PDA

View Full Version : Concealed carry on the job

Meaghurd929
01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I was curious as to what the law is about concealed carry at your job. I have a carry permit but I was just curious. Thanks in advance.

LOKNLOD
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
It depends on where you live, and where you work. I think a detailed reading of your state carry statues would be needed. There's not some federal law that says "folks can't carry guns at their workplace".

peterb
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Many employers forbid employees from bringing weapons onto company property. Violations can lead to immediate termination. Violators can also be charged with trespassing if they do not leave immediately when asked to.

Some state have laws that allow employees to keep legally owned firearms locked in their vehicles on their employer's property.

John Ralston
01-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Much of it has to do with company policy, not the law. Depending on where you work, you might not get arrested, but you will get fired for violating company policy.

peterb
01-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Many employers forbid employees from bringing weapons onto company property. Violations can lead to immediate termination. Violators can also be charged with trespassing if they do not leave immediately when asked to.

Some state have laws that allow employees to keep legally owned firearms locked in their vehicles on their employer's property. Example: http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news-from-nra-ila/2009/critical-self-defense-legislation-signe.aspx

Whoops! Sorry about the double post.

JM Campbell
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Very true gents....

NPE protocals....concealed means concealed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

ST911
01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Local P&P controls the act. Some industries may have special regulation in statute (medical, educational, government, etc). If you're not confident in the answer you'll receive at the local level, I wouldn't advertise your interest or possible intent. Do a cost:benefit.

I have to carry at my day job. They even want me to carry an extra gun, too. A little harder to carry at my PT job though. Still, is nice.

http://a2mcdermottj.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/borat-mankini-very-nice.jpg

JM Campbell
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM

How did you get TC's 2012 vacation pics?

JHC
01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Local P&P controls the act. Some industries may have special regulation in statute (medical, educational, government, etc). If you're not confident in the answer you'll receive at the local level, I wouldn't advertise your interest or possible intent. Do a cost:benefit.

I have to carry at my day job. They even want me to carry an extra gun, too. A little harder to carry at my PT job though. Still, is nice.

Decent hip flexors. Just decent though. :eek: Off body or in body carry? :eek:

Up1911Fan
01-10-2013, 10:55 PM
I work corrections so no "concealed" carry at work for me.

Lomshek
01-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I was curious as to what the law is about concealed carry at your job. I have a carry permit but I was just curious. Thanks in advance.

Bear in mind that IF it's legal in your state you still risk being fired if the fact that you carry becomes known. Aside from fairly small companies owned by a pro-gun person most businesses will take the risk averse route of forbidding carry and just asking about it will put you in the crosshairs of any hoplophobes.

My advice in such a situation would be to carry for 100% deep concealment (if you choose to carry) and understand that any exposure can be fatal to your career. Before I carried in such an environment I'd make sure my carry method was impossible to be found out short of metal detectors or a pat down.

Will you print when you sit or tie your shoe? What if a co-worker bumps you while walking past? Is there any physical contact ever? Do you do anything physical? Will you have to adjust the gun because it pinches your gut? All worth considering before you do it.

TCinVA
01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
How did you get TC's 2012 vacation pics?

I'm insulted. There's no way I'd be caught dead in aviators.

Kyle Reese
01-11-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm insulted. There's no way I'd be caught dead in aviators.

That pic could be me, but with a David Hasselhof face.:D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

butler coach
01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
nope for me work in a public school not even permitted to have it in my truck.

jon volk
01-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Lomshek summed it up perfectly. If it is not illegal,careful concealment and weighing of risk/benefit are all up to the individual.

Carraway
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
If your organization has an employee handbook, it probably states the policy. For instance, my current employer says carrying any weapon will result in immediate dismissal. It just occurred to me that the only time I even read the employee handbook was after getting my CCW license.

Undertow
01-14-2013, 06:39 PM
In our litigious-happy culture any employer with an HR department most likely has a "no weapons allowed" policy.

The only decision to be made is whether or not you're going to abide by said policy.

Meaghurd929
01-16-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm not really sure what the policy is. I work in a restaurant as a waitress and its a local family owned business.

JAD
01-16-2013, 06:30 AM
You probably don't have an employee manual (so there's something you can be thankful for). Legally, unless the owner has posted no guns signs (and again this all can vary by state etc), you probably are alright to carry; now you have an ethical decision to make, about asking forgiveness versus permission. You have to decide whether you should ask the owner, or not. Tough call in some ways, at least for me.

joshs
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
If you are an at-will employee, then your employer can fire you for carrying even without a written policy.

JAD
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM
If you are an at-will employee, then your employer can fire you for carrying even without a written policy.
-- You bet, or for pretty much any reason.

Dave J
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
You have to be alive to get fired. Seems like a pretty straightforward choice to me.

JAD
01-16-2013, 11:05 AM
It's interesting. I generally won't carry into a friend or acquaintances' house unless I know that they're comfortable with it, especially if they have children. It seems rude. In some cases that means I don't visit some friends, and that's OK too. Likewise, I don't think I'd carry at a family-owned place of work unless I had a pretty good feel for how they felt about it -- but then, if I thought they were seriously going to object to it, and I had a high-risk occupation like a waitress, I might not choose to work there (if I had the luxury of choice). Not /terrifically/ black and white, but then so very little is.

jwperry
01-18-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm not really sure what the policy is. I work in a restaurant as a waitress and its a local family owned business.

Does said establishment have a designated bar area and/or serve alcohol? In Florida that would play into the legality of it.

But, like others have said, you have to be alive to stand trial or get fined which really beats the alternative..

Meaghurd929
01-18-2013, 10:12 PM
No we do not serve alcohol.