PDA

View Full Version : Best autoloader?

Panoply
01-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Hello Y'all,

I'm curious to know what the people in this community believe is the best semi-auto - name 2: one for concealed carry and the other for all other applications (range shooting, competitive shooting all types etc). Please say WHY you chose whatever it is you chose. Also, please tell me what level shooter you are. As in how long you've been shooting regularly and how often you shoot in, say, a month's time.
I have precisely 2 auto's and am looking - that's why I'm asking. Curiosity, too. ;)

Thanks!

Nik the Greek
01-14-2013, 08:28 PM
This thread is the right place to start:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?4870-What-handgun-should-I-get

Tamara
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
The Generic 9mm:

The only reason I'm carrying an M&P9 now is because I couldn't find a generic gun. Seriously, if I could have found a white gun that just said "GUN" on the side in black letters, came in 9mm, and didn't have a single line or curve on it for "styling" or "aesthetics" or "brand identity", I'd have been on that thing like white on rice.

I don't want t-shirts or an owners club or a web forum for fans; I don't want keychains or a shooting league or an official brand historian; I just want the thing to shoot. (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2012/03/changes.html)

JBP55
01-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Hello Y'all,

I'm curious to know what the people in this community believe is the best semi-auto - name 2: one for concealed carry and the other for all other applications (range shooting, competitive shooting all types etc). Please say WHY you chose whatever it is you chose. Also, please tell me what level shooter you are. As in how long you've been shooting regularly and how often you shoot in, say, a month's time.
I have precisely 2 auto's and am looking - that's why I'm asking. Curiosity, too. ;)

Thanks!

Stop by La. Gun & Reloading on Jefferson Hwy. in Baton Rouge and talk to the owner who competes weekly.
He goes by Beaux Dog on the local gun forum where they have more than 15,000 members and many compete weekly.
Mods, If I broke any rules by posting the name of the gun store delete same.

David Armstrong
01-16-2013, 05:52 PM
There is no best, just different. What is best for me may be bad for you, and what is best fo rme in situation A may be less than ideal for situation B. Personally I'm fond of Glocks, and often use a G19 for CCW and competed with a G17. Of course, I've also carried the G17 for CCW quite a bit. But if Glocks disappeared tomorrow I could move into Walther, Colt, S&W, or Sig without any hesitation.
Don't know what level I am, but I've been shooting since the late 1960s and teaching folks to fight with guns since the 1970s.

Aray
01-17-2013, 11:47 AM
What is the best vehicle? That answer is different for a suburban secretary and a farmer. The same idea applies, at least partially.

Panoply
01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Armstrong & Aray, I understand. I just was curious to see what shooters more serious (probably) than I liked. I recognize it's a very subjective thing.

Tamara, I'm the complete opposite of you. Aesthetics is definitely part of the decision making process for me. The clubs and merchandise, unless free, I've no interest in. I do wear a CZ hat often, but only b/c it is my newest and was given to me as 'my' gunshop knows I love CZ's.

JBP55, I will definitely look into that. Are you a Rougean?

My answer (as of right now, always subject to change) is: carry S&W 642; general Springfield 1911.

Tamara
01-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Tamara, I'm the complete opposite of you. Aesthetics is definitely part of the decision making process for me.

That's cool; it's a (mostly) free country. :cool:

ACP230
01-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Just had a conversation on this topic with a relative the other night.
The phrase, "That's a question without a real easy answer," kept coming up.

I have never liked Glocks (except for a dealer sample machine pistol I got to shoot once).
Have shot Beretta 92s and a Taurus .40 that's a near clone and been underwhelmed.

Tried an S&W M&P22 and an M&P9 last fall and was very impressed. The feel was a lot better to me and
I shot the M&Ps quite well--despite my continuing 1911 affliction.

So it's a question with a lot of answers, and no real easy one.

1986s4
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Whenever I see a cool pistol that I think I want to buy I ask myself; what am I going to do with it? If I can't find a use then the notion fades. I like and respect Glocks but after using one for a year I found I was better with traditional DA/SA. So the best pistol is what works for you. Rent and borrow different pistols and stick with the one that works for you. I carry what I use for competition, a little big but I shoot it well.

As a long time participant in IDPA and some USPSA my observation is that Glock, M&P and the government model are the overwhelming choice.

Best,
1986s4

ezthumper
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Glock 23 .40 and when I wear my special BVD's I drop a .357 sig barrel in the 23.

I carry a Glock simply because I am feel kind of guy, and it feels natural when I draw it and for me it has a natural point. The aesthetics mean little, I mean really, it's a lego brick.

Tried the IDPA deal for a bit, just not what I want to do right now. But marksmanship, skill sets and training is kind of a focus, so I go through about 2000 rounds a month, sometimes more sometimes less pending on time constraints.

zacii
01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Best autoloader?

The one that works when you need it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Comedian
01-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Whenever I see a cool pistol that I think I want to buy I ask myself; what am I going to do with it? If I can't find a use then the notion fades. I like and respect Glocks but after using one for a year I found I was better with traditional DA/SA. So the best pistol is what works for you. Rent and borrow different pistols and stick with the one that works for you. I carry what I use for competition, a little big but I shoot it well.

As a long time participant in IDPA and some USPSA my observation is that Glock, M&P and the government model are the overwhelming choice.

Best,
1986s4

I like this answer.

JBP55
01-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Armstrong & Aray, I understand. I just was curious to see what shooters more serious (probably) than I liked. I recognize it's a very subjective thing.

JBP55, I will definitely look into that. Are you a Rougean?

Just East of Baton Rouge in Walker.

Panoply
02-08-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm south BR. Off Highland. I was up that way and drove around but couldn't find it. I'll look em up soon.

JBP55
02-09-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm south BR. Off Highland. I was up that way and drove around but couldn't find it. I'll look em up soon.

Go one light South of Seigen/Sherwood on Airline and turn East on Jefferson beside Parkview Baptist church. The shop is approximately 7/10's of a mile down Jefferson on the right with an American flag out front.

cclaxton
02-09-2013, 07:21 PM
The best concealed carry semi-auto is one you can shoot accurately and fast enough to save yourself or your loved ones. I love to carry my Kahr PM9 because it is lightweight, has enough rounds for me, BUT when I speed up I lose accuracy. So, I carry a heavier gun, a Kimber Ultra CDP II in 9mm, and I use a Wilson 10 Round Magazine so I get enough bullets. I shoot it accurately when I shoot it relatively fast. It is a 3" barrel, has low felt recoil, is thin, is reliable, has tritium night sights, and a manual safety, and I am a big believer in manual safeties. I have owned it and practiced with it for a little less than a year. I am very happy with it as a carry gun. I also carry a S&W Bodyguard 380auto when I need deep concealment, which is a decent backup gun. Occasionally I carry a Cz 2075 RAMI alloy in 9mm. It has 14 rounds in the mag, and is an accurate and reliable gun. However it is thicker and heavier and I still prefer the Kimber for carry. If I ever get good enough to shoot the Kahr accurately and fast, I will go back to that.

My IDPA competition gun is a Cz75 Shadow in 9mm. The best thing about this gun is it's reliability...as long as I keep it relatively clean it just works. I am very accurate with it, it has low felt recoil, has a short reset (SRTS), and incredibly durable. I have easily put 9000 rounds through it and I have not replace anything other than the recoil spring. It feels good in my hand, I can grip it well, I can reload it quickly, has great fiber front sight and light 2.5lb trigger. (Maybe too light right now) I have shot a M&P Pro, I own a Glock 34, and have shot many other handguns, but the Cz is best for me. That being said, I have tremendous respect for the Glocks and M&P's in competition. The only other gun I might want to use for competition is a Wilson Combat CQB in 9mm...if I can find one and afford to buy it. Maybe when my daughter is finished with college. :D

I have been shooting since April 2011 and IDPA since July 2011. I shoot an IDPA match almost every weekend.

It's not the gun....it's the training and the shooter that makes the difference. Read the signature in my posting, and you will see what I mean.

CC

Comedian
02-09-2013, 08:20 PM
After going thru stints with Glock's, Sig's, HK's, XD's, Caracal's, FNS & 1911's, i finally settled on the M&P 9mm FS. It is a recent production M&P with a much improved trigger and good accuracy.