PDA

View Full Version : "We're a nation of warriors, and most of us don't have a war."

JHC
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
A very interesting article I found via Raven Concealment's FB page. Personally I don't think, care or opine much about video games. But that is the author's forte. Apart from his thoughts on specific video gaming policy he makes some pretty good observations about the cart and the horse.

And he's funny as hell doing it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-truth-about-guns-video-games/

WobblyPossum
01-21-2013, 06:43 PM
A very interesting article I found via Raven Concealment's FB page. Personally I don't think, care or opine much about video games. But that is the author's forte. Apart from his thoughts on specific video gaming policy he makes some pretty good observations about the cart and the horse.

And he's funny as hell doing it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-truth-about-guns-video-games/
It comes down to the same issues that gun control does. We already have rules, whether those rules are "Don't Murder People" or "You may not buy this game/see this movie if you're under 17." If we're not bothering to enforce the rules already in place, maybe we shouldn't be zealously screaming for new ones.

NickA
01-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Read that a few days ago (actually I think I posted it here somewhere) and I agree. Sort of ties into something Kyle Defoor posted about kids not getting out and hunting anymore, where they actually kill something and experience the finality of it. In general maybe there's just a lack of outlets for aggressive tendencies in our current nanny-run society.

Joe in PNG
01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Read that a few days ago (actually I think I posted it here somewhere) and I agree. Sort of ties into something Kyle Defoor posted about kids not getting out and hunting anymore, where they actually kill something and experience the finality of it. In general maybe there's just a lack of outlets for aggressive tendencies in our current nanny-run society.

Which, funny enough, could explain the popularity of the violent video games.

NickA
01-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Which, funny enough, could explain the popularity of the violent video games.

Hah, you're probably right. Violence without consequences, or something like that.

will_1400
01-22-2013, 10:13 AM
It also explains how sports like UFC, Strikeforce, et al, are popular.

JHC
01-22-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm sorry to have missed that. I generally would disagree with an assessment that kids hunting (which I endorse 100%) would decrease the popularity of video gaming. Soldiers seem to enjoy the gaming as much as any demographic and we've seen multiple examples of Tier 1 special operators being big time into the gaming industry on the consulting side.

I think the observations about the culture and it's characteristics are more interesting and transcend todays version of a media to express it. It's like a post modern version of Jeff Cooper's essay "The Deadly American".

NickA
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
I'm sorry to have missed that. I generally would disagree with an assessment that kids hunting (which I endorse 100%) would decrease the popularity of video gaming. Soldiers seem to enjoy the gaming as much as any demographic and we've seen multiple examples of Tier 1 special operators being big time into the gaming industry on the consulting side.

I think the observations about the culture and it's characteristics are more interesting and transcend todays version of a media to express it. It's like a post modern version of Jeff Cooper's essay "The Deadly American".

I'm probably not making my point very well (since I'm not sure exactly what it is ;)) but I'm not really thinking that hunting would decrease interest in video games, more that it illustrates the reality of life and death. Same with fighting, contact sports, etc. Like that article touches on, we grow up idolizing soldiers, cops, etc thinking it's all action and" fun and games" without knowing the reality that it's often dirty, dangerous, and heartbreaking. Not that hunting, fighting or playing football is nearly the same, but even if you've done those things a few times you probably learn that there are real, permanent consequences to violence. When all your experience with it is in a virtual world, not so much.

TommyG
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Agreed, he hits some bedrock in his observations.

I also agree that taking the youngsters hunting is important to demonstrate the power of firearms and the reality and finality of using one. Tracking and finishing off a wounded animal is unique educational experience. So is field dressing and butchering the animal and seeing first hand the effects of the shot you took. Not the answer to all ills but an important experience for a young shooter to have I think, even if they will be a shooter and not a hunter as they grow up.

peterb
01-22-2013, 03:26 PM
Heck, everybody should have hands-on experience of where meat comes from at least once, even if they'll never hunt. It's too easy to take for granted when you only ever see it neatly shrink-wrapped.

Most US residents now grow up seeing thousands of fictional deaths and almost never seeing a real one. I'm not sure that's good for us.