC and delivery systems are second to none. I have been teaching OC since about 1989, and been sprayed more than 50 times with almost every available OC ever made.

Coyotesfan97
01-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Another vote for Sabre Red. One of the best OC sprays I've used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay
01-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Sabre Red and Fox labs are the two best that I have found.

Turn Key
02-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I do have many cans of pepper spray on hand, but have an alternative for you...

WASP spray is also very effective for spraying the BG. The reach is sometimes greater than the pepper
spray and can be very effective when used from a vehicle. My wife carries a wasp spray can on the front
seat of her car and has practiced spraying it out the car window.

Just a good alternative.

TK

nalesq
02-03-2013, 11:26 AM

WASP spray is also very effective for spraying the BG. The reach is sometimes greater than the pepper
spray and can be very effective when used from a vehicle. My wife carries a wasp spray can on the front

Just a good alternative.

TK

I have no doubt it would suck to get hit in the face with wasp spray, but because it's essentially a poison, I don't think it's a good choice for situations that don't justify use of deadly force. The resulting potential liability does not seem worthwhile when good quality OC works fine.

Chuck Haggard
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Just a good alternative.

TK

Use of wasp spray would be deadly force in my book, as in causing death or great bodily harm.

I know of a couple of local assaults using bug spray, one resulted in the person being blinded. All bug sprays are some sort of organophosphate as far as I know, which is basically the same as really weak nerve gas.

BTW, I have seen oven cleaner and carb cleaner also used on people, also with really bad outcomes to the sprayee.

The Saber Red Crossfire units have pretty good reach compared to other OC sprays, like 15-18 feet indoors. One could use this as a "back the fuck up" stand off tool without getting charged with Agg. Battery or some such thing.

peterb
02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I would consider being sprayed with organophosphate as deadly force.

It'd be one thing if you were attacked in your garage and happened to grab the nearest can. But making a choice to carry it when there are known, tested nonlethal alternatives? You may be setting yourself up for a bad time in court.

NCMedic
02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Fox Labs... That's it.
Stream if you are going to be outside in the wind a lot to minimize blow back, cone if wind isn't a concern, cone seems to be inhaled a lot more and possibly is more effective.
No bug spray, hair spray, etc... Just get some actual OC.

Most bug sprays are pyrethoids and not organophospates.

Sent from this using that...