PDA

View Full Version : Mission Belt as conceal carry belt

Silvershadow
01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried mission belts as a gun belt. The ratcheting closure seems like it would be ideal for this type of applications and from what I have seen online, at least, they seem to be high quality.

http://missionbelt.com

Your thoughts?

orionz06
01-22-2013, 02:10 PM
I'll order one today, I like it.

Silvershadow
01-22-2013, 02:33 PM
I'll order one today, I like it.

Curiosity question....are you going with the standard size or the 3 bar 40 mm size?

orionz06
01-22-2013, 02:54 PM
40mm for sure.

ubervic
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried mission belts as a gun belt. The ratcheting closure seems like it would be ideal for this type of applications and from what I have seen online, at least, they seem to be high quality.

http://missionbelt.com

Your thoughts?

The Mission Belt seems like a good-looking rig. My only hesitation is that the description on their FAQ page says that the leather is soft and supple. I'm sure it's a nice belt for general use, but not so sure it is the right setup for carrying IWB.

Hate to crash your thread, but I just got a Tow Belt yesterday from Saddleback Leather. It's awesome! Not cheap, but it's the nicest general/gunbelt I've ever had. Thick and sturdy enough to support my MP9FS easily at AIWB, but does NOT scream 'gunbelt'.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Tow-Belt?sc=8&category=1280

Shokr21
01-22-2013, 07:00 PM
I sent them an email with a couple questions. I'll report back what they say.

I've lost 20 pounds in the last 2 1/2 weeks and am planning on losing another 25 so this belt is ideal for me.

It has a good price tag and looks pretty good too imho.

We'll see how they reply to my email.

Thanks for the link

Silvershadow
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
I am glad others find this interesting as well. I also like the charity aspect of the belt. I am very interested in seeing the responses to your email. Thanks for doing that!

orionz06
01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
FYI, it looks like the length can be trimmed.

They have them on Amazon.

Super J
01-22-2013, 08:22 PM
I never heard of them. Thanks for sharing

kodiakpb
01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Are you looking for a reinforced dress type belt or a honest to goodness gun belt?

GJM
01-22-2013, 08:37 PM
The Mission Belt seems like a good-looking rig. My only hesitation is that the description on their FAQ page says that the leather is soft and supple. I'm sure it's a nice belt for general use, but not so sure it is the right setup for carrying IWB.

Hate to crash your thread, but I just got a Tow Belt yesterday from Saddleback Leather. It's awesome! Not cheap, but it's the nicest general/gunbelt I've ever had. Thick and sturdy enough to support my MP9FS easily at AIWB, but does NOT scream 'gunbelt'.

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Tow-Belt?sc=8&category=1280

While taste is individual, I wouldn't be caught wearing the Mission Belt, even if it took .2 off my draw. Now the Saddlebackleather belt is something I would wear when I don't have my Wilderness belt on.

Shokr21
01-22-2013, 08:38 PM
kind of both, but more a good looking dress belt.

I'm a college student. I leave my gun in my car in an off campus parking lot.

I won't carry into a job interview and I doubt I'll carry while working in an office building (on body carry anyway, more than likely have a g17 in a bag).

I have webbing and leather gun belts, that do their job. This is just a good looking belt imho, it'd be a bonus if it could do duty as gun belt as well.

Shokr21
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
So, instead of replying to my email the owner of the company, Nate, called me today.

We had a 10 minute talk and he seemed like a very genuine and proud company owner. He told me that he has been carrying concealed for over 12 years and for the last two he has been using his company's belt. He carries a beretta 92 in a milt sparks iwb. He recommends the 40mm belts for cc duty.

He told me that for a concealed weapon and magazine this belt is just right, not too rigid, but not flimsy. He stated that while the belt wouldn't support duty equipment (a cops duty belt with all the bat gear attached) it is perfect for his use, one fullsize gun and 1 magazine.

He also gave me his personal email, if anyone would like it pm me.

I'll be ordering a belt tonight, I'll try to give a report after a couple of weeks of running it.

Silvershadow
01-23-2013, 09:05 PM
So, instead of replying to my email the owner of the company, Nate, called me today.

We had a 10 minute talk and he seemed like a very genuine and proud company owner. He told me that he has been carrying concealed for over 12 years and for the last two he has been using his company's belt. He carries a beretta 92 in a milt sparks iwb. He recommends the 40mm belts for cc duty.

He told me that for a concealed weapon and magazine this belt is just right, not too rigid, but not flimsy. He stated that while the belt wouldn't support duty equipment (a cops duty belt with all the bat gear attached) it is perfect for his use, one fullsize gun and 1 magazine.

He also gave me his personal email, if anyone would like it pm me.

I'll be ordering a belt tonight, I'll try to give a report after a couple of weeks of running it.

Wow I have to say that's an example of true customer service. The simple act of a 10 minute phone call made you a buying customer. That really impresses me.

needbullets
01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Integrity counts.

Silvershadow
01-24-2013, 02:16 PM
I have used a 40 mm mission belt for CC for several months now. they are a bargain, $40. You will not find a better belt for CC because it fits perfectly every time, better than an instructors belt, which is my second favorite belt. Its not super rigid, but it doesn't twist or bend. I have no complaints. I pack a sig 228 and a Milt sparks versa max2. I bought mine after I saw it on a guy at the airport in la going through security, when he took it off I noticed that it worked differently. after we got through I asked him about it, he said that he had bought it after seeing Wally Joiner the base ball player wearing one on the golf course somewhere in Utah.

I think these guys are really going to revolutionize the way we all wear belts in the CC world, you can literally adjust the belt without taking it of, one click up or down anytime, with out taking out your gun or losing your pants. I contacted them about future products and they said they will be coming out with a line of Gun Specific belts next year. I guess they have lots of interest. I didn't speak to the owner, but I was helped by a fantastic customer service rep who sent me a personalized hand written note with my order. These guys have no issues about customer service, I have gotten used to hold times, 24-48 hour email responses etc, these guys responded to me in 10 minutes at the most. It was a thoughtful email and it probably took 10 minutes to write. I think Nate the owner must be as good at hiring people as he is at making awesome belts. I now own three, I bought my forst one off amazon then two from their website. I have a 35 mm black belt I wear with a suit and two 40 mm, one in brown and one in black.

Whats really cool to is that The Mission Belt Co. gives money every time they sell a belt to help people feed them selves. Thats true conservatism. no administration fees, straight to the people that need it. Most companies I have dealt with dont care much about me as a customer let alone anone else, these guys do and they even help total strangers become self sufficient. Instead of dropping a bag of rice on someone from a black hawk, these guys are helping people get on their own two feet.

My belts have all shipped form a Utah warehouse and arrive with tracking. Buy one, it is insane how cool these are. A deal so good, its dumb.

Thank you for the review and the additional information. I randomly stumbled upon the through some amazon searches. I am glad to hear how much they care for their customers and I really liked the charitable aspect once I started looking into them more. I am definitely going to get myself one of these. Seems too good to pass up. Oh and their FAQ is hilarious.

needbullets
01-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Integrity counts.

RoyGBiv
01-24-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the mission belt. I'm needing a new dress black belt and will give them a look-see.

Another option for a low cost brown casual belt is this one:
http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_brown_buy.html

Quite sturdy. I use this one on the occasions where my Atlas is not appropriate.
I punched extra holes between every existing one and the adjustability is great.

Kyle Reese
01-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Needbullets,
If you're affiliated with any company or manufacturer, you need to disclose it in your sig line.

Also, here are the rules of the forum as they pertain to Astroturfing (http://pistol-forum.com/misc.php?do=showrules).

IV. A note about "astroturfing"

We require disclosure of industry ties/links on this forum as a way of helping our membership determine the validity of advice and opinions that are shared on the forum. If we find that someone who is giving rave reviews of a product or service has an interest in that product/service that they have not disclosed, we will immediately ban them. If we find that someone has signed up for the forum solely to push their product/service in discussions, we will immediately ban them. If we find that someone has created multiple accounts, one to advertise a product/service and the other shell accounts to generate rave reviews for the product while appearing to be customers, we will immediately ban them. To be perfectly clear: We despise astroturfing and will mercilessly crush it on this forum.

needbullets
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Integrity counts.

Silvershadow
01-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the mission belt. I'm needing a new dress black belt and will give them a look-see.

Another option for a low cost brown casual belt is this one:
http://www.hanksclothing.com/amish_belts_brown_buy.html

Quite sturdy. I use this one on the occasions where my Atlas is not appropriate.
I punched extra holes between every existing one and the adjustability is great.

Thanks for sharing Roy....that does look like a nice belt.

TCinVA
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
I wish I were in the industry! Lol. I work for a large car dealer. :) its an awesome product, thats why it gets a great rave review. I won't be offended or really care if you want to delete my post. Just trying to add to the comunity. You should try one though... Pretty sweet

We're fine with people adding to the community...it's just that when someone is just up the road from the company they're praising to high heaven with all of 3 posts on the forum...all of them about this company they're right next to...it seems suspicious.

We're fine with people from manufacturers/retailers/etc participating on the forum and even talking about their products...but we require disclosure so that other members of the forum can take that information into consideration when making purchasing decisions.

EDIT -

Mr. Holzapfel:

You would have been more than welcome to post about your company's products had you simply disclosed your interest in Mission Belts. Why you chose, instead, to ignore our rules about industry disclosure is beyond me...but it doesn't speak well for you as an individual or for potential dealings with your company.

Honesty up front is all we ask...and it's a pretty good policy if you wish to be taken seriously.

Silvershadow
01-24-2013, 04:50 PM
We're fine with people adding to the community...it's just that when someone is just up the road from the company they're praising to high heaven with all of 3 posts on the forum...all of them about this company they're right next to...it seems suspicious.

We're fine with people from manufacturers/retailers/etc participating on the forum and even talking about their products...but we require disclosure so that other members of the forum can take that information into consideration when making purchasing decisions.

EDIT -

Mr. Holzapfel:

You would have been more than welcome to post about your company's products had you simply disclosed your interest in Mission Belts. Why you chose, instead, to ignore our rules about industry disclosure is beyond me...but it doesn't speak well for you as an individual or for potential dealings with your company.

Honesty up front is all we ask...and it's a pretty good policy if you wish to be taken seriously.

Well that blows. Was hoping this was a decent company. This brings the whole company into question. If willing to misrepresent themselves do they really do the charitable work they claim?

Shokr21
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Apparently a lot happened since I talked to Nate @ Mission Belt yesterday.

My gut feeling from our phone conversation was that he was a stand up guy, who believed in his company's products.

I've ordered, and I won't cancel my order, because I still think it's an interesting design.

Was it figured out who needsbullets is? I have a hard time believing he'd be the same guy I talked to on the phone.

In our email correspondence he sent me a picture of his EDC stuff, looked pretty similar to mine, (gun, holster, folder, mag and pouch, and light).

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I understand that if all 3 posts from the banned individual were in this thread, giving rave reviews I too would be suspicious. I am in no way affiliated with any manufacturer or distributor of anything, I just try to seek out the good, small shops and give them my business.

I took Todd's word for VCD 1911 grips and I think they're the best thing since sliced bread, grip wise on a 1911. So thanks Todd, and thanks to everyone here who gives (honest) reviews of products that you use or find interesting.

Silvershadow
01-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Apparently a lot happened since I talked to Nate @ Mission Belt yesterday.

My gut feeling from our phone conversation was that he was a stand up guy, who believed in his company's products.

I've ordered, and I won't cancel my order, because I still think it's an interesting design.

Was it figured out who needsbullets is? I have a hard time believing he'd be the same guy I talked to on the phone.

In our email correspondence he sent me a picture of his EDC stuff, looked pretty similar to mine, (gun, holster, folder, mag and pouch, and light).

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I understand that if all 3 posts from the banned individual were in this thread, giving rave reviews I too would be suspicious. I am in no way affiliated with any manufacturer or distributor of anything, I just try to seek out the good, small shops and give them my business.

I took Todd's word for VCD 1911 grips and I think they're the best thing since sliced bread, grip wise on a 1911. So thanks Todd, and thanks to everyone here who gives (honest) reviews of products that you use or find interesting.

They didn't remove his posts lightly. Some background digging was done and the staff was able to prove their suspicions. They gave him a chanc to come clean and he chose to continue the lie. They also found the belts are made in china and imported if that makes a difference for you.

GJM
01-24-2013, 08:06 PM
1) Not that it is in question, but as to VCD grips, I have personally known David B, the owner, for a number of years and he is a talented shooter, ethical guy and terrific individual.

2) I may not be the style maven, but I have to say when I first saw the link to that belt and looked at it, it sure didn't look like something that would work for me.

Shokr21
01-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Yes, Mr. Holzapfel, AKA needbullets, is the owner of ZJH Holdings LLC of which missionbelt.com is a subsidiary.

It's too bad, all he had to do was be honest and he would have been welcome here. Unfortunately, he chose a less honorable route (and implemented it in a slipshod manner) and is now banned. Everyone is welcome here, just be honest.

I agree, it's too easy for a person with connections to simply state those connections. I sincerely hope that the company is not being judged by a single person's misguided actions regardless of who that person may be.

Like I previously stated, Nate seemed to me to be genuine and sincere individual. I have no stake in the product or company, just wanted to pass along my good experience with the individual who contacted me.

I'll be updating this thread when my belt arrives. If all else fails, I do need a new dress belt.

Silvershadow
01-24-2013, 10:45 PM
It sucks i just wanted opinions on a belt I was curious about and then drama. Oh the fun of the interwebz.

Super J
01-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Wow. This thread has had a few twists and turns.

Integrity counts and I'm glad to see that the forum is guarded sufficiently to root out the short cut masters in disguise.

Shokr21
01-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Got my belt in today. Looks good and fits well. I am not going to make a glowing report on the stiffness of the belt, it's rigidity is more akin to a standard department store belt.

I think it could still do in a pinch, I'd just have to really cinch down the belt in order to secure the holster and gun, which wouldn't be much of an issue.

Overall, good looking belt, interesting design, I just don't think it's going to replace the belts that I already have for edc duty (when I'm able to carry). Eh, needed a new dress belt anyway.

Noleshooter
01-27-2013, 02:54 PM
I can echo Shockr's post.

Ordered the 40mm "steel" version and it's actually a pretty nice belt and it functions well, but it's certainly no gun belt. Very soft leather with no more stiffness than a decent dress belt. I'm still happy with it, but wouldn't recommend it specifically as a carry belt.