PDA

View Full Version : Info and advice wanted on drill(s)

SC_Dave
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
Hello all first post here.

I had a chance to go shoot with someone this weekend whereas I normally go alone. I was shooting the Dot Torture drill and was shooting low-left to low-center. The person I was with loaded my mag with an unknown number of rounds and watched. He told me he had loaded between 1 and 4 rounds. In actuality he loaded none. I expected at least one. As I broke the trigger it was evident that I anticipated the bang as I CLEARLY pulled the pistol down. He said, "I see the problem", he was not the only one, I saw it too and was shocked! I'm 57 and have been shooting since age 15. I was confident I was not doing what I had just seen myself do. I need some advice on how to correct this problem that everyone else had but me. :rolleyes:

I dry-fire practice because I thought it would help with this, apperantly not. I think the reason is when dry-firing I don't anticipate the bang because I know their won't be one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
David

JV_
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I would start with the wall drill:
http://pistol-training.com/drills/wall-drill

98z28
01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Some good ideas here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?t=356

JAD
01-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Dave,

Do you think you have always anticipated, or is this new? If it's new, what's changed recently -- weapon, rounds per month, per session, etc?

I have yet to go get his science firsthand, but Bill Rogers from his writings certainly seems to think people can develop a flinch at any time.

SC_Dave
01-06-2013, 06:07 PM
Dave,

Do you think you have always anticipated, or is this new? If it's new, what's changed recently -- weapon, rounds per month, per session, etc?

I have yet to go get his science firsthand, but Bill Rogers from his writings certainly seems to think people can develop a flinch at any time.

Funny that you would ask doctorpogo, I have always shot better than I seem to be shooting now. I actually do think it's new for me. I recenty moved from a G22 (40) to a G19 (9). My rounds per month have gone up.

MDS
01-06-2013, 10:07 PM
For previous and ongoing flinch issues, I have a three-pronged approach. First, daily dry-fire with emphasis on perfect trigger presses. You mention already doing dry-fire.

Second, identifying the flinch when it happens live. I have like 40 snap caps, and I'd put them in randomly throughout my mags. Humbling. But with a little practice, if I'm honest, I can pretty much tell if I'm flinching...

Finally, the best correction has been dry reps whenever I catch a live flinch. A few rounds of that has never failed to improve things measurably.

I'm no expert, just spend a lot of time working on my flinch devils....

SC_Dave
01-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Following the advise here, the Wall drill, dry firing, concentrating on smooth trigger press I dry fired until I had hot spots on my hands. I went back to the range today and shot the Dot Torture and while it was not perfect it was much, much better than when I first posted this. I'll continue to do these drills. Thanks for the help guys.

PS: The two hole you see in the top of the backer are not bullet holes. :)

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk247/SC_Dave/EB11F6CC-55AC-4870-A99D-D36C7C6D9AC0-17563-00002B11B390D29C.jpg

MDS
01-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Following the advise here, the Wall drill, dry firing, concentrating on smooth trigger press I dry fired until I had hot spots on my hands. I went back to the range today and shot the Dot Torture and while it was not perfect it was much, much better than when I first posted this. I'll continue to do these drills. Thanks for the help guys.

Nice!! :D