PDA

View Full Version : TV crew interview Taser ruse

secondstoryguy
01-19-2013, 02:04 PM
First time I've seen this ruse though I'm sure it's not the first time it's been employed. It also brings up the subject of Tasers and deadly force. Althouth the article didn't specify what type of Taser was used, I Just wanted to remind folks, especially those that have never been Taser trained, that you should generally treat a BG wielding a Taser with the same reguard as you would a BG holding any other deadly weapon. Taser brand devices are not toys-if you get hit well with the probes, your ability to resist is likely to be reduced to zero.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/two-men-juvenile-pose-news-crew-stun-gun-191738693.html

wilco423
01-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Sounds like it was not an actual Taser used in these attacks, but rather a "stun gun." While I certainly don't want to get stung by either one again, a stun gun is generally a contact weapon, most of which deliver a strong, but localized, shock, similar to a Taser in drive stun use (or a dog training collar). A Taser, on the other hand, has up to a 25' stand off (most civ ones are 12-15', and 25' with LE ones is a long shot).

All that said, a Taser or a stun gun in the hand of a BG is bad, of course. Certainly could be a deadly force situation, but not necessarily.

Le Français
01-19-2013, 05:27 PM
...if you get hit well with the probes, your ability to resist is likely to be reduced to zero.

This is a factual statement.

Coyotesfan97
01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Here's the way I look at it. A bad guy trying to use a Taser, stun gun, or pepper spray is trying to incapacitate me to take my gun and use it against me. I've been pepper sprayed and Tased. I know what it does to me. Deadly force is more than likely going to be used to stop that threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S Jenks
01-20-2013, 12:29 AM
Here's the way I look at it. A bad guy trying to use a Taser, stun gun, or pepper spray is trying to incapacitate me to take my gun and use it against me. I've been pepper sprayed and Tased. I know what it does to me. Deadly force is more than likely going to be used to stop that threat.

Building on that, police officers use Tasers under very specific circumstances and are trained to use them in a reasonable manner so as to avoid unnecessary injury to the suspect: Avoiding frontal chest shots and sensitive areas, handcuffing upon NMI so as to limit the number of cycles, etc. Some dude takes your Taser and they're aiming for your face and stopping only when the batteries (or you) are dead.

wilco423
01-20-2013, 12:51 AM
A Taser or stun gun being used in an assault against you would almost certainly justify deadly force. Pepper spray may fall in there too, especially if you know it effects you strongly. There are other situations I can imagine which would not, although they would probably only, if ever, occur in an LE setting.

Meant to say in my earlier post that Tasers and stun guns are not necessarily the same, although they are frequently treated that way in the media. Since we (2A'ers) are right now in the middle of a fight about misleading info, it seemed a good idea to mention the differences. Sorry to muddy the waters, since the OP was most directly talking about assaults.