PDA

View Full Version : RIP John Noveske

NETim
01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130105/NEWS07/301050329/-1/NEWSMAP

Patroldog
01-05-2013, 06:04 PM
A big loss to the firearms community. I feel for his family.

JDM
01-05-2013, 06:08 PM
RIP. :(

Kyle Reese
01-05-2013, 06:41 PM
RIP.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Haraise
01-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Not wearing a seatbelt. What an embarassingly foolish way to go. Hope things continue well in his absence.

Spr1
01-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Yes, a tragic and avoidable loss.
We are diminished.

Odin Bravo One
01-05-2013, 07:30 PM
What an embarassingly foolish way to go. Hope things continue well in his absence.

Lost for words............

JHC
01-05-2013, 07:47 PM
I did not realize he was so young (36). A legend so early. RIP and condolences to his family.

Kyle Reese
01-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Not wearing a seatbelt. What an embarassingly foolish way to go. Hope things continue well in his absence.

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?:rolleyes:

Sparks2112
01-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Lost for words............

I'm sorry for your loss Sean. I believe he was a friend? Prayers to his family.

JDM
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
Let's use this thread to mourn the loss of one of the finest rifle smiths of our time.

Let's not use this thread to discuss how foolish not wearing a seatbelt is. I'm sure we all know that already.

Thanks!

Nik the Greek
01-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Truly sad. Deep sympathies to his family and friends.

MDS
01-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Sucks. I understand he brought a lot of innovations to the rifles, as well as craftsmanship and elbow grease. Is there a place to read about those innovations?

Condolences to all.

Spr1
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I remember how humble he was on the phone when he was talking about what he was working on.
Amazing man.
I have one of his uppers. It is a laser.
This reminds me of the loss of Rob Simonich. Another great human being and talent.

Cowtown44
01-05-2013, 08:14 PM
RIP, Mr. Noveske. I will think of you and you family every time I pick up my Noveske rifle.

Odin Bravo One
01-05-2013, 09:29 PM
I got the call first thing this morning, and knowing the number calling would not call at such an obscene hour to shoot the breeze, I picked it up.

John was an Army veteran. After leaving the Army, he worked at PACNOR Barrels, where he learned and perfected the art of barrel making. He took his knowledge and understanding of barrels, and set out to build the highest quality, most accurate AR15's in the world. It didn't take long before professionals began to take note of his outstanding products and the capability increase they provided. Noveske Rifleworks was born.

I took posession of my first Noveske rifle around 1999 (I think), after many long discussions around the campfire and coffee tables on what the ideal AR15 looked like. It wasn't long before a few more were added to the mix. I almost got myself kicked out of the house one Friday afternoon a few years ago for mentioning interest in an LWRC. Fortunately, I was able to back peddle fast enough and before I knew it, walked out of the shop (which at the time was a tiny shack behind the house) with 3 more guns. There was no room for such distractions as administrative work area's, so we did the paperwork on the lathe. He laughed when I finally admitted to him that I had, in fact, bought an LWRC. Of course, I told him in an email as I didn't want to get into another DI/GP argument with him..........that's like arguing golf equipment with Tiger Woods. We are all greatly out-gunned in that conversation. He left a message on my phone laughing at me for being a pansy.

The rifles came and went without much fanfare as John and his crew began to expand and improve upon their products, and more and more of John's influence could be found on his guns. I bought, sold, traded Noveske rifles almost like it was my job. I played with other rifles, I bought other rifles, I shot other rifles, but found myself time and again getting rid of them to go back to a Noveske. It became no secret that I loved the rifle John, and later on, his crew could put together. Accuracy that exceeded most shooters' abilities, combined with dead nuts reliability that became the trademark for his company.

Watching the company grow from the ground up was a text book example of what could be accomplished when one was passionate about their craft. He was also passionate about his family. When his son Abe educated Mom and Dad on the fact that he should have a dirt bike, John helped Abe design a shirt, based on a sketch Abe drew at school, which was later sold on the website. When Abe had earned enough money via T-shirt sales, he had himself a new dirt bike.

I took possession of my last Noveske, a VTAC Recce, with a few twists and turns from the spec sheet just before Christmas. In the subsequent conversations, he offered to have a onesy with the Noveske Rifleworks logo put onto DigiCam for my son when he shows up in April.

He did things the way he did them, other people's opinions be damned. I didn't always agree with everything he said, but I always respected what he had to say. As Willie Nelson said "Men that don't know him won't like him, and men that do sometimes won't know how to take him. He ain't wrong, he's just different, but his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right".

The industry will miss him.

And I'll miss my friend.

Goodbye John.........Fair winds, and following seas.

JV_
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks for that post, Sean.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

JDM
01-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Thank you for sharing that, Sean.

MEH
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
May he rest in peace. Sad day indeed.

Cookie Monster
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
RIP

Love and prayers to all his friends and family.

I'm proud to have an order in for two rifles and can't wait to shoot them, train with them, and carry a little of John with me. Never met him but heard lots of good stories, wish I had the chance.

Cookie Monster

WDW
01-05-2013, 11:35 PM
RIP
It's always sad when someone dies so suddenly & unexpectedly, especially great men like this.

SeriousStudent
01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Noveske family - there in Oregon, and his extended family around the globe.

I had the privilege of chatting with him twice on the phone. Both times, he was kind and patient with my many questions. I am sad that he was taken so early, but I am exultant that he lived, and shared, and provided the means to save the lives of so many fine people.

His weapons were used by warriors, to defend the innocent. I would be proud to have that as my epitaph. With Mr. Noveske, it sounds like it was a way of life.

Sean, thank you for increasing our knowledge of your friend. May your fond memories provide you comfort in the days ahead.

Savage Hands
01-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the story Sean, your friend will be missed by many. :(

TCinVA
01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Terrible shame.

BigT
01-06-2013, 01:17 PM
RIP A real tragedy!

John Ralston
01-06-2013, 01:25 PM
John was an Army veteran. After leaving the Army, he worked at PACNOR Barrels, where he learned and perfected the art of barrel making. He took his knowledge and understanding of barrels, and set out to build the highest quality, most accurate AR15's in the world. It didn't take long before professionals began to take note of his outstanding products and the capability increase they provided. Noveske Rifleworks was born.

To say he was respected in the industry would be a great understatement. A great tribute to his barrel making skills is the fact that when you try to buy an AR-15 barrel from the Pac-Nor web site, they re-direct you to the Noveske web site. Obviously they respected his abilities.

SeriousStudent
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
A scholarship fund has been established for the Noveske children. Money is tight for a lot of folks, but I am sure any donation would be considered a thoughtful gesture.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2013/01/07/noveske-memorial-fund-established/

Mods/staff, please let me know if I am inadvertently violating a forum policy with my post.

Zhurdan
01-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Amazing folks, the team at Noveske. No doubt because of their leader and friend.

Funny story about the Noveske's. I ordered my 10.5" upper from them back when they sold direct, without sights. The rifle showed up with sights on them which I didn't pay for. So, I called them up to see how to rectify the issue. The gal that answered the phone was kinda flabbergasted that someone would call to point out that there was a set of $200+ sights on the rifle that someone didn't pay for. She got off the phone for a minute, came back and offered to sell them to me for a deep discount rather than send a call tag. Of course, I bought them. She thanked me many times and went on about how that was a big mistake and how sorry she was. I thought the issue was closed and thanked her for the nice service and offer of a discount on the sights.

About a week later, a package shows up at my door from Noveske. I had not ordered anything further at that point, but it was addressed to me so I opened it. Inside were a Noveske hat, an endplate and a note saying thank you for being honest.

I still have all three.

Odin Bravo One
01-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Sheri..........she is awesome............

GJM
01-16-2013, 08:28 AM
[mod addition]NSFW[/mod addition]

She has just posted a short video message about John and future plans -- definitely worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmD8eyy_lZo

Erik
01-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Awesome. I did not know John Noveske, and I never had a chance to speak with him, but that video makes me truly regret that.

GJM
01-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Years ago, I had a pre-ban 16 inch SR-25 that was unreliable. Sent it to him, and he built a custom, LW 18 inch upper for him that was amazing. Stupid me, I sold it a few years back.

SamuelBLong
01-16-2013, 03:29 PM
John was a helluva guy. He will be missed.

I remember when I asked him to make me one of his 17-4 extreme duty barrels after he made the decision to stop doing them. After much begging and pleading, he obliged. A few weeks later and numerous broken tool bits and a blank or two scrapped, I got it in the mail and dropped it on my gun, never looking back. Now that I think about it, he probably either broke even, or had a loss considering the work and materials that went into it.

1000's of rounds later, that barrel is still as sharp and as accurate as it was on day 1, despite plenty of full auto wear and tear.

And no I wont be selling it... ever.

Cowtown44
01-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Sheri..........she is awesome............

Ditto. Shot next to her last October at Thunder Ranch. The lady can shoot!

Cowtown44
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
He personally made sure our two Noveske/Thunder Ranch rifles were CA compliant. Pain in the ass, but he delivered. Thanks.