PDA

View Full Version : Extra power buffer spring?

Cacafuego
01-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Wolff offers an "extra power" buffer spring for AR rifles and carbines. Anybody have any input? Good idea, bad idea, won't matter in the slightest?

JodyH
01-08-2013, 07:58 AM
I run one in my suppressed 10".
Was too much spring in my unsuppressed 14.5".

orionz06
01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
The buffer, spring, carrier, gas port size, and gas tube length all work together. I hate to over use the word system but it is. What change are you going for with what gun? Generally speaking you can go one buffer heavier or swap to a stiffer spring but there are many other things to consider, ammo consistency and variety being close to the top.

John Ralston
01-08-2013, 10:08 AM
+1 to the above.

Is it a good spring - probably. Are there better - yes. Will it work - who knows. I have tried all the heavy buffer, x-pwr springs, fatboy gas tubes, etc. and you can easily turn a good running AR into a choke machine. You have to try it out (MANY rounds) to see if you have a reliable weapon after the change.

Jay Cunningham
01-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Wolff offers an "extra power" buffer spring for AR rifles and carbines. Anybody have any input? Good idea, bad idea, won't matter in the slightest?

It's a good idea if you need it. Do you have any indications that you need it?

Cacafuego
01-08-2013, 01:34 PM
Do you have any indications that you need it?

Nope. Haven't even built the gun yet. The buffer spring is the last part I lack (assuming my upper is ever actually delivered :(), so I went shopping, and saw the XPs. I've had good luck with Wolff's mag springs, but I thought I'd ask some people who know more about these things than I do.

Thanks for the replies

JMS
01-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Lots of folks put things like extractor o-rings in their bolts, strictly on the basis of somebody erroneously telling them it's moar-bettah, vice having an actual symptom/malfunction to defeat....which is why the things were created in the first place. Buffers, action springs and the like are no different....

If there IS a need, Sprinco also makes blue (enhanced power) and red (EXTRA power) springs.

EDIT: Even a standard spring, though, is worth checking for correct length.

New should be about 10.75" - 11".

Replace if it measures below 10.25"