PDA

View Full Version : Groupon Cancels All Firearm Related Deals

RoyGBiv
01-20-2013, 09:39 AM
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/groupon-bans-all-firearms-related-activities/

“All scheduled and current gun-related deals featured on Groupon North America, including shooting ranges, conceal-and-carry and clay shooting, have been placed on hiatus while we review internal standards that shape the deal inventory we feature. The category is under review following recent consumer and merchant feedback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fmKJsghG8

FWIW, I wrote them this letter via their support link ( https://www.groupon.com/support )....
I'd urge any concerned 2A shooter with a Groupon account to do the same.

It has come to my attention that Groupon has chosen to stop doing business with firearms related companies.

I cannot condone this attack on legitimate, law-abiding businesses.

How can offering training to honest firearms owners be a bad thing? Why penalize law-abiding firearms owners and firearms-related businesses for the actions of evil, mentally ill psychopaths? What point are you trying to make?

I will cease doing business with Groupon until you change this policy. I urge you to reconsider this misguided decision.

And received this reply the next day...

Hi RGB,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We appreciate your feedback and take these inquiries seriously.

Gun-related deals, including shooting ranges, conceal-and-carry, and clay shooting, are on hiatus as we review our internal policies for the types of deals that we feature. Groupon has always aimed to offer deals driven by local consumer preference and request; at this time, enough consumers have asked us to eliminate the category that we believe a review is warranted. A decision has not yet been made.

If you'd still like to unsubscribe, you can do so by clicking "Unsubscribe from all Groupon emails" in your account at http://www.groupon.com/subscription_center, or the "unsubscribe with one click" link at the bottom of our daily emails.

Thank you again for contacting us and please let me know if I there's anything I can do.

Regards,

Brittany H
Groupon Customer Support

VolGrad
01-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I've used a few Groupons and every single one turned into a giant CF. I decided a while back they weren't worth the hassle. My experiences were probably a purely coincidental string of bad luck but I won't be using them in the future, especially now.

RoyGBiv
01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
I've used a few Groupons and every single one turned into a giant CF. I decided a while back they weren't worth the hassle. My experiences were probably a purely coincidental string of bad luck but I won't be using them in the future, especially now.

We've had some great local deals here for restaurants ($10 for $20 credit at places we already like to eat) and sporting events (2-for-1 hockey tickets, most recently). I'll miss Groupon, but, I've unsubscribed until they decide, like Starbucks (http://www.nationalreview.com/the-feed/270/starbucks-we-comply-local-open-carry-gun-laws), to serve all customers & all businesses that obey local laws.

JodyH
01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Groupon is a huge scam just waiting to collapse and take a lot of small business's down with it.

Slavex
01-20-2013, 12:17 PM
As Jody says, they are a scam, and will collapse, taking a lot of small companies with them and leaving consumers with nothing for money spent.

gtmtnbiker98
01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
Despite the underlying reason, we cannot begrudge Groupon for exercising their right to conduct business however they see fit in a Capitalistic market. To do so would be hypocritical. We can't expect them to respect our rights when we don't respect theirs. Just a thought.

PPGMD
01-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Despite the underlying reason, we cannot begrudge Groupon for exercising their right to conduct business however they see fit in a Capitalistic market. To do so would be hypocritical. We can't expect them to respect our rights when we don't respect theirs. Just a thought.

What?

No one is saying that anything they are doing is illegal, simply stupid. And we are perfectly within our rights to not do business with any company does does stupid stuff. Or has expressing our opinion of a company's decision or saying that we choose to not do business with a company become a violation of their rights?

VolGrad
01-20-2013, 02:25 PM

I agree with you completely. I actually had another part on my OP about how I actually like the fact the responding rep gave Roy a quick link to unsubscribe and didn't feed him any BS. She just said some folks requested they cease doing firearms related Groupons and they are looking into it. That's their prerogative.

My particular issues were mostly on the part of the companies offering the deals through Groupon. They all sucked.

JAD
01-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I'm a huge capitalist, but they made a decision based on the loudest complaint they heard; it's my job to make sure they know they made the wrong decision. I cancelled my account and suggest that all others do the same.

abu fitna
01-20-2013, 06:23 PM
One of the ranges I frequent had a recurring Living Social buy. Brought a lot of first shooters to the range. And while that could be painful in its own way, first hand experience helps dispel much of the anti gun FUD. Long term this is not good. For many urban cohorts, there are few other ways to be introduced to the gun culture in a positive manner. And around here, hipster first dates weren't bad inroads into the bastion of ignorance.

Definitely will ensure Groupon an LS know that they are making a big mistake. Their right to do so, but my right to ensure they get no further business from me or mine. I may think their companies will ultimately fail in another dot com bust, but this is clearly an accelerant in the fall.

WDW
01-21-2013, 10:01 AM
My LGS/range did the opposite & cancelled groupon a while back because it was just a giant headache for them.

orionz06
01-21-2013, 10:44 AM
I'm emailing all companies who are providing Groupon deals I am interested in and letting them know that I would like to purchase their deal but the politics of the situation prevent me from doing so.