PDA

View Full Version : Brits adopt the Glock 17..

Kyle Reese
01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
New handgun for British forces (http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/forces-issued-with-new-pistols-1)

gtmtnbiker98
01-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Cool, now the Brits will have 'dings' on their foreheads, too.

JHC
01-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Following most of US SOCOM.

SecondsCount
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM

http://home.comcast.net/~train2live/misc/rotfl2.gif

SeriousStudent
01-11-2013, 06:56 PM

That's what that big bearskin hat is for, dontcha know.

I am curious, anyone know if it will be a Gen3 or Gen4? The article did not say.

Le Français
01-11-2013, 07:03 PM
I am curious, anyone know if it will be a Gen3 or Gen4? The article did not say.

Yes, it did say Gen4.

JV_
01-11-2013, 07:05 PM

FWIW: My new Gen4 17 and 34 have been running quite well. Not even a hint of ejection issues. Born on dates are in August - IIRC. They're running well enough I was comfortable getting a 2nd 34.

JBP55
01-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Following most of US SOCOM.

This, I understand 9mm and .40 including the G35.

Tamara
01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Given their choice in longarms, I'm not sure how much weight I'd place on this...

;)

SeriousStudent
01-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Yes, it did say Gen4.

Argh, thanks. Reading is fun-duh-mental. I should have caught that.

Force Majeure
01-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Given their choice in longarms, I'm not sure how much weight I'd place on this...

;)

Au contraire' Tamara, that makes this choice all the more important. Nowhere is the transition drill more urgent than in the UK .mil.

Tamara
01-12-2013, 07:48 AM
It's a pretty big feather in Gaston's cap. Sure, the Glock is a common cop handgun, but it hasn't made huge inroads as a standard service sidearm, which is what it was designed to be in the first place. Austria, a couple of smaller NATO armies, some various special ops units, and a bunch of non-aligned countries and Third World places run by guys dressed like train conductors, but never adopted as a standard issue sidearm by one of the Big Boys.

I'm surprised that an order for a tri-service standard sidearm from the UK MOD is only 25k units, though. That wouldn't equip the whole NYPD.

SeriousStudent
01-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Is there a commonality between sidearms issued by British police units, and this order? I am definitely not up to speed on what firearms get issued to cops in Great Britain, but I was curious if that may have been a factor.

If Her Majesty's popo use Glocks, perhaps they incorporated that into their decision as well.

Just a thought. I'm kinda wistful that they are putting away the Hi-Powers. I know they are probably shot to death, and make noise like a baby rattle when shaken. But they are so darn fun and easy to shoot.

But I'd honestly prefer a G17 over a Hi-Power, if I was back on active duty. Nostalgia has a strong pull, sometimes.

Force Majeure
01-12-2013, 12:43 PM
but never adopted as a standard issue sidearm by one of the Big Boys.

1.) Lack of external safety.

2) Poor to almost non-existant pistol training at the big Army level and from the US, it only goes downhill with our allies.

3) Institutional inertia. The idea of Joe and Joan Snuffy running around with a condition one pistol with no external safety gives Sergant Majors at the big Army level nightmares. Hell, some of them have problems with people carrying a double-action M-9 around with the hammer decocked and the safety off.

Dave J
01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
I noticed that the contract also includes 25,000 Blackhawk! holsters.

Doh!

Sparks2112
01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
I noticed that the contract also includes 25,000 Blackhawk! holsters.

Doh!

Hmmm. There's gonna be a lot of British soldiers with limps in the next couple of years.

Kyle Reese
01-15-2013, 11:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPIpNUPKVuY

JV_
01-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Check out the group at 2:17

Tamara
01-15-2013, 12:10 PM

*blink*

I has a sad. :(

Chris Rhines
01-15-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the trooper doing the demonstration was clearly not familiar with the Glock or the holster.

SeriousStudent
01-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Agreed.

I would have hoped for a better group, from a bootneck they chose to put on the telly.

Dave J
01-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Must've been working pelvic girdle shots, I guess. If you're not really going to incapacitate your opponent, at least make sure he won't reproduce :)

In fairness to the Brits, it's not like they can go practice on their off-duty time.

Sparks2112
01-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah, the trooper doing the demonstration was clearly not familiar with the Glock or the holster.

I'm calling it now, there are gonna be a lotta Brits putting holes in themselves with that combo.

Sparks2112
01-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Low and to the left? With a right handed shooter? No way!

Drang
01-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Agreed.

I would have hoped for a better group, from a bootneck they chose to put on the telly.
Yeah, I was thinking if they were going to film it and post it to the yoot00b, they should have made the effort to find someone who knew what he was doing. Surely they have someone...?

And what was that bizarre "ready" position? Looked like Scrooge rubbing his hands over his ill-gotten gains.

Kid at the end seemed to be afraid of the pistola, which I suppose should be no surprise.

Le Français
01-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Surely they have someone...?

Long, awkward silence ensues...

SeriousStudent
01-15-2013, 09:16 PM
I can personally attest to the efficiency of the pistol training I received in grunt school, lo those many years ago. They handed us a 1911 that shook and sounded like a baby rattle.

"Loud noise comes out this end, don't point that at me or I'll punch you in the head. Recoil comes out the other end. Five rounds in the mag, make some noise, boy."

Seriously, we spent more time cleaning them than shooting them. But that's the Corps for you - sigh.

I would just have hoped they would throw a ringer in there, get somebody like Failure2Stop to drill a nice tight group. So the folks watching at home would felt they got their pound's worth with the new blasters.

Sparks2112
01-15-2013, 09:23 PM
I can personally attest to the efficiency of the pistol training I received in grunt school, lo those many years ago. They handed us a 1911 that shook and sounded like a baby rattle.

"Loud noise comes out this end, don't point that at me or I'll punch you in the head. Recoil comes out the other end. Five rounds in the mag, make some noise, boy."

Seriously, we spent more time cleaning them than shooting them. But that's the Corps for you - sigh.

I would just have hoped they would throw a ringer in there, get somebody like Failure2Stop to drill a nice tight group. So the folks watching at home would felt they got their pound's worth with the new blasters.

Hardwon lesson of mine from the Army, don't shoot better than your DS in front of anyone wearing bars.... :(

EMC
01-15-2013, 09:24 PM
What was that strange spasmatic move he was doing with his hand over the gun after each set? Reminded me of the first episode of walking dead where they were pretending to turn the imaginary safety off on their glocks.

SeriousStudent
01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Hardwon lesson of mine from the Army, don't shoot better than your DS in front of anyone wearing bars.... :(

Sweet mother of pearl, it wasn't hard to shoot badly. Those poor old 1911's had eleventy-billion rounds through them. The bullets could fly sideways out the barrels.

I was one of those folks that was delighted when we got the M9. I finally had a secondary weapon that could shoot minute of berm.

Force Majeure
01-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Low and to the left? With a right handed shooter? No way!

El Snatcho won that Gunfight!

Al T.
01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
I was one of those folks that was delighted when we got the M9.

QFT

NETim
01-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Sweet mother of pearl, it wasn't hard to shoot badly. Those poor old 1911's had eleventy-billion rounds through them. The bullets could fly sideways out the barrels.

I was one of those folks that was delighted when we got the M9. I finally had a secondary weapon that could shoot minute of berm.

Our Squid guns weren't any better. They rattled like a beer can full of rocks. I remember finding a .45 FMJ downrange at the North Island range lying in the sand. Maybe 50% of the slug bore rifling marks. It gave me a great deal of confidence in those old guns.

Drang
01-16-2013, 09:53 PM

No shit, there I was...
1992, I was at Camp Red Cloud, Korea, and we went to North Star Range because we were deactivating the company and had all these .45 hardball rounds in the bunker we had to burn off...
One of the local MP companies had just turned in their M1911s for M9s, and were trying to qualify.
Trying.
We had .45s older than any two soldiers at that range combined, and all did fine--I qualified Expert, but the mud puppies all bolo'd.

And then, 7 years later, I was back at North Star range with an M9, and finally qualified Marksman on the third attempt. With a pistol that wasn't ten years old.

I was already a 1911 man, but that cinched it.

SeriousStudent
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
I completely believe you. And congrats on shooting Expert, by the way.

The difference for me was that when I got out to the FMF, I had some great NCO's teach me, on brand new Beretta's. At the time I mentioned, the Corps was stretching every dollar until the eagle screamed. The 1911's we had at SOI were truly bottom of the barrel. The Reagan money had not shown up yet.

I grew up shooting Colt 1911's. My 16th birthday present was a NIB pre-70 Series 1911. I wish I still had it. I'd love to be a 1911 man again, and likely will be. I've got an old Colt that I'll probably send off to Dave Berryhill or Jason Burton. I like their craft and artistry.

But for me at this point, it's a Glock 19. It has no soul, but it is efficient. The pretty guns go to my BBQ's, and the efficient guns go in my holster.

Thanks for your service, too. I hope you did not drink too much soju over there, and never got the Pohang crud. ;)

Drang
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
I hope you did not drink too much soju over there, and never got the Pohang crud. ;)

Well, I don't remember any soju... :rolleyes:

SouthNarc
01-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Is there a commonality between sidearms issued by British police units, and this order? I am definitely not up to speed on what firearms get issued to cops in Great Britain, but I was curious if that may have been a factor.

If Her Majesty's popo use Glocks, perhaps they incorporated that into their decision as well.

Just a thought. I'm kinda wistful that they are putting away the Hi-Powers. I know they are probably shot to death, and make noise like a baby rattle when shaken. But they are so darn fun and easy to shoot.

But I'd honestly prefer a G17 over a Hi-Power, if I was back on active duty. Nostalgia has a strong pull, sometimes.

ARVs and SFOs w/ SO19 have been using Glocks for years.

WDW
01-18-2013, 07:46 AM
No formal break for tea between firings?

Gary1911A1
01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
I bet the Britist carry their current Hi-Powers with an empty chamber and soon will carry their Glocks the same. My former department is talking of going Glock and if they do the firing line will be one dangerous place to be.

SeriousStudent
01-19-2013, 12:25 AM
ARVs and SFOs w/ SO19 have been using Glocks for years.

Thank you, I appreciate your answer and your time.

And I'll see you in Tyler in March!

Kyle Reese
10-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Contract news, the MoD has a requirement for 9 mm NATO Ball Parabellum Ammunition, millions of em!

http://www.thinkdefence.co.uk/2014/10/9mm-ammunition/

Slater
10-08-2014, 06:55 AM
This is their new holster (made in Italy). Can't say I've heard of this particular company:

http://www.radar1957.com/en/holsters/duty-holster/6657.php?m=5&sm=&sx=83

HCM
10-08-2014, 10:18 AM
So did the Brits adopt the standard Gen 4 17 ? There were photos floating around a few years ago of Gen 4 17s with manual safeties which were supposed to be for the UK pistol trials. One had a thumb safety and I think there was one with some type of cross bolt safety.

Kyle Reese
10-08-2014, 10:51 AM
So did the Brits adopt the standard Gen 4 17 ? There were photos floating around a few years ago of Gen 4 17s with manual safeties which were supposed to be for the UK pistol trials. One had a thumb safety and I think there was one with some type of cross bolt safety.
Standard Gen 4 17's.

HCM
10-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Thanks - from the photo in your link it looks like they went with the standard steel sights vs plastic.

Chuck Haggard
10-08-2014, 11:52 AM
This is their new holster (made in Italy). Can't say I've heard of this particular company:

http://www.radar1957.com/en/holsters/duty-holster/6657.php?m=5&sm=&sx=83

Looks like an improved Serpa.

Awesome choice.

Hambo
10-08-2014, 02:09 PM
Looks like an improved Serpa.

Awesome choice.

Bloody awful, the Brits would say.

JonInWA
10-08-2014, 02:54 PM
This is only a supposition, but the Brits might have gone with the Luminescent (not tritium) steel sights; they're mentioned as an OEM option in the Glock Armorers Manual and the US Parts List, but I've personally never seen 'em. Europeans seem more oriented towards luminescent versus tritium sights, possibly because of bureaucratic radioactivity sensitivity issues.

Best, Jon

HCM
10-08-2014, 04:24 PM
This is only a supposition, but the Brits might have gone with the Luminescent (not tritium) steel sights; they're mentioned as an OEM option in the Glock Armorers Manual and the US Parts List, but I've personally never seen 'em. Europeans seem more oriented towards luminescent versus tritium sights, possibly because of bureaucratic radioactivity sensitivity issues.

Best, Jon

Thanks, I knew about the steel dot/U sights but I didn't know Glock offered Luminescent . I just noticed the front sight in the photo didn't have the triangle profile of the Glock plastic front sight.

JBP55
10-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Glock Luminescent front NF17G32.
Luminescent 6.5 mm rear NR17G32.