PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

KentF
04-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I shot the 3x5 card drill from 3 yards six times on Saturday. I didn't have a lot of time, so this was the only practice I was able to get in. I did shoot some video that I have posted to my YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/k5knt) I would appreciate any feed back. I did notice that I was forgetting to take my finger off the trigger when I was bringing the gun back to ready.

The target base is about three to four feet up from the bottom of the berm, which is why I appear to be shooting uphill.

Here is the card from the first string.

The second string, I lost count and fired 6:

The third string, 4 rounds:

ToddG
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
My critique: You can hit a 3x5 at 3yd. Now try it at 5yd.

KentF
04-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks Todd, but the drill says the goal at three yards is to have all the holes touching. Should I continue to work to that goal or move back to 5 yards?

MTechnik
04-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks Todd, but the drill says the goal at three yards is to have all the holes touching. Should I continue to work to that goal or move back to 5 yards?

Try it with a larger caliber, then the holes will touch.

JodyH
04-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Go to Staples and buy a package of 3/4" diameter price stickers (http://www.staples.com/Avery-Round-3-4-Diameter-Print-Write-Color-Coding-Labels/StaplesProductDisplay?partNumber=SS298182&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&ImgOnOffFlag=on&skusetImgOnOffFlag=on&reset=true&sortType=10005&sortOrder=ASC&sortAttributeName=Price).
Use those as a target until you can put 3 shots on the dot consistently from 3 yards.
Then back up and use 3x5's at 5 and 7 yards.
The 3x5 is too big of a target for 3 yards and shooters who are new to precision drills will start chasing bullet holes around the paper.
3/4" to 1" dots at 3 yards are just about perfect for learning trigger control, front sight focus, arc of movement and sight alignment.

jslaker
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Go to Staples and buy a package of 3/4" diameter price stickers (http://www.staples.com/Avery-Round-3-4-Diameter-Print-Write-Color-Coding-Labels/StaplesProductDisplay?partNumber=SS298182&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogIdentifier=2&ImgOnOffFlag=on&skusetImgOnOffFlag=on&reset=true&sortType=10005&sortOrder=ASC&sortAttributeName=Price).
Use those as a target until you can put 3 shots on the dot consistently from 3 yards.
The 3x5 is too big of a target for 3 yards and shooters who are new to precision drills will start chasing bullet holes around the paper.
3/4" to 1" dots at 3 yards are just about perfect for learning trigger control, front sight focus, arc of movement and sight alignment.

Ooooh, new cheap targets.

KentF
04-11-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks Jody, I'll get some tonight.

ToddG
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM

I've got an awful lot of students over the past 15 years or so who might disagree with that...

rsa-otc
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
I know allot of my students would look at me like I had 2 heads if I put a 1 inch dot on the target and tell them all rounds must hit it. I might even get shot.:rolleyes:

John Ralston
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM

We used targets with 1" Squares in the center of the 3x5 or 7" scoring circles, and it does give you a good reference.

JodyH
04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I've got an awful lot of students over the past 15 years or so who might disagree with that...
It's too big of an aiming point, not too big of a area to place all the rounds into.
I've found that with a blank sheet of paper, people who are new to precision drills tend to shoot their first round somewhere near the middle of the paper.
Their second round they try to shoot into the bullet hole left by the first.
Now they usually have two holes an inch or two apart.
Now they either try to split the difference or shoot for the first bullet hole again.
Now we have three holes in a 2" group.
Now frustration sets in.
I've seen faster improvement by having them shoot at a defined 1" diameter dot rather than a 3x5 area at 3 yards.