PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from California here that can explain this??

BaiHu
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Shooting-Prompt-New-Gun-Bill-185968592.html?dr

In NJ, I have to present my FID and sign alongside their ledger if I buy ammo in the store. As for online sales, I just have to be over 21 and they won't ship to most of CA from what I understand, so WTH are they talking about?

Kimura
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
In California you can walk into any store that sells ammo and simply purchase it as you would any other product. This includes some Walmarts. Most places have pistol ammo locked up, but you just have to tell the clerk what you want. Online sales are the same as everywhere.

jumpthestack
01-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Currently ammo is pretty much unrestricted in CA. You have to show proof of age to buy handgun ammo in a store, but it's not registered or anything. You can buy ammo online shipped to your house except if you live in San Francisco or a few other specific cities. So this bill would add a huge amount of hassle for us. A similar bill passed in 2009 but was ruled unconstitutional before it went into effect. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Assembly_Bill_962_%282009%29

BaiHu
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Wow! NJ is actually worse than CA in this case. Thanks for the education.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Suvorov
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Wow! NJ is actually worse than CA in this case. Thanks for the education.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

No, as far as gun owning goes, we are better off in Cali than NJ, NY, and much of New England. Rifles just require a 10 day wait, Pistols a Handgun Safety Card (which requires a test somewhat like a DMV drivers license test) and a 10 day wait. Semi Auto rifle laws are a little more restrictive that AWB 94 laws but we have developed some tolerable work arounds. Ammo, as others have mentioned is fairly easy to purchase but we have been getting about one law a year trying to restrict it. Now that the Demoncrats have a super majority in the state legislature, I expect this year to be a very bad year for us here and we may very well end up worse that you guys by the end of the year.

BaiHu
01-08-2013, 03:04 PM
No, as far as gun owning goes, we are better off in Cali than NJ, NY, and much of New England. Rifles just require a 10 day wait, Pistols a Handgun Safety Card (which requires a test somewhat like a DMV drivers license test) and a 10 day wait. Semi Auto rifle laws are a little more restrictive that AWB 94 laws but we have developed some tolerable work arounds. Ammo, as others have mentioned is fairly easy to purchase but we have been getting about one law a year trying to restrict it. Now that the Demoncrats have a super majority in the state legislature, I expect this year to be a very bad year for us here and we may very well end up worse that you guys by the end of the year.

Oddly, we have no wait on rifles. Once you have an FID, you can just buy any rifle you'd like-no wait. As for pistols, your FID must be valid, you must apply for a permit, which used to take 7 business days, but now takes until the cows come home given all the NICS backlog. We get 15 rd mags, but only allowed to buy 1 handgun per month.

However, in some areas of CA it is easier to get a carry permit. In NJ, there are probably under 30,000 people with carry permits and they are all ex-LEO in my guesstimation, b/c anyone I know, who has legitimately tried (from diamond merchants to NRA instructors who travel with a big sign that says I have guns in my car) is met with, "good luck trying, but you're wasting your time" from the detective handling the request.