PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Experts: Shaky Hands

Nick107
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I’ve been looking to ask this question for some time, and with the wealth of information on this forum I hope this can lead to a good discussion.

I was diagnosed at an early age with Essential Tremors...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/essential-tremor/DS00367 It’s not a life threatening disease, but I knew early in life, I would never make a good surgeon. There are obviously things I control that have helped to ease my shaky hands (no caffeine, and eat before I go shooting). For the instructors on this forum, have you had anyone in class with something similar? Maybe even the old timers?

I’ve been shooting for a few years, and with a rifle, I’m mostly fine (qualified expert in the army) But, I’ve avoided handgun classes for the obvious reasons. I want to continue challenging myself, but I’m concerned especially with Strong hand or Weak hand only drills that seem to be a part of most classes I have been researching.

Thanks in advance. Let me know if something was unclear, or if this is the wrong area to post.

Occam's Razor
04-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Nick - As an instructor myself, I don't think there is any instructor out there, worth his salt, who wouldn't be willing to help you find some solutions to your issues. Anyone who has ever been involved in an armed confrontation can attest to the fact that with the adrenaline dump that takes place, everyone's hands shake to a degree. Also, in a defensive situation the distances involved are going to dictate your actions. Historically, these are very short distances so your situation would probably not be as big an issue as you might think, since what you are really concerned with are defensive effective hits. There are probably some folks on the forum in your area who can make some educated suggestions on who to check out.

Odin Bravo One
04-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Nick,

do not get discouraged by SHO or WHO shooting on an instructor's curriculum. I think you will find that while attending any course of intruction you will find a number of people with various types of physical ailments that prevent or limit their ability to participate exactly as a particular drill or exercise is designed. A professional instructor will work with you to find alternative methods that work for you. That is why you are paying them for their expertise.

I have seen various instructors demonstrate, or have a student demonstrate a particular drill/exercise where the shooter intentionally shakes the pistol in an exaggerated manner. The point of the drill is to demonstrate that you do not have to be perfectly still, nor do your sights have to stay perfectly aligned in order to maintain an acceptable standard of accuracy. While not a drill to practice everyday, or even very often, or at all necessarily........it's point is to show that it can be done.

The point of training, especially with limitations is not to exploit the limitations, but to minimize them by finding ways to be successful. Are you going to break the Olympic record for bullseye shooting? Probably not. But given proper instruction, and practice, you can minimize your limitations and still have a measure of success.

jslaker
04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
The point of training, especially with limitations is not to exploit the limitations, but to minimize them by finding ways to be successful.

This is great advice and absolutely a great way of looking at things.

rsa-otc
04-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Dude your wobble zone is going to be a little larger that the average Joe is all. If you are uncomfortable going to a group class why don't you pickup some private lessons until you are comfortable and then take a class.

41magfan
04-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Dude your wobble zone is going to be a little larger that the average Joe is all. If you are uncomfortable going to a group class why don't you pickup some private lessons until you are comfortable and then take a class.

As already stated, your wobble zone may appear to be exaggerated (compared to "normal" - whatever that is) but it won't keep you from hitting a practical size target for purposes of defensive use. You may not win a trophy at Camp Perry, but you'll certainly be able to shoot defensively.

In this context, it's all about trigger manipulation - not wobble.

rsa-otc
04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Dude; until you get some hands on instruction with an instructor that is present while you shoot it could be managing your wobble zone, trigger control or a multitude of things. For us to diagnose over the net we can only give suggestions and you may (as in this case) receive differing advice. Either or both of us may be correct.

The thing is don't let that discourage you. Keep up the effort and you will prevail.

Nick107
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the reality check. The mindset of this forum is outstanding.

EddiePernigotti
12-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Hey nick I have the same problem with essential tremors..
I have shot a glock 17 a couple times with little success I am wondering from the experts if a heavier gun may help me be a bit steadier. And if so what kind, I would like to stay with a 9mm

Thanks

Dropkick
12-02-2011, 08:42 AM
I have shot a glock 17 a couple times with little success I am wondering from the experts if a heavier gun may help me be a bit steadier. And if so what kind, I would like to stay with a 9mm

Thanks

You could try a Berreta 92 or a Browning HiPower. Both are 9mm and full metal frames.

Wondering Beard
12-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks

Wouldn't the extra weight add to the tremors?

NextGhost
12-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Nick, my Dad has a pretty severe form of this, to the point where he can't do household chores that involve using a screwdriver. Up until his eyes got so bad he had a tough time with the sights, he had issues shooting with my Glock 19, but could shoot his Colt Anaconda like nobody's business. This may not hold true for you, but for him, the heavier the pistol, the easier it was for him to shoot.

chaotik
12-03-2011, 02:26 PM
You may have already tried this, but sometimes individuals with benign essential tremors respond well to low dose beta blockade, such as a small dose of short acting propranolol 10 mg. If you've never tried this approach then you could discuss this option with your physician. Just a thought....

Force Majeure
12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I have a friend with this condition who wants to learn to shoot. I told him he is really going to have to learn to be comfortable with his wobble zone.

Len McM
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Having recently been diagnosed w/ essential tremor myself I now don't feel as bad about the 'bouncing ball' I get w/a Crimson Trace grip. When my wife asked how my dr's. appointment went I told her that,"The doctor told me to stop pointing at stuff." Kind of funny, until you realize that pointing a handgun is basically still 'pointing'. Aside from tremors, I can't believe how grip strength is affected as well. Not that mine is anything abnormal, but not what it once was, especially noticeable when holding a pistol out for an extended period of time.

I'm going to see how big a difference a single action trigger might make vs a DA/SA, or DAO trigger. I'm also going to see if there is a great difference for me now in caliber selection.

I haven't shot all winter, so going back to the range will be great fun.

tommyboy1967
07-01-2014, 06:32 AM
Will changing my shooting stance help with the shaking?

nycnoob
07-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Just a word of encouragement. Last year I had the pleasure of shooting with a gentleman who has Parkinson's. Although it looked like it took great effort for him to get off his shoots, he really was an excellent shooter.

robhic
07-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Don't know if medication(s) are on your possibility list, but I have a female friend who has shaky hands. I let her play with my .22 pistols for fun and she takes Klonopin (Clonazepam) in the Valium family for tremors. Not a lot, like 1 mg or even 1/2 mg but it works for her. You might check with your doctor if this might have some benefit for you. It's cheap and seems effective for my friend.