PDA

View Full Version : More range sessions or more rounds down range per session.

rsa-otc
01-09-2013, 01:43 PM
During the Fall thru Spring months I usually dedicate one range session per week and 100 rounds per visit. Because of difficult circumstances I missed last week’s range session. At this week’s session I ended up shooting last week’s as well as this week’s ammo allotment. Since I had more ammo during this session I was able to do a greater variety of range exercises.

This got me thinking; while I have seen improvement using my current 100 round one time per week regimen, should I continue to go once per week shooting 100 rounds or would I be better off going every other week and shooting 200 rounds? The overall round count will be the same but will I benefit from a less frequent more in-depth practice session?

Thoughts?

JV_
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I'm finding that 200-300 rounds / session is a sweet spot for me. I'd rather go every other week, with 200 rounds, and dryfire on the off week, than split it up in to (2) 100 round sessions.

I need a warm up, of about 50 rounds, to really get moving and pushing myself. With a limited ammo allotment, I want to minimize that warmup ammo.

psalms144.1
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
When I was at the peak of my training regimen, I would shoot every week (unless we were on the road), and typically shoot 250-300 rounds of handgun per session. Of course, my range time and ammunition were provided by your (and my) tax dollars, so I had a little more flexibity than average.

I think it's hard to determine a training "sweet spot" without knowing the type of training and drills you're working. If all you're doing is shooting Dot Torture, looking for clean targets, 200 rounds (four iterations) might be all you can sustain without going a little buggy. Alternatively, if you're shooting VTAC's 1/2 & 1/2 drill - where even the "slow" 10 shots is still fired in 10 seconds or less, you can go through quite a few rounds without getting too fatigued.

I know, for me, it's more about time on the range and climate than round count. When I was shooting outdoors on MacDill AFB in the summer, at the end of two hours, I was drenched and whipped. Now, on LI, shooting outdoors in temps below freezing, an hour is about my max (my blood has definitely thinned). But, as a rule of thumb, I'd rather train more often with higher focus, than less often, with a higher round count...

Regards,

Kevin

rsa-otc
01-09-2013, 04:21 PM
With regards to the type of training I do in the "OFF" season, it varies. Usually some kind of speed drill on 4 inch circles at 7 yards combining draws to a single shot, multiple shots & 1 RL 2, transitions across 2 4” circles. I have also been working on accuracy at speed on a 8” circle at 20 yards working towards improving my Stage 3 time on the IDPA classifier ( last time I shot the classifier I missed Master SSR by 1.09 seconds with only 11 points down, when studying it, My stage three times need to shrink). Generally I end each session with a slow fire accuracy drill of 2 strings of 10 rounds on 2 B-8 targets at 25 yards.

ST911
01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
I seem to have better results with more regular activity, even if reduced in duration, round count, or intensity. It all depends on the purpose or goal of the session. I plan sessions in advance for better time and ammo management. I'm fortunate to have indoor and outdoor ranges close by with 24/7 access and no goofy range rules.

Last month, I shot countless LE qual COFs from various places and accumulated high round counts each session. Today, I fired 40 rounds of 9mm in very deliberate work and felt I had a better workout than several of the previous qual sessions combined. It's all about the activity.

ACP230
01-20-2013, 08:21 AM
I am somewhat older than I used to be. (How did that happen?)
So, I tire out more quickly than I used to.
More range sessions, with lower round counts, would work better for me.

Casual Friday
02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
Right now, weather, schedule, and family obligations have dictated my live fire training schedule to be every couple weeks with dry fire, drawing from concealment, and reload drills being done in the comfort of my living room several times a week after the family goes to bed.

I really prefer the 100 rounds once a week regimen though, and making all 100 count.

Stuffbreaker
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
I recently cut my sessions to half the volume I normally shoot, but doubled the frequency of range visits. Progress is being made. One of my immediate goals is to shoot better cold, and more range visits combined with regular dry fire is helping. I deprive myself of any kind of warm-up, making my sessions more focussed from start to finish.