PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's and their support for "tactical rifles"

JV_
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/01/robert-farago/breaking-cabelas-pulls-out-of-reed-exhibitions-eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show/

following Reed Exhibitions decisiojn to ban “tactical rifles” from the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show in Harris, PA, Cabela’s has withdrawn from the event. “After careful consideration regarding Cabela’s business practices, and the feelings of our customers,” the company’s Facebook page states, “Cabela’s will, unfortunately, not have a presence at the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show.”

GJM
01-19-2013, 09:34 PM
where is the "like" button on PF?

Prdator
01-19-2013, 09:35 PM
Boom!!! Good on you Cabelas!!!!!!!!

Spr1
01-20-2013, 07:41 AM
There are some really good companies out there.

RoyGBiv
01-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm going to Cabela's today (even though the ammo shelves were pretty bare when I was there last week).

MDS
01-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Now I'm even more glad I spent money at Cabela's last week. I may now order something online from them again this week.

JV_
01-22-2013, 08:26 AM
57 have backed out of this event. Another big name in that list - Trijicon.

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/805854_List-of-exhibitors-boycotting-the-Eastern-Sports-and-Outdoor-Show.html

orionz06
01-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Damn, I am already having a hard time trying to find something to buy at Cabela's.

I'll at least be busy thanking them via email today.

SteveK
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Outstanding.

LOKNLOD
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Damn, I am already having a hard time trying to find something to buy at Cabela's.

I'll at least be busy thanking them via email today.

Going and liking their facebook page and commenting is another way to show some support. I'm sure some FB lackey gets to report "wow boss a lot of people are talking about our pulling out of that show!"

John Ralston
01-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Looked at the list - if you aren't into hunting, they might not mean anything, but there are A LOT of big names on there. I hope they get the message loud and clear. Not all gun people either - many on there are almost exclusively archery or muzzle loader hunters.

orionz06
01-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Looked at the list - if you aren't into hunting, they might not mean anything, but there are A LOT of big names on there. I hope they get the message loud and clear. Not all gun people either - many on there are almost exclusively archery or muzzle loader hunters.

I wasn't around in 1994 but my guess is back then all of those companies would not have made a move like this.

John Ralston
01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
I wasn't around in 1994 but my guess is back then all of those companies would not have made a move like this.

Agreed. One that popped out at me is Larry Weishuhn - he hunts with a TC Encore, Single Shot (exclusively) and the fact that he is a bit old school, I thought he would be more inclined to pull a Zumbo, but he didn't.

MDS
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
When Slick Willy himself cautions his party not to thumb their noses at the gun culture, you know the nose-thumbing is on full-throttle peacock-style display. That display is distasteful, but it's also telling. It's a lot clearer now, compared to 1994, that the anti's agenda is a purely ideological pursuit with no basis in logic or a larger goal to achieve public safety. It seems to me that folks who couldn't care less about the legality of AR's in particular, are seeing that it's gun culture in general that's under attack.

John Ralston
01-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Julie G. just reported that S&W pulled out too!

Drang
01-22-2013, 09:12 PM
I understand Ruger's out.

I guess they decided to completely ditch Bill's (political) legacy...

helothar
01-22-2013, 11:15 PM
I understand Ruger's out.

I guess they decided to completely ditch Bill's (political) legacy...

This doesn't surprise me too much. They know who feeds them. They were one of the first websites (that I saw any way) who had a tool to contact all of your specific reps/senators/president etc when the politicians started talking of a new AWB.

Aray
01-23-2013, 09:23 AM
My friends at Talkin Stick Game Calls pulled out last night, and an hour later so did the National Wild Turkey Federation who cancelled their turkey calling competition there. That may not sound like a big deal, but in those circles, it is definitely a big deal to can that competition.

I'm personally thrilled at the cohesive response.

Aray
01-23-2013, 09:25 AM
http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/805854_List-of-exhibitors-boycotting-the-Eastern-Sports-and-Outdoor-Show.html

A list of boycotting exhibitors.

TommyG
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Pay close attention to this one. The promoter is Reed Exhibitions who also puts on the SHOT show. NRA and NSSF put out some pretty vanilla statements earlier in the week. The NRA finally announced that they are pulling out. I was seeing red when they announced that they would chide Reed but go anyway. Glad to see they finally did the right thing. Reed has the contract to put on the 2014 SHOT Show. It will be interesting to see if they remain the promoter. I would assume they have pretty strong contract language so I don't know what recourse the NSSF might have to pull out for 2014.

NSSF Statement (pure vanilla): http://www.nssfblog.com/statement-on-reed-exhibitions-eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show/

NRA Pulls Out: http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news-from-nra-ila/2013/nra-withdraws-from-eastern-sports-outdoor-show-due-to-reed-exhibitions-decision-to-ban-modersn-sporting-rifles.aspx

Contact Info for Reed Exhibitions if you would like to comment on the issue:

Eastern Sports & Outdoors Show Management

Group Vice President

Ed Several

p 203-840-5932

fax 203-840-9932

eseveral@reedexpo.com

Event Director

Chris O'Hara

P 717-368-7487

Fax 203-840-9868

cohara@reedexpo.com

pr1042
01-23-2013, 09:02 PM
I went to Cabela's in Fort Worth to find a way to show my gratitude....while they had 9mm in stock, I refuse to pay $21 for 50 round box of Blazer

They will have to settle for a like on Facebook.

John Ralston
01-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Julie G. just posted up a link...the show is "Postponed"

http://www.easternsportshow.com/

RoyGBiv
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM

In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.
Not. Buying.It.

John Ralston
01-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Not. Buying.It.

They have taken the PR Model from RECOIL...

MEH
01-24-2013, 12:14 PM

"Because of Reed’s recent actions, NSSF is considering all options regarding the management of future SHOT Shows (http://www.nssfblog.com/nssf-statement-on-the-eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show/)." -NSSF

Actions have consequences!

LOKNLOD
01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Not. Buying.It.

Translation: "We were afraid some antis might notice we had scary assault guns and draw negative attention in a way that hurt business, but were too stupid to realize that stepping on our crank with the firearms community would do much much more to hurt business than we ever thought"

TGS
01-24-2013, 12:40 PM
They have taken the PR Model from RECOIL...

They really did, especially with that backhanded apology in the 2nd-to-last paragraph blaming the evil black rifle companies for ruining the fun.

ETA: How unbelievably funny would it be if Jerry Tsai found employment with them after the RECOIL meltdown?

tmoore912
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
"Because of Reed’s recent actions, NSSF is considering all options regarding the management of future SHOT Shows (http://www.nssfblog.com/nssf-statement-on-the-eastern-sports-and-outdoor-show/)." -NSSF

Actions have consequences!

Kick them to the curb.

John Ralston
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Kick them to the curb.

+1000

SouthNarc
01-24-2013, 12:57 PM
From the link

Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

I've highlighted something that's REALLY important. One of the problems we have is letting the Left define our language. We need to use this term, MODERN SPORTING RIFLES (MSRs) when referring to semi-autos.

It's subtle...but it's a big part of perception.

John Ralston
01-24-2013, 12:58 PM
I've highlighted something that's REALLY important. One of the problems we have is letting the Left define our language. We need to use this term, MODERN SPORTING RIFLES (MSRs) when referring to semi-autos.

It's subtle...but it's a big part of perception.

Agreed

SecondsCount
01-24-2013, 10:51 PM
Agreed

+1.

I am not sure if it is an NRA thing or just the guys who taught the NRA Range Safety Officer class but they made sure we called a firearm, a firearm. A lot of the former military people in the class kept calling them weapons and were corrected.

Personally I think calling something a weapon has a negative implication, this includes the term Assault Weapon, and the more we can do to sound positive gives the anti-gun crowd less to use against us.

ST911
01-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Words matter. "Weapon" is a purpose for a device, not the identity of the device. It's a rifle, pistol, revolver, gun, firearm, etc, but not a "weapon" until wielded as such. We play into antis rhetoric with its continued use. I find it's most common with service members and vets, whose context of use was firearms as weapons almost exclusively.

Calling it by its proper name expands the descriptors to all possible uses, such as sport, recreation, investment, etc. Doing so includes the broadest possible number of owners/users of guns. Most importantly, it also broadens the audience that may be persuadable.

It's emphasized somewhat heavily in NRA curriculums, but the distinction is also made elsewhere. I require recruits and students to use "gun" or other above.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2013, 08:24 AM
Anyone else digging the new term "modern sporting rifle?"

jrm
01-25-2013, 08:41 AM
It's an Army thing at least. In Basic you were told to not call your rifle a gun instead it is a weapon. I'm not sure if calling it a rifle would have been ok but calling it a gun would bring at least mild ridicule. So weapon becomes the word you use for your rifle. That's the way it worked for me anyway.

Chris Rhines
01-25-2013, 09:05 AM
Anyone else digging the new term "modern sporting rifle?"

No. "Modern Sporting Rifle" is awkward and contrived. It smacks of playing word games.

I usually use the word 'carbine' to describe my ARs and such.

RoyGBiv
01-25-2013, 09:30 AM
"Modern Sporting Rifle" is awkward and contrived. It smacks of playing word games.
As much as many of us find it distasteful, manipulative and a little dishonest (not to mention childish, manipulative and shouldn't-be-necessary-in-an-adult-world) to play such word games, we need to fight this fight on the enemies terms for now. The enemies of the Second Amendment are using images, words, obfuscations and outright lies to win the hearts and minds of those in the middle. To ignore these available tactics is like lining up in rows in a clear field against a foe fighting from the trees.

To that end, MSR works well, IMO.

TommyG
01-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Reed Exhibitions has decided to postpone, for now, the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show given the controversy surrounding its decision to limit the sale or display of modern sporting rifles (also called ARs) at the event. The show was scheduled to take place February 2-10 in Harrisburg, PA.

“Our original decision not to include certain products in the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show this year was made in order to preserve the event’s historical focus on the hunting and fishing traditions enjoyed by American families,” said Chet Burchett, Reed Exhibitions President for the Americas. “In the current climate, we felt that the presence of MSRs would distract from the theme of hunting and fishing, disrupting the broader experience of our guests. This was intended simply as a product decision, of the type event organizers need to make every day.

Cheered when I heard this on the local news last night. I feel bad for the smaller vendors that count on the show for a big chunk of their revenue but you have to applaud those that pulled out for taking the long view and standing on principle.

I hope the NSSF can get extricate SHOT 2014 from Reed.

orionz06
01-25-2013, 09:38 AM
There is some push to have an event anyway, without Reed, that would have all of the good guys.

NickA
01-25-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm glad to see the reaction by the industry to this nonsense, but sad that they had to mobilize like this against someone who should be "one of ours." That unity of action needs to show up more against those we truly need to fight.

Byron
01-25-2013, 10:14 AM
Beyond the general awkwardness* of saying "Modern Sporting Rifle," I would feel like I was speaking out of both sides of my mouth if I started using that term regularly.

While the description is factually accurate (after all, ARs are indeed one of the top choices in shooting sports), I usually try to steer people away from "sporting purpose" discussions. I don't feel comfortable hammering on people that the 2A isn't about hunting/sports while simultaneously stressing that my carbines are Modern Sporting Rifles.

I understand the utility of the phrase, and I don't object to other people using it, but it's not a term that I'll use myself any time soon.

*I just don't like using longer terms where shorter ones will suffice.
Modern Sporting Rifle = 6 syllables
MSR = 3 (though most people will have to ask you what an MSR is, defeating the purpose of using an acronym)
Firearm = 3
Rifle = 2
Carbine = 2

TGS
01-25-2013, 01:43 PM
I agree with Byron. Using the label of MSR is placing a value on that category that I don't necessarily agree with.

If you want to try and steer people away from the assault weapon label, and try and keep an AR15 from being placed in "that" category of "other" firearms that are somehow different, then calling them what they are will work just fine; carbine, rifle, firearm all work and are also more neutral in value/perception/connotation than MSR to begin with.

I'm a vet, and I use the term "weapon" all the time. I don't like pussy-footing around what the purpose of a firearm is, and doing so isn't going to change any antis attitude anyway. If some NRA piss-ant bubba tried getting in my shit for it, I'd laugh incessantly. FWIW, on changing attitudes and how bad the term "weapon" is, I usually find that being direct and to the point gains more. When someone questions me about why I need a weapon to kill people, I tell them the truth......not some NRA fantasy-land version of bunny wabbits. Since I'm being honest and upfront, they tend to reciprocate and the whole conversation is much more sensible in the end.

ST911
01-25-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm a vet, and I use the term "weapon" all the time. I don't like pussy-footing around what the purpose of a firearm is,"

It is not the sole purpose of the firearm, however. If we label them thusly we limit discussion and debate to a context.

and doing so isn't going to change any antis attitude anyway. If some NRA piss-ant bubba tried getting in my shit for it, I'd laugh incessantly. FWIW, on changing attitudes and how bad the term "weapon" is, I usually find that being direct and to the point gains more. When someone questions me about why I need a weapon to kill people, I tell them the truth......not some NRA fantasy-land version of bunny wabbits. Since I'm being honest and upfront, they tend to reciprocate and the whole conversation is much more sensible in the end.

It has far more effect than you would think. Words matter. Context is critical.

I have the good fortune to address government, organizational, and community groups of all types, and various political persuasions, on a variety of topics. In discussion of firearms issues, portions of my audience(s) will demonstrate a less negative response in discussing a 10 year boy shooting his rifle, than a 10 year old boy shooting his weapon. Words evoke imagery. Read it again...

A ten year old boy with a rifle.
A ten year old boy with a weapon.

Use what you wish, but why limit yourself so?

TGS
01-25-2013, 03:35 PM
It is not the sole purpose of the firearm, however. If we label them thusly we limit discussion and debate to a context.

Ah, but MSR is okay, cause that's not biasing our 2A rights being in the camp of sporting purposes, instead of what the 2A is actually about.

It has far more effect than you would think. Words matter. Context is critical.

Oh, really? Context is critical, and words matter. Hmm. Interesting concept. I totally forgot that I addressed that in my post, speaking to values, perceptions and connotations.

LittleLebowski
01-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Let us stay civil.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

TommyG
01-25-2013, 04:03 PM
There is some push to have an event anyway, without Reed, that would have all of the good guys.

I will be there with $$$ to spend to show some support if it goes. It would be nice to see some of the vendors that stood up get a chance for some extra traffic and revenue.

SecondsCount
01-25-2013, 05:34 PM
-snip-

I'm a vet, and I use the term "weapon" all the time. I don't like pussy-footing around what the purpose of a firearm is, and doing so isn't going to change any antis attitude anyway. If some NRA piss-ant bubba tried getting in my shit for it, I'd laugh incessantly. FWIW, on changing attitudes and how bad the term "weapon" is, I usually find that being direct and to the point gains more. When someone questions me about why I need a weapon to kill people, I tell them the truth......not some NRA fantasy-land version of bunny wabbits. Since I'm being honest and upfront, they tend to reciprocate and the whole conversation is much more sensible in the end.

I get that, and won't rail against your first amendment right to call it what you want. :cool:

Argus
01-25-2013, 08:17 PM
I usually just call them rifles, and sometimes even "guns". But, call them whatever you want; it's a free(ish) country.

Anyway, good on Cabelas and the other vendors that pulled out of the Reed Exhibitions show. My son needs some camping gear for scouts, so Cabelas will be high on my list of places to look.

Drang
01-25-2013, 08:23 PM
+1.

I am not sure if it is an NRA thing or just the guys who taught the NRA Range Safety Officer class but they made sure we called a firearm, a firearm. A lot of the former military people in the class kept calling them weapons and were corrected.

Personally I think calling something a weapon has a negative implication, this includes the term Assault Weapon, and the more we can do to sound positive gives the anti-gun crowd less to use against us.

For the first use of the word "weapon" while in NRA Basic Instructor Development Workshop we bought the Training Counselor a six pack,our choice. For the second, and subsequent, violations it was Guinness. I only slipped once, out of his hearing, which is kind of remarkable, considering that my retirement from the Army was effective the first day of the workshop.

Edited to add: This is, more or less, a PR thing. NRA Instructors are also expected to maintain a well-groomed appearance; long hair, beards, etc., are OK, but keep them neat. Dress to local standards; around here, a polo shirt and unfaded jeans is practically wedding clothes; elsewhere, we were told, we should wear a blazer, necktie optional... :confused:

John Ralston
01-26-2013, 11:25 AM
What I don't get is why anyone would call the AR15 "Modern". You don't look at a 63 Corvette and call it modern, you call it a classic. We need to point out to EVERYONE on the other side that this thing is 50 years old.

JM Campbell
01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
What I don't get is why anyone would call the AR15 "Modern". You don't look at a 63 Corvette and call it modern, you call it a classic. We need to point out to EVERYONE on the other side that this thing is 50 years old.

This has been the basis of my rebuttals since this shenanigans began....

Drang
01-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Not sayin' you're wrong, but...
...More modern than Biden's side-by-side.
...More modern than an '03-A3.
...More modern than a Winchester '94.
Modern in the sense that it is in current use worldwide.
In terms of firearms design, an AR15 is modern--there have been few, if nay, breakthroughs in firearms design or technology in the last 50 years.
Which is a little depressing; if you had asked me 40 years ago, I would have suggested that at this point the debate would be over whether or not "civilians" would be allowed plasma rifles in the 40 megawatt range.
As Tamara has pointed out elsewhere, though, fifteen years ago we thought that in 2013 we'd be fighting for the right to have a pump actin shotgun with a 20 inch barrel and no mag block...