PDA

View Full Version : If it saves even one life...G-d how I hate that line.

Erik
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
‎"...if there’s even one life that can be saved, then we’ve got an obligation to try."

Barack Obama.

On that basis, and considering that drugs, alcohol and tobacco kill far more people than guns, I would like to know when we are going to revisit the 18th Amendment. I mean, honestly, nobody really needs drugs, alcohol or tobacco for anything. All drugs and alcohol do is get you intoxicated. They serve no valid societal purpose and further no greater good. And tobacco? I got nothing there. Just ban it. I would, of course, allow the authorities to continue to possess drugs and alcohol for valid medical purposes, as the authorities deem appropriate.

In addition to prohibiting the sale, possession and/or consumption of alcohol, I would also respectfully suggest that we consider laws that would:

- make it a felony to be intoxicated in any manner, including in your own home (I'm open as to what the mandatory minimum sentences should be here - let's look to existing drug laws for guidance);

- increase the above-referenced mandatory minimum sentences for being intoxicated in the presence of children;

- further increase mandatory minimum sentences for being intoxicated while responsible for caring for a child and, if the intoxicated person is the parent or guardian, immediately terminate parental rights and/or guardianship;

- require friends, family and neighbors to report alcohol and drug owners and users to the authorities; and

- institute drug, alcohol and tobacco buyback programs.

The above suggestions are just off the top of my head, so if you have any ideas for other ways to protect our safety, post up! Please, think of the children.

JeffJ
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Did you know that somewhere between 10 and 40 kids drown in plastic buckets each year?

We should immediately ban plastic buckets, at least those really dangerous "high capacity" buckets - Does anyone really NEED to carry 5 gallons at once, couldn't they just use a coffee cup over and over?

I mean, if it saves one life...

Tamara
01-17-2013, 01:36 PM
A backyard swimming pool is about the most dangerous thing you can have in your yard this side of a downed power line, and there's no constitutionally protected right to own one...

TCinVA
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
It's the calling card of scoundrels. A convenient means of someone identifying themselves as either completely irrational or irredeemably evil.

SeriousStudent
01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Cars.

Ladders.

Hospitals.

Damn dangerous things, they should all be banned. People drop like flies, whenever they are near them.

WDW
01-17-2013, 07:50 PM
If there's one thing I've learned over the last month it's that anti gun folks don't care about fact, logic, or even safety really. They just don't like guns & nothing short of The Almighty Himself is gonna change their minds. It's gonna be a loooong uphill battle for us. I mean, drunk drivers kill 1,000x the people that criminals with guns do, but there are zero preventative measures in place to keep someone from getting drunk & driving or doing anything else. There aren't event restrictions on alcohol. You could have 20 DUI's, walk right in & buy a Liter of Jack. I'm not advocating for alcohol laws, but if its "really about the child" why is this not an issue? This whole mess is just so frustrating. It's like arguing with a g** d*** brick wall. Even when you're right, you're wrong & even if you win, you lose.

JHC
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
If there's one thing I've learned over the last month it's that anti gun folks don't care about fact, logic, or even safety really. They just don't like guns & nothing short of The Almighty Himself is gonna change their minds.

Correct . . . but down deep is it the object they detest? Or those who wield them? I have long suspected these types resent those who will take these tools and stake out independence and self reliance vs settling for a dependent status in the herd.

WDW
01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Correct . . . but down deep is it the object they detest? Or those who wield them? I have long suspected these types resent those who will take these tools and stake out independence and self reliance vs settling for a dependent status in the herd.

For the politicians I think it's both. For their ignorant constituents, I think it's the guns themselves. That's what they've been spoon fed & they've swallowed every bite.

guymontag
01-17-2013, 08:42 PM
Please, think of the children.

Everyone, everyone, it's for the children. If only one life we could save...

How I loathe the sanctimony of it.

As of the present time, my firearms have taken less lives than internet bullying on social media, have taken less lives than texting while driving, and have taken less lives than illicit underage drug use.

NickA
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM

I really do think this is it, they just flat out don't like us. There's probably some people in the middle that can be swayed with actual knowledge about guns and gun laws, but the True Believers? We're the embodiment of their own lack of conviction and courage to be responsible for the safety of their loved ones and themselves, and they'd rather destroy us than have to be reminded of it.

On topic, Bloomberg spouting the "if it saves one life" nonsense and admitting that none of what he wants to do would have prevented Sandy Hook, but we HAVE TO DO SOMETHING. What a hypocritical, arrogant, ignorant POS.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/17/politics/bloomberg-interview/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

LittleLebowski
01-18-2013, 07:27 AM
We could just end the war on drugs and save a heck of a lot more than one life and a whole lot of money, too.

fixer
01-18-2013, 07:32 AM
"...if there’s even one life that can be saved, then we’ve got an obligation to try."

A slogan designed to hide the true meaning: The ends justify the means.

WDW
01-18-2013, 07:43 AM
You know, I ask a lot of my anti 2A friends (prob soon to be former friends) if they have ever even fired a firearm before. Most say no. So I then ask what the hell qualifies them to even be discussing the matter? It's like asking a mechanic what his opinion is on insulin administration in healthcare facilities... not even remotely qualified to even address the matter, for or against. I think guns are the only issue that people will listen to from someone who isn't even remotely qualified to discuss the matter.

JRas
01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Government needs to ban high capacity cups, Americans are drinking high quantities of sugary drinks. Please help us Government :o

Kyle Reese
01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Government needs to ban high capacity cups, Americans are drinking high quantities of sugary drinks. Please help us Government :o

NYC already does this...
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

EPF
01-19-2013, 12:00 PM
resent those who will take these tools and stake out independence and self reliance vs settling for a dependent status in the herd.

Excellent verbiage. Therein lies the root of the true conflict.

MDS
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
I think guns are the only issue that people will listen to from someone who isn't even remotely qualified to discuss the matter.

The only issue? You show a refreshing faith in humanity. ;)

WDW
01-19-2013, 03:00 PM
The only issue? You show a refreshing faith in humanity. ;)

Well not the only, but def. one of the biggest ones.

Drang
01-19-2013, 05:49 PM

NYC already does this...

Seen on the back of every Pepsi delivery truck in Noo Yawk:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/-HGXDxZAL_Ds/UKKFyOZBUzI/AAAAAAAADdI/7lEZOKK-80I/2012-11-13_09-17-58_202.png
In case that's not clear, it says "Don't let bureaucrats tell you what size to drink!"

hufnagel
01-20-2013, 08:43 AM
I think it actually says...

Don't let bureaucrats tell you what size beverage to buy

hufnagel
01-20-2013, 08:46 AM
You know, I ask a lot of my anti 2A friends (prob soon to be former friends) if they have ever even fired a firearm before. Most say no.

do you invite them to go?

David Armstrong
01-20-2013, 12:22 PM
You know, I ask a lot of my anti 2A friends (prob soon to be former friends) if they have ever even fired a firearm before. Most say no. So I then ask what the hell qualifies them to even be discussing the matter? It's like asking a mechanic what his opinion is on insulin administration in healthcare facilities... not even remotely qualified to even address the matter, for or against. I think guns are the only issue that people will listen to from someone who isn't even remotely qualified to discuss the matter.
It goes far beyond that one issue, and truth be told even on that one issue it goes both ways. I regularly get into discussions with folks who are discussing pro-2nd Amendment issues. When I ask them if they have ever read the Constitution or studied it most of them have to admit they haven't.

Drang
01-20-2013, 05:21 PM
I think it actually says...

Don't let bureaucrats tell you what size beverage to buy

Pick, pick, pick. :cool: