PDA

View Full Version : A hello and a question

Silvershadow
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Hello,

I am new to the forums and I wanted to say hi.

I also have a question about concealed carry. I have a friend who is looking at different carry options and has settled mostly on pocket carry because he feels like he cannot IWB carry. He mainly feels this way because he has a small frame and wears mostly dress slacks and dress shirts without a jacket. I was wondering if anyone could offer any good IWB suggestions for an MP 9mmc and LCP for someone in his situation. AIWB is out of the question for him.

Thank you!

RoyGBiv
01-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Welcome.!

AIWB is out of the question for him.
Can you elaborate?
Is there some physical restriction or is it a comfort issue or an equipment issue?

Silvershadow
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Basically he is uncomfortable with the idea. He is also very new to owning a handgun as well as concealed carry (we both are really). It has also been told to us by those with great experience that AIWB isn't for everyone and not for the "newbie" so to speak.

Edit:

He is also concerned about draw times/binding on clothing/ and printing

RoyGBiv
01-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Got it..

First thing to do before you decide to carry is to shoot enough to be comfortable with handguns, generally. As you become more familiar, you'll begin to develop personal preferences.. for caliber, for how well a particular gun fits your hands, etc. Here in TX it's pretty easy to find a range with a large selection of rental guns. If you've decided on 9mm (seems to be the accepted "preferred choice for cc" around here, but not exclusively) do your research, pick several well-recommended guns that are within your budget and go try them. The folks here will be happy to give you opinions when you've narrowed the field down to a handful of choices.

I find small 9mm's very "snappy", making follow on shots more difficult. You'll need to find your own balance between weapon size (bigger being generally easier to shoot accurately) and concealability (smaller being better for that). Being new, you'll likely find that you're more comfortable carrying a smaller handgun and are more willing to train for the downside of handling smaller guns for the improved ease of concealability. That might change as you gain more experience.

Don't overlook the need for a complete system... Not only does your gun choice matter, but a good holster and belt will enable you to comfortably carry a wider range of weapons. It's a rare CC holder that doesn't have a shoebox full of discarded holsters.

As your confidence grows and you get more comfortable with both handling and concealment, you might be more comfortable moving to a larger (size, not necessarily caliber) weapon or a different method of concealment... Bottom line is that there are MANY options, what's right for me isn't necessarily right for you and even though you're not comfortable with something (like AIWB) today doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it later. Also, you shouldn't view choosing a handgun as a lifelong relationship. Pick something that is well-considered, but if/when it's just not right anymore, or you've just plain outgrown it, move on. It's a tool, not a wife.

Not sure that answered anything .... :o :D

Silvershadow
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Thankfully we have a good teacher for the handling and choosing of a gun. I chose the MP 9mm C as did he, but he is also looking at the LCP and Kel-tech .380. We have some range time with the MP granted much more is needed. I have an old faithful hip holster coming to try out, but I was wondering about advised options to try for his type of dress. Everyone is different, but being pointed at a good place to start is always helpful.

Thank you very much for your input thus far. It is very helpful.

JM Campbell
01-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Thankfully we have a good teacher for the handling and choosing of a gun. I chose the MP 9mm C as did he, but he is also looking at the LCP and Kel-tech .380. We have some range time with the MP granted much more is needed. I have an old faithful hip holster coming to try out, but I was wondering about advised options to try for his type of dress. Everyone is different, but being pointed at a good place to start is always helpful.

Thank you very much for your input thus far. It is very helpful.

If you want to try AIWB carry I have a spare that you can borrow (use with unloaded gun and practice draw and fit). Shoot me a PM with your contact info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Silvershadow
01-09-2013, 12:45 PM
If you want to try AIWB carry I have a spare that you can borrow (use with unloaded gun and practice draw and fit). Shoot me a PM with your contact info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Much appreciated, but for now AIWB is a no go for my friend.

MDS
01-09-2013, 02:29 PM
When dressed similarly, I comfortably carry a g19 all day in a milt Sparks vm2 with the tuckable loops. I'm not a very small guy, though, and a few days of experimentation might be necessary to get it hidden and comfy. Bending over is the only problem, it prints like mad in that configuration (tucked dress shirt with no jacket.)

I haven't needed to dress that way for some time now...the vm2 is a great holster even without the tuckable option, so it works under a light jacket or loose-fitting shirt, when you're not tucked.

Also, I've never used them, but other folks have mentioned success using a belly band when dressed similarly.