PDA

View Full Version : Question about dry firing.

Gorris
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
I was wondering how fast you are suppose to pull the trigger when dry firing? I noticed that when I pull it really slow on my Glock 17 that the sights move but if I pull it faster they don't. Any help would be appreciated.

Up1911Fan
01-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Same as live fire.

taadski
01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
I dry practiced in a slow and deliberate manner with a focus on absolute precision for years and had a lot of success from a pure accuracy standpoint. But, as you'd expect, I saw issues when I picked up the pace live-fire. I had a huge breakthrough in my practical shooting ability when I started training dry at the pace/cadence I expected to perform live.

jon volk
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
SIRT pistol. Two thumbs up.

Cheap Shot
01-19-2013, 10:23 PM
SIRT pistol. Two thumbs up.

Could you elaborate?

Benefits beyond using real handgun?

Transferable benefits to live fire?

Thanks!

Wendell
01-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Could you elaborate? Benefits beyond using real handgun? Transferable benefits to live fire? Thanks!

Sevigny Train up video for Nationals 2011! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdgMQ2_TSk)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdgMQ2_TSk

Jay Cunningham
01-19-2013, 11:00 PM
I was wondering how fast you are suppose to pull the trigger when dry firing? I noticed that when I pull it really slow on my Glock 17 that the sights move but if I pull it faster they don't. Any help would be appreciated.

I like where your head's at!

Don't agonize over the trigger press.

jon volk
01-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Could you elaborate?

Benefits beyond using real handgun?

Transferable benefits to live fire?

Thanks!

http://pistol-training.com/archives/6559

That's a pretty good summary.

If you shoot a glock 17, it's a must have in my opinion. I shoot a round of dot torture every day and work a few target transitions.

A set of your real sights are a worthwhile addition too. The sights that come on it suck worse than stock glock sights.

Cheap Shot
01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
http://pistol-training.com/archives/6559

That's a pretty good summary.

If you shoot a glock 17, it's a must have in my opinion. I shoot a round of dot torture every day and work a few target transitions.

A set of your real sights are a worthwhile addition too. The sights that come on it suck worse than stock glock sights.

Thank you!

Gorris
01-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Man at those price I would rather buy another Glock! Its nice with the lasers but you could buy a laser bore sight like I already use and dry fire with that. That really helps because the slightest movement makes the laser move.

Thanks everyone for your help. The main reason I was asking about this dry firing was because I have been shooting left with my Glock 17. I don't know if its because I'm not use to it yet or if its something else. I owned an XD previously and never had a problem shooting left. The reason I sold that was so I could purchase this Glock since parts are so much cheaper and easier to come by. I don't want to have to send my gun in to get fixed if something breaks on it because then I will have to miss a match.

cclaxton
01-21-2013, 09:45 AM

While it's true that live fire is quite different, it's also true that doing any action "really slow" allows your body to retain muscle memory. There is an advantage to perfecting your slow dry fire practice. I don't shoot a Glock so I use a Laserlyte Laser Pulser (http://www.buy.com/prod/laserlyte-9mm-laser-trainer-cartridge/220187459.html?listingId=207245993). They have them in most calibers, but 9mm linked here. The advantage of the laser dry fire training is not only can you see where your shot would land, but whether you were moving the gun during the shot (You will see a trail or line instead of a dot.).

The King of Dry Fire is Steve Anderson, and he has some dry-fire training manuals you can purchase for reasonable price and he conducts competition training classes. http://www.andersonshooting.com/. His dry-fire drills actually start out with indexing the sight without pulling the trigger. He does have you do other drills pulling the trigger, but his emphasis is on quick draw and index, or target transition and index the sight. Getting sights on target quickly is treated as a separate component.
I own both of Steve's books and I highly recommend them.

CC

orionz06
01-21-2013, 09:57 AM
I do both slow and deliberate trigger presses along with fast dry draws on a timer. For both the SIRT is used along with one of my back up carry guns.

I cannot emphasize enough how valuable the SIRT is and at their price now compared to ammo prices from this past summer they're still worth it. Now with availability and prices what they are I think it's a no brained, especially with the lower priced plastic slide models. I lean heavily towards the green laser but both work.

pr1042
01-21-2013, 01:18 PM
I just ordered another SIRT trainer and some Ameriglo Defoors to go on it. The grand total was 201.75 or what a case of Aguila 124g USED to cost me

Check out armsunlimited.com for the SIRT, mine has already shipped after placing the order yesterday.

JohnK
01-24-2013, 09:50 AM
While it's true that live fire is quite different, it's also true that doing any action "really slow" allows your body to retain muscle memory. There is an advantage to perfecting your slow dry fire practice. I don't shoot a Glock so I use a Laserlyte Laser Pulser (http://www.buy.com/prod/laserlyte-9mm-laser-trainer-cartridge/220187459.html?listingId=207245993). They have them in most calibers, but 9mm linked here. The advantage of the laser dry fire training is not only can you see where your shot would land, but whether you were moving the gun during the shot (You will see a trail or line instead of a dot.).

The King of Dry Fire is Steve Anderson, and he has some dry-fire training manuals you can purchase for reasonable price and he conducts competition training classes. http://www.andersonshooting.com/. His dry-fire drills actually start out with indexing the sight without pulling the trigger. He does have you do other drills pulling the trigger, but his emphasis is on quick draw and index, or target transition and index the sight. Getting sights on target quickly is treated as a separate component.
I own both of Steve's books and I highly recommend them.

CC

How does that laserlyte work? I was reading reviews and people were saying that it sticks on after a short time. I would like to get it for my p30 if it will pay for itself in some usefulness. Look forward to your input.

jon volk
01-24-2013, 10:19 AM
Mine stuck on after less than 1,000 pulls.

Dave J
01-24-2013, 11:29 AM
My Laserlyte trainer recently went T-U as well. It died just sitting on the shelf with the batteries removed.

I may check to see if they'll warranty it, but I'm not wasting any more money with them. Instead, I'll be ordering a SIRT in the very near future.

cclaxton
01-24-2013, 03:58 PM
How does that laserlyte work? I was reading reviews and people were saying that it sticks on after a short time. I would like to get it for my p30 if it will pay for itself in some usefulness. Look forward to your input.

I go through a Laserlyte about every 30 days because I do thousands of pulls a month. BUT, good news is they replace them without any question other than to describe what the failure was. I have seen them stay on, not trigger, have diffused beam, and other intermittent stuff. I actually own two of them so I can have one in the mail and one I am using.

It is a fairly new product and I think they had some issues in Gen 1 of the device. However, the last ones I received have not gone bad at all. I keep wondering when this one is gonna fail, but been through thousands of pulls so far and two sets of batteries. Batteries can cause problems so do replace them when you start seeing problems, and see if that fixes it.

IF you shoot a GLOCK as your primary handgun, then the SIRT may be better. However, I shoot a Cz and like most other non-Glock guns, the grip angle is different and the trigger, etc. Also, the Laserlyte 9mm will fit ANY 9mm gun: Kahr, Beretta, Sig, Walther, etc., so it's more versatile.

The return shipping is cheap (USPS small envelope) and they always send me back a pack of 12 batteries with the refurbished Laserlyte, so I am happy.

If you are going to do a thousand trigger pulls a month, then consider getting two and return them when they fail. If you are a casual shooter, then just get one ask for warranty replacement when it fails.

I am very happy with them.

CC

Up1911Fan
01-25-2013, 12:30 AM
I just finally got around to ordering a SIRT. Been putting it off and buying ammo instead, no ammo to buy equals SIRT on the way to my place.