PDA

View Full Version : Week 61 - "MISS NOW" (Mod1)

Odin Bravo One
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Week 61 - "MISS NOW" (Mod1)

On demand sustained fire marksmanship, sight tracking, recoil management, weapon/holster manipulation, reloads.

Range: 7, 10, and 15 yards
Target: 8" Circle (FAST, 10-8/EAG, TRICON, Paper Plate)
Start postion: Holstered, IAW your personal SOP
Rounds fired: 48
Par Time: 10.00, 11.00, and 12.00 seconds

Drill is shot cold, no warm up or "practice" runs. Only drills shot cold (first string of fire of the day) count for scoring purposes. Start with 2 magazines of 8 rounds each, facing the 8" circle target, 7 yards away. Place the second magazine in mag pouch per your personal SOP. Load and make ready your pistol, and place it in the holster in accordance with your personal SOP/carry method. On the start signal, draw and fire eight rounds into the target. At slide lock (or other indication you are empty), reload with the second magazine of eight, and engage target with all remaining rounds.

ALL 16 rounds must be COMPLETELY INSIDE the target area. "On the line" does not count. All rounds are either "All In", or it is a miss. Par time is 10.00 seconds, par score is zero misses.

Replace/Repair target and repeat at 10 yards. Par time is 11.00 seconds.

Replace/Repair target and repeat at 15 yards. Par time is 12.00 seconds.

Each yard line is it's own, stand alone drill. There is no aggregate/total score.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:
Time for each string of fire
# of misses (if any)
Handgun type/caliber

Mr_White
01-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Gen3 G34, Ameriglo Defoor sights, Blazer 124gr Cleanfire, concealed in a Keeper under a t-shirt.

7yds: 8.31, clean.
10 yds: 10.67, clean.
15 yds: 12.55, 2 misses.

GJM
01-22-2013, 06:56 PM
I was just wondering when we would be starting the DOW again, when this one came out. My initial reaction was "oh neat, Sean is helping with the drills, but this sure looks challenging." After seeing O'AK's excellent scores, I am certain it is very challenging!

Any chance we can get DOCGKR back again? :)

MDS
01-23-2013, 02:22 PM
G19 aiwb under t shirt, g17 mags, don hume mag pouch

7yd: 11.09 -1
10yd: 9.34 -2
15yd: 12.63 -3 (1 GIANT snatch...)

Did the 7yd again for fun, with the g17gen4: 8.73-2 (first 2 shots called misses)

Fun drill!

ST911
01-25-2013, 12:40 AM
Glock 19 gen4, Trijicon HD sights, Federal 147gr JHP (9MS)
Safariland ALS 6390 w/ ALS Guard, Safariland slimline #79 mag pouch

7yds: 9.77, -1
10yds: 11.59, -1
15yds: 14.71, -1

This is a great drill.

Keydet08
01-26-2013, 06:52 PM
At VMIMO's Southern VA range day with Gen3 G17 with Dawson precision adjustable sights

somewhere around seven yards while wearing a plate carrier with a slung rifle and gloves

11.34 clean

9.71 clean

Odin Bravo One
01-27-2013, 12:43 PM
FWIW, the range at VMI MO's southern VA range day was exactly 7 yards.....

And the ambient air temp was 15 degrees............F.

GJM
01-27-2013, 12:49 PM
It is O F here this morning in AK, and -24 F just up the road a few miles. Everyone has been complaining about how warm it has been. :)

Odin Bravo One
01-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Post up the scores.............. I'm interested in seeing how the warm weather up there turns in some sub-10.0 runs.........

GJM
01-27-2013, 03:23 PM
It takes nearly 10 seconds to just get your mittens off and get your pistol in your hands -- and that is if you are open carrying it. The only advantage of concealed carry in these temps is your pistol stays warmer next to your body.

joshs
01-27-2013, 03:46 PM
GJM,

Do you use the hockey method for getting your mittens off? Sean and I were discussing if that's the best method when wearing big gloves.

HK P30/Safariland 6377 with plate carrier and slung rifle at VMI MO's SoVa range day.

7 yards
9.7 -3
9.39 clean

GJM
01-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Josh, that is good shooting, especially considering the conditions and your gear!

I guess I am not sure what the hockey method is, although I am picturing two guys throwing their gloves off to fight?

Here are some thoughts. When wearing heavy mittens, we try to have a liner glove (nomex flight or thin synthetic with advantages for either depending upon conditions), so if we sense a threat like a moose nearby, we can shed the outer gloves and still not freeze for a few minutes. My wife has some OR mittens, the "Swoop" model that give you the ability to shoot a rifle, but not a handgun. Even if we aren't layering gloves, we often bring two different weight gloves along, wear the lighter pair that we can shoot a handgun with, and change to the heavier ones only if our hands start getting cold. As our lighter glove, we often use Mountain Hardware "Torsion" gloves as they are reasonably warm and work acceptably for shooting a handgun.

We try to open carry our handgun in either a chest rig or drop holster, as that helps a lot with speed. Around here in Alaska, nobody would give you a second look with an open handgun. Most of the winter, I appendix carry a P30 LEM .40, and then throw on as a second pistol, a Glock 22 or 20 in a Safariland drop rig (the one the Rogers School uses with a paddle because it is so easy to put on). That gives me one cold, accessible pistol, and another warm one that I have on all the time.

By the time we went out for our morning snowshoe today, it was below 0F and windy. This is my wife this morning, giving you an idea of how we are dressed to stay warm. For some reason, -5F in Alaska feels colder than in the lower 48. She is using a custom Fricke Gideon, that is dropped and offset, for her Glock 22.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/cold1.jpg

Odin Bravo One
01-27-2013, 04:32 PM
I'll stay in the lower 48, where 15F is the rare occurance..............and 65+ is the norm.

GJM
01-27-2013, 04:42 PM
I'll stay in the lower 48, where 15F is the rare occurance..............and 65+ is the norm.

We get scared when it gets ABOVE 65, and the only time we get in the water is in the shower.

ST911
01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
We try to open carry our handgun in either a chest rig or drop holster, as that helps a lot with speed. Around here in Alaska, nobody would give you a second look with an open handgun. Most of the winter, I appendix carry a P30 LEM .40, and then throw on as a second pistol, a Glock 22 or 20 in a Safariland drop rig (the one the Rogers School uses with a paddle because it is so easy to put on). That gives me one cold, accessible pistol, and another warm one that I have on all the time.

As the kids say, "respect."

I'll quit complaining about our air handling system cooling the indoor range. :cool:

GJM
01-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Where we live is considered the banana belt of Alaska. It made it up to +1 F at 4pm when we headed out for the evening snowshoe, although with 20 knot winds we were bundled up.

In Fort Yukon, Alaska, where we pass thru in August on the way north sheep hunting, the high today was -46F, and that is just air temp not wind chill. Tonight it is supposed to be -53F for a low in that area.

JV_
01-28-2013, 05:23 PM
7Y - 9.93 Clean
10Y - 11.52 -2

I had a horrendous trigger snatch that took me most of my range session to get under control

MDS
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
I had a horrendous trigger snatch that took me most of my range session to get under control

Welcome to my life! :p

I ran this again today, twice. The second wasn't cold, obviously, but I ran them back to back:

Distance
Draw
Reload
Total
Misses

7yd

10yd

15yd

Distance
Draw
Reload
Total
Misses

7yd

10yd

15yd

This drill is aptly named. My snatch totally takes over during long strings of fire. This drill really forces me to try to stay focused on the trigger for every shot. I think I'll run it every so often, see if I can get to where I'm consistently clean and under par.

Odin Bravo One
01-28-2013, 10:27 PM
Having shot this drill on numerous occasions, I tend to have acceptable runs more often than not, and as long as I don't totally hose my draw or re-load, I can clean it under time most of the time. As we discussed at the VMI MO SOVA Range Day (aka, it's not supposed to snow in SOVA!), getting the hits is what I consider to be the more important factor than the time. As I started through this drill many years ago, I kept my goal to shoot it clean. Once I could shoot it clean on demand, I pushed for the speed.

Even now, I can tell when I am pushing solely for speed...........I know because there are holes all around the outside of my circle. If I shoot solely to clean the target with all 16 rounds, I can consistently hit 9.50-9.99 seconds. It's not blazing fast, but it is consistently meeting the standard. Certainly I like to see improvement, but at the same time, with the drills I don't train on, but use as an "assessment", (such as El Pres, FAST, MISS NOW, etc), I tend to look at the end result in terms of pass/fail, and don't concern myself so much with the minutia of a few hundredths here or there. Hits are what matters to me, and while getting a blazing fast time is great for my ego.........it doesn't have much practical benefit for me.

Thanks for all those who participated in, and continue to participate in the DoW.

My challenge to myself this year is to complete at least 50% of the DoW's, and I am hoping my work schedule will accomodate me with thsi goal. I know for a fact that if I meet my goal, my yearly "self-assessment" drills will be much improved over last year.

Corey
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
Last time I went shooting was January 7th, and it showed.

Smith & Wesson M&P9 FS, Blade Tech holster, open front concealment.

I did not get all my shots off under par on any of the 3 runs.

7 yards: 11 hits
10 yards: 9 hits
15 yards: 9 hits

ST911
01-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Even now, I can tell when I am pushing solely for speed...........I know because there are holes all around the outside of my circle. If I shoot solely to clean the target with all 16 rounds, I can consistently hit 9.50-9.99 seconds. It's not blazing fast, but it is consistently meeting the standard. Certainly I like to see improvement, but at the same time, with the drills I don't train on, but use as an "assessment", (such as El Pres, FAST, MISS NOW, etc), I tend to look at the end result in terms of pass/fail, and don't concern myself so much with the minutia of a few hundredths here or there. Hits are what matters to me, and while getting a blazing fast time is great for my ego.........it doesn't have much practical benefit for me.

I shot this drill several times, even though only the cold score is counted. On some runs I shot it purely for hits, and others purely for speed. I always contemplate and translate the performance on these drills/tests to performance on the street. Hits, misses, and time then become relative, and the quest is the search for the speed/accuracy sweet spot, and the drill a tool to get there.

The beauty of it is that whatever you're shooting for, hits, splits, time, or fun, you're learning and expanding your limits.

DocGKR
01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
G17 w/grip cut for G19 mags mounting an RMR06 and carried AIWB in a Fricke Seraphim concealed under an un-tucked long sleeve shirt and TNF vest firing Fed AE9FP 147 gr FMJ.

Shot once cold:

7yd: 8.78s (-1) got back on the trigger too early on one shot, leaving it about an inch high
10 yd: 9.25s (-1) jerked one to the left, about 1/4" outside the circle
15 yd: 10.94s (-1) put one low touching the line

Thanks--good drill and one I had never shot before. Definitely felt like I had more time than was expecting and should have slowed down a bit for better accuracy, instead of rushing my shots....something to work on in the future next time I try this.