PDA

View Full Version : Viridian C5L

JodyH
04-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Anyone running the Veridian C5L green laser/tac light?
I'm picking one up as a T&E, should be interesting as my only previous experience with a laser is CT grips on my J-frame BUG.
I plan on mounting it to my P2000 night stand pistol and perhaps down the road getting a holster made for the combo.
:cool:

JodyH
04-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Received and installed the C5L this afternoon.
Very compact and feels well built.

Sighted it in at 10 yards.
Shot 150 rounds through it with no zero shift.
The green dot was visible at 15 yards in bright sunlight against a white and a brown target.
So far so good.
I'm going to do some low light drills tomorrow and see how it works.

The green laser combined with the 100 lumen LED white light strobe is pretty impressive in a dark room.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0002.jpg

JDM
04-15-2011, 09:42 PM
What about a holster? Any solutions?

JodyH
04-15-2011, 09:50 PM
I'm in contact with a member here to custom make a kydex OWB for it.
I want to run a few hundred rounds through the combo before I invest in a holster.

JDM
04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Neat.

I've wanted one of these for a while, but the holster thing kills it for me. I'm excited to see how yours turns out.

JodyH
04-16-2011, 09:34 PM
Amazing how well it works in low light shooting.
H&K P2000 LEM, C5L green laser with white light strobe, 13+1 RWS/Geco 124gr. FMJ
T1 - 5 out of 5 head shots at 20 yards with <1 sec. splits
T2 - 9 out of 9 head shots at 20 yards with <1 sec. splits
That's as good or better than I can shoot with sights on a sunny day.
It's far better than I can shoot with a hand held light and better than I can shoot with just a pistol mounted tac-light.
The laser also takes away the shooting disadvantage the strobing white light induces.
So you can have the strobe advantage with no loss in accuracy.
Sweet.

T1
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0007.jpg
T2
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0008.jpg

JodyH
04-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Here's a video I shot at 15 yards while waiting for it to get good and dark.
This shows the strobe effect and the dot size at 15 yards.

Yea... I know it's sideways.
My first video with the new phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMd9zoGjXc

orionz06
04-16-2011, 10:30 PM

[vide o=youtube;2pMd9zoGjXc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMd9zoGjXc[/video]

Interesting, I kind of like it.

LOKNLOD
04-17-2011, 01:18 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pMd9zoGjXc

Is that the actual strobe rate or are we being limited by the camera's frame rate?

JodyH
04-17-2011, 08:38 PM
Is that the actual strobe rate or are we being limited by the camera's frame rate?
The video is probably running at half speed.
The booklet says the default strobe rate is 20Hz, user programmable to up to 40Hz.

Pennzoil
04-17-2011, 08:46 PM
Looks nice any video of it during the day with bright sun? I have crimson trace grips on my J frame and 99% of the time I'm shooting I have to be practically humping the target to see a dot in AZ sun.

JodyH
04-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Looks nice any video of it during the day with bright sun? I have crimson trace grips on my J frame and 99% of the time I'm shooting I have to be practically humping the target to see a dot in AZ sun.

Dot is easy to see out to 15 yards in bright sunlight against multiple backgrounds.

double-Tapatalk

SCBradley
07-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Jody,

How is the c5l holding up? I'm considering one but haven't found a lot on long term durability.

JodyH
07-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Several hundred rounds later and it's still going fine.
My wife has used hers in two matches and it too is still working like new.
I installed a Viridian laser only on my boys Walther P22 and it would not hold zero at all, a quick call to Viridian and they took care of it with a two week turnaround. The new laser has worked perfectly for several range trips so far.

orionz06
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Jody,
How has the laser been holding up? Any zero drift at all? I am looking into this or the X5L and that is a definite concern of mine for lesser known companies.

JodyH
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Still working great on my wifes G19.
She used it just last weekend in the CCW match.
As usual there were many comments on how bright the green laser was.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

EricP
02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
I've been looking at the both the X5L and the C5L as well. What got me interested was that there seems to be a lot less offset between the laser and the muzzle than say a X400. For anyone who has tried both, do you notice less vertical offset at varying distances?

Nobody around here stocks Viridian so I haven't been able to handle one. How does the switching work, can you activate the light and laser independently? Is it a momentary or constant on/off?

Does the laser stay reasonably zeroed if the unit is removed from the gun and then reinstalled? I noted that it uses a screw to clamp on the rail, so I'd guess that you leave it on most of the time?

JodyH
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
The switch is a ambidextrous programmable rubber covered button on each side.
You can program it to various combinations of light/laser and on/strobe.
You cannot switch between light and laser "on the fly" though.
For momentary activation you press it more than 1/2 second, for on/off you press and release it quickly (<1/2 sec).
I use my trigger finger to activate it.

I've always had to make minor adjustments to zero when I take it on or off.
But since I just zero it to my iron sights at 10 yards it's no big deal.
The C5L isn't a quick attach design, I just leave mine on the host pistol the majority of the time.

I have a C5L on my house P2000 and my wife's house/purse Glock 19, neither have given us any trouble other than they eat batteries if you use the solid laser/solid light mode and play with it very much.
For the range I keep it on strobing laser only and that extends the battery life considerably.
Even so I put in fresh batteries every couple of range trips.

JeffJ
02-23-2012, 09:11 PM
is this something you can activate on the draw stroke? Or is that an ND waiting to happen?

JodyH
02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
is this something you can activate on the draw stroke? Or is that an ND waiting to happen?
It's not a problem activating on the draw imo.
The button only requires a light press and you're not having to curl your finger in any way.
I usually activate mine at the transition point between vertical to the horizontal press out.
Basically at the point where my finger is headed towards the trigger anyway.
Instead of going straight from the frame index to the trigger, my finger makes a quick stop at the button along the way.

JeffJ
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
It's not a problem activating on the draw imo.
The button only requires a light press and you're not having to curl your finger in any way.
I usually activate mine at the transition point between vertical to the horizontal press out.
Basically at the point where my finger is headed towards the trigger anyway.
Instead of going straight from the frame index to the trigger, my finger makes a quick stop at the button along the way.

interesting... looks small enough that I might be able to carry a G19 w/that AIWB

JodyH
02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Since the first picture in this thread I used a Dremel to make a second rail slot in my P2000 which allowed me to use the shorter, stiffer rail adapter on my C5L.
I plan on doing the same to my wife's Glock 19 someday when I get some free time and am thinking about it.
Makes for a better install.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0014.jpg

JodyH
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Wife's Glock 19
Gen 3
sanded down finger grooves
Vickers mag release
Hackathorn sights

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/g19_c5l.jpg

BigBang
05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone...new to pistol forum and pistol shooting, so please excuse my noobness :-)

Was reading this thread on the Viridian Laser / Light combo and wanted to add my 2 cents. I recently purchased a Viridian X5L for my Glock 19. I am impressed by its function and easy on / off (use my trigger finger). I noticed that some were asking about a holster....Viridian offers a custom holster for the Glock / Viridian X5L combo for $49 with free shipping. I believe that you can use one of their charts to find the holster that fits your gun / light combo.

Hope this helps.

twpayne75
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Since the first picture in this thread I used a Dremel to make a second rail slot in my P2000 which allowed me to use the shorter, stiffer rail adapter on my C5L.
I plan on doing the same to my wife's Glock 19 someday when I get some free time and am thinking about it.
Makes for a better install.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p82/JodyHuggins/IMAG0014.jpg

Sorry for the drift,

But would you mind going into a little more detail about making another rail slot on your P2000. I would like to put another one in mine to allow my TLR-3 to sit farther back against the trigger guard. But I'm not excited about possibly jacking up the frame on an $800 gun that the frame is not replaceable.

Thank you.

JodyH
05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry for the drift,

But would you mind going into a little more detail about making another rail slot on your P2000. I would like to put another one in mine to allow my TLR-3 to sit farther back against the trigger guard. But I'm not excited about possibly jacking up the frame on an $800 gun that the frame is not replaceable.

Thank you.
I measured the rail slot spacing on my P30 and then marked my P2000 the same with a marker.
I then used a 1" diameter green round grinding stone that was about 3/16" wide to slowly make the slot.
I just went slow and tried to match the dimensions of the other rail slot.

twpayne75
05-05-2012, 10:37 PM
I measured the rail slot spacing on my P30 and then marked my P2000 the same with a marker.
I then used a 1" diameter green round grinding stone that was about 3/16" wide to slowly make the slot.
I just went slow and tried to match the dimensions of the other rail slot.

Roger that. Last dumb questions I promise.

Did the serial number plate on the dust cover cause you any problem?

It almost looks like if I go as deep on the rail as the factory slot I will dig into the serial number plate.

How rough did it cut the plastic? Do you happen to have a picture showing how yours turned out?

Sorry to keep bothering you. You are the first person I have seen mention doing what I have been debating doing for awhile now.

JodyH
05-06-2012, 08:00 AM
The slot is almost the same depth as the serial number plate.
I just went slow and made sure I didnt grind on the plate.
As long as you dont get ham handed the slot turns out nice, you can use a felt polishing wheel to clean it up once the heavy cut is made.
No pics since the C5L is installed and zeroed right now, but it turned out looking good.
Im a fan of making the gun work for me. If that means stippling with a soldering iron, sanding off finger grooves or grinding another rail slot.
I just go slow, measure twice and cut once. You can always cut or sand more away later, adding material back is more complicated.

twpayne75
05-06-2012, 03:56 PM
The slot is almost the same depth as the serial number plate.
I just went slow and made sure I didnt grind on the plate.
As long as you dont get ham handed the slot turns out nice, you can use a felt polishing wheel to clean it up once the heavy cut is made.
No pics since the C5L is installed and zeroed right now, but it turned out looking good.
Im a fan of making the gun work for me. If that means stippling with a soldering iron, sanding off finger grooves or grinding another rail slot.
I just go slow, measure twice and cut once. You can always cut or sand more away later, adding material back is more complicated.

Thank you very much for your time. Going to pick up the dremel wheels tomorrow.

Rich
06-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Nice. I guess you still having success with the lasers.

I have a P30S w/ TLR-1 That I use as for HD and sometimes carry.

JM/John made me a custom version of his 3 IWB.

Except I changed things around for my carry methods.

I got rid of the plastic loop and got my favorite pull dot loops.
I changed cant to zero drop
I had it fit a TLR-1 300 lumen

I can tell that I carrying a Pistol with a light attached. I had no idea how easy it was. And the draw is just as fast.

I'm sure the compact viridian would be even more comfortable.

I`ve been wanting a laser light as well and have been looking at the viridian line for awhile now.