PDA

View Full Version : And Heeerrreee's Biden!

NETim
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
EO in the works?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/01/09/biden_obama_can_use_executive_orders_to_act_on_gun _control.html

BLR
01-09-2013, 02:38 PM
I don't see anything happening here.

My worries have dissipated mostly.

JDM
01-09-2013, 02:48 PM
I don't see anything happening here.

My worries have dissipated mostly.

Why is that, Bill?

littlejerry
01-09-2013, 03:22 PM
EO in the works?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/01/09/biden_obama_can_use_executive_orders_to_act_on_gun _control.html

Import bans would be low hanging fruit.

Banning the importation of ammo or components is what I'm very nervous about.

Shellback
01-09-2013, 03:24 PM
http://youtu.be/NFXZiMaJPRU

secondstoryguy
01-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I just read up on presidential executive orders. Stick a fork in us, we're done.

JConn
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
I just read up on presidential executive orders. Stick a fork in us, we're done.

Constitution still applies bud. They are still up for review.

jon volk
01-09-2013, 04:30 PM

Aren't we still stuck with the EO until the Supreme Court sorts it out?

JConn
01-09-2013, 04:34 PM
I could be remembering wrong, and our lawyer members will know better, but I believe Congress technically has a way to regulate EOs. Of course we would probably be stuck until SCOTUS got to it and hopefully upholds the Constitution. Let's see what he does. Invoking the 14th for something like gun control would start a constitutional crisis, and be very messy.

JHC
01-09-2013, 04:39 PM
If states can defy the DEA over pot; plenty of red states ought to defy EO's.

Dagga Boy
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
I see it coming through Consumer Affairs as a dangerous product or health an human services. Hopefully, somebody like Rick Perry will make it applicable to all Federal L/E and Military in States, or not enforceable.....eg. Magazines over 10 rounds are apublic danger and banned as a harmful product.......would need to apply to EVERYONE on an E/O. It would be hard to make a product hazardous or a health risk and then say it isn't when used by the government.

secondstoryguy
01-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I believe only 2 presidential executive orders have been overturned.

Dave J
01-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Aren't we still stuck with the EO until the Supreme Court sorts it out?

I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC Congress can add language in the budget to prohibit funds from being used to enforce an EO. This effectively neutralizes the EO, although only for one year at a time, and the President could choose to veto the entire budget if he really wanted to fight it out.

Not HighSpeed
01-09-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm not a lawyer, but IIRC Congress can add language in the budget to prohibit funds from being used to enforce an EO. This effectively neutralizes the EO, although only for one year at a time, and the President could choose to veto the entire budget if he really wanted to fight it out.

And since they haven't even passed a budget in the last couple of years...:mad:

Dave J
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
And since they haven't even passed a budget in the last couple of years...:mad:

But they've done partial spending bills, and prohibitory language attached to those has force of law too.

MGW
01-09-2013, 05:45 PM
I see it coming through Consumer Affairs as a dangerous product or health an human services. Hopefully, somebody like Rick Perry will make it applicable to all Federal L/E and Military in States, or not enforceable.....eg. Magazines over 10 rounds are apublic danger and banned as a harmful product.......would need to apply to EVERYONE on an E/O. It would be hard to make a product hazardous or a health risk and then say it isn't when used by the government.

I'm not sure but I think that has been tried before. It seems like I remember hearing that go around but don't remember exactly where I heard it.

JodyH
01-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Buford T. Justice: "What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law."

fixer
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM

Please explain...I need to learn about this.

What review process was there for E09066 and 6102?

BLR
01-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Why is that, Bill?

The most concrete reason, they are talking EO. If they had the horsepower to see something through and believed it, they'd be going after legislation instead of spending time on this.

An EO will alienate, even further, Congress because it is effectively bypassing them. An EO will be brought to court instantly, in all 50 states.

Media is already getting ADD, and FOX is back on Benghazi. The '94 AWB/Crime Bill was pushed through when we didn't have the internet. We now have the internet, and the amount of communication/fact checking going on is serving to stem the tide of the battle. In 2 weeks Hillie will be talking to the Benghazi commission - which means media flurry over that, not gun control.

If "X" number of states petitioned for succession over Barry just winning the election, imagine the unholy hell that will be unleashed if a EO gun control effort is really made....from the same admin/AG that seeded half of Mexico with assault weapons! It'll be ugly to the extreme.

I was worried and all a couple weeks ago. I've calmed down, and am significantly less worried now.

That said, I also believed there was no way the country would re-elect this joke either, so that shows you just how well I gauge this stuff.

SeriousStudent
01-09-2013, 09:17 PM

This. If the government can legally force you to purchase health insurance, then it is a very small step to add a surcharge.

You smoke? Surcharge. Have diabetes? Surcharge. Family cardiac history? Surcharge.

You like to spend time around lead, and quickly moving lead at that? Double surcharge.

Look at how many shooting ranges have been zoned out of existence. Look at the tax on beer and cigarettes. They are called sin taxes, correct? That glass of Bourbon you had after work Friday would cost a LOT less without the taxes.

You'll be handling hazardous substances, and will be charged health insurance costs commensurate for your risky activities. Why, don't those evil primers and terrible powders already bear hazmat labels? Seems like an easy case for Holder et al to make.

"You'll just be paying your fair share." And that's what they want to do, right? Make you rich gun owners pay your fair share?

F-Trooper05
01-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Here's a Congressional Research Service report on Executive Orders for anyone who's interested. CRS always does a good job of breaking down complex legislative issues for even the dumbest of Congressional staffers.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS20846.pdf

LOKNLOD
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
You'll be handling hazardous substances, and will be charged health insurance costs commensurate for your risky activities. Why, don't those evil primers and terrible powders already bear hazmat labels? Seems like an easy case for Holder et al to make.

"You'll just be paying your fair share." And that's what they want to do, right? Make you rich gun owners pay your fair share?

That's another angle on the registration push, too --We've got to know who to charge, right? Even if it doesn't require weapons registration, it at least requires owner registration.

NickA
01-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Well whatever Joe's up to we should know by Tuesday :
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/politics/gun-control-battle/index.html?c=mobile-homepage-t

LOKNLOD
01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Well whatever Joe's up to we should know by Tuesday :
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/10/politics/gun-control-battle/index.html?c=mobile-homepage-t

In a way, this gives me a sense of hope that they see their window slipping away and feel they have to move quickly.

On the other hand, moving much more quickly than Congress could ever react could serve as part of their justification on use of EO powers (to do whatever it is that may or may not be done by EO, not trying to get into that discussion).

I'm really interested to see what the Biden committee spits out. It will do a lot to frame where the fight goes from here...

NickA
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
In a way, this gives me a sense of hope that they see their window slipping away and feel they have to move quickly.

On the other hand, moving much more quickly than Congress could ever react could serve as part of their justification on use of EO powers (to do whatever it is that may or may not be done by EO, not trying to get into that discussion).

I'm really interested to see what the Biden committee spits out. It will do a lot to frame where the fight goes from here...

It will be interesting. On one hand, like you say, the window may be closing as emotions cool. On the other, I can't help thinking that a protracted fight will be a good distraction for them when the debt ceiling debate flares up (and possibly if Benghazi comes back into the spotlight with Clinton’s testimony).

secondstoryguy
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Who's on Biden's panel? I can't seem to find it anywhere on Google. Would there be a transcription of these meetings in public record?

wrt81
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Who's on Biden's panel? I can't seem to find it anywhere on Google. Would there be a transcription of these meetings in public record?

Pretty much every anti-gun organization. And they invited the NRA to seem "fair".

From what I have read, the meetings are not "public".

LHS
01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
NRA just stated that the meeting was a pointless waste of their time. Biden's course is set, and he had no interest in talking anything reasonable with the NRA. But then again, we expected that.

JConn
01-10-2013, 05:59 PM
At least the nra seems to be holding strong so far. Biden said every group he met with was OK with mag capacity limits though. This was something I heard on the radio and I haven't seen anything else.

Edit: I have not been able to verify this and it is from Joe Biden.... Soooo.

jon volk
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
I sure hope the NRA didn't concede to mag limits.

Shellback
01-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Captain Fast & Furious Eric Holder made the show.

secondstoryguy
01-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Captain Fast & Furious Eric Holder made the show.

Yea, I saw that. Then I made the Scooby Doo confused noise.

Drang
01-14-2013, 10:12 PM
This in today: Joe Biden on guns: White House readies 19 executive actions - POLITICO.com (http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/biden-guns-executive-actions-86187.html?hp=t2_3)

Also in today: GOP congressman threatens impeachment if Obama uses executive action for gun control | The Daily Caller (http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/14/gop-congressman-threatens-impeachment-if-obama-uses-executive-action-for-gun-control/)

The NRA has been saying "No compromise, not giving an inch." They've been responding to individual posts on Facespace and Twitter.

BLR
01-15-2013, 07:28 AM
Impeachment including: gun control, F&F, Benghazi, et al. would be quite a show.

And seriously damage the Left/Prog movement I think.

As I said before, I'm feeling good about not getting a AWB, because if they had the horsepower, they wouldn't be talking EO. Because the first thing that will happen is the SCUS will hear a case on it. And I don't think it will go well for EO powers and especially EO powers limiting rights. Because that sets a dangerous precedent. Though, DC people only work on an IQ of about 50, so who knows.

NETim
01-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Impeachment including: gun control, F&F, Benghazi, et al. would be quite a show.

And seriously damage the Left/Prog movement I think.

As I said before, I'm feeling good about not getting a AWB, because if they had the horsepower, they wouldn't be talking EO. Because the first thing that will happen is the SCUS will hear a case on it. And I don't think it will go well for EO powers and especially EO powers limiting rights. Because that sets a dangerous precedent. Though, DC people only work on an IQ of about 50, so who knows.

Nah. Their traditional base couldn't care less.

EO's DO set a dangerous precedent. But we want free stuff. Damn the consequences.

"Everybody wants the government to 'do something!' until it does it to them." -- Rick Gaber

Kyle Reese
01-15-2013, 09:19 AM

EO's DO set a dangerous precedent. But we want free stuff. Damn the consequences.

"Everybody wants the government to 'do something!' until it does it to them." -- Rick Gaber

I posed the question to a left leaning acquaintance once - How would they feel giving their worst political opponent the same powers being exercised now? The lightbulb did appear to come on for a second or two while they tried to formulate a coherent response.

NETim
01-15-2013, 10:35 AM
I posed the question to a left leaning acquaintance once - How would they feel giving their worst political opponent the same powers being exercised now? The lightbulb did appear to come on for a second or two while they tried to formulate a coherent response.

My most favorite quote:

"No matter who you are or what you believe, you have to understand that some day the worst control-freaks among your bitterest enemies will control the federal government, and you better have restored effective, working constitutional limitations on that government before that time arrives." -- Rick Gaber

BLR
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM

I'll disagree with the traditional base comment. If it turns out what we think happened during the First Four, it will throw a spotlight on the rest of the Dems, at least the ones supporting them. Till now, the media has shielded them pretty effectively, but impeachment hearings? Remember when Slick Willy was getting his? And that was just perjury over oral sex. 4 dead seals? Seeding Mexico with assualt weapons illegally? Yeah, will be ugly I think.

RoyGBiv
12-12-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm gonna resurrect this old thread and take it in a new direction...
OP was about Biden and gun control, but the title is appropriate for much more.
Hope that's ok...

'Ol Joe is jumping the shark (again) and claiming to be descended from illegal aliens.

Biden Says His Ancestors Came to U.S. Illegally (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/11/biden-says-his-ancestors-came-to-u-s-illegally-tells-questioner-she-should-check-her-own-ancestry/)

I bet some of his other ancestors are gay, black, environmentalists.

ToddG
12-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Half of mine came over on the Mayflower. Does that count?

RoyGBiv
12-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Half of mine came over on the Mayflower. Does that count?

Yes. Your ancestors would qualify as Illegal Aliens, according to the Wampanoags'