PDA

View Full Version : Taking the bull by the horns.....LITERALLY.

SouthNarc
04-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Me vs. Rob Pincus. As much as it galls me.....Pinky won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOqPSwzkFI

TCinVA
04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I was always taught it was impolite to play with your food...

SouthNarc
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah you would think that bull would know better TC.

KentF
04-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks for posting.

LittleLebowski
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
My cousin is a professional rodeo cowboy but not a bull rider; he's a bulldogger or steer wrestler. Big dude.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2961857053_bc29a80414.jpg

turbolag23
04-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Would you do it again?

rsa-otc
04-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Dude;

Definitely a case of having too much time on your hands. And you two paid for the pleasure!

Grew up in the farm country in northern NJ. Have been chased by bulls but I have never attempted to ride one. All ways felt that if I needed to get out of the way I wanted to start on my feet and not on my back. LOL

TCinVA
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
TC's encounter with a bull story:

A friend of mine used to live on a farm where he raised cattle (mostly black Angus) as a side project. Every year he had to load cattle to take them to market. One year it came time to load Sam, the 3/4 ton bull who was around for stud services. The plan was to load the small barn with sweet corn (Sam's favorite) and have the trailer to load him arrive while he was busy eating. That would assure he was docile and easy to load.

The trailer was late. Sam ran out of sweet corn and suddenly realized he was enclosed in a small barn. He started smashing the place up looking for a way out. The barn had one of those steel tube gates that was kept closed with a length of chain. My friend had fortunately re-enforced the hinges of the gate as well as the bit of the barn the chain was attached to. There was still enough slack left in the chain for Sam to put a portion of his head between the gate and the doorway where the gate closed...and with that little bit of space he wedged his head in there and with one quick flick of his head he bent the bottom corner of that gate up and out of the way.

My friend, who was on a 4 wheeler, noticed this and ran at the gap full-tilt on the Yamaha, pinning the bull's head against the side of the barn. The bull flicked his head and that shoved the 500 pound ATV + 200 pound rider back a few yards. My friend rammed the gate itself to bend the steel back into position.

Not long after he did that, I heard what sounded like hooves clawing at the floor of the barn for traction...and then I saw 1/2 of a big black Angus bull emerge from over the top of the gate. Sam the bull had apparently decided to try a full-on Free Willy to escape the barn. He nearly made it. He hung up about 1/2 way on the gate, collapsing it in the middle.

So now his front hooves are on the ATV, which now has its rear wheels off the ground. The bull is trying to get some sort of traction with his rear hooves. My friend who is still ON the ATV, begins to punch this bull with his fist.

At that point the other folks who were there to assist in the effort got out of the pen. You wouldn't think that a bunch of typically overweight middle-aged white guys could leap a 6 foot fence in a single bound, but with the right motivation they did just that. So now inside the pen it's me and my friend...him swinging his fists, me drawing the S&W 629 on my hip (a safety precaution that had been laughed at prior to this event...never since) and maneuvering to take a clean shot at the bull's head.

I figured I would either have to kill the bull or watch my friend get stomped into a wet spot by a pissed off bull because the bull wasn't likely to calm down anytime soon and my friend is too damned stubborn to know when to quit. Of course, he didn't want me to shoot the bull.

After a few moments of looking through the sights of my .44 at this mexican standoff, the bull slid backwards off of the now horribly disfigured gate...and began smashing everything he could in earnest. Someone had the idea of putting a cow in with him to calm him down. While he was at the far corner of the barn trying to smash through the wall, we pitchforked a cow in there with him. He heard the commotion and came running, saw the cow, and instantly rammed her. As she stood back up he put his head underneath her belly and flicked his head up...flipping a 1,000 pound cow in the air like you or I would flip a quarter. She literally bounced off the ceiling of the barn (about 10 feet) and smacked to the ground with a loud, furry thud.

...so if anyone ever wonders why you'll never see me attempt to ride a bull, there you go. I put that on my bucket list. You know, the things that if you attempt they'll likely have to bury you in a bucket.

It's somewhere on my list between traveling to Dam Neck and picking a gunfight and trying to sucker punch Chuck Liddell.

SouthNarc
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Would you do it again?

YES! I gotta' say I haven't had a fear reflex like that in a long time.:cool:

It's somewhere on my list between traveling to Dam Neck and picking a gunfight and trying to sucker punch Chuck Liddell

THAT is some funny shit TC!

rsa-otc
04-08-2011, 10:45 AM
TC; You Sir have lived an interesting life.

MTechnik
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Wow, TC. Wow.

Wheeler
04-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I tried a mechanical bull after a few beers and some ego stroking one night. After lasting a full 1 1/2 second in the proper upright position, somehow I ended up riding the bull sideways, hand still in the air. That was about the time I remembered I was supposed to squeeze with my legs...

No freaking way I'd try the real thing. I've been around enough cattle to realize if that damn bull wants to hurt me, ain't no fence or some crazier than me guy dressed up as a clown gonna stop him from doing it.

I gotta give you props for trying it SN.

mnealtx
04-09-2011, 05:31 AM
In my youth, I rode a bull....once.

Ended up with 3 broken ribs - I'm not interested in trying it again.

BigT
04-10-2011, 04:27 AM
The only way I'm prepared to approach a bovine is if it's near some sort of potato based foodstuff. Rare with some black pepper.

Rob Pincus
04-21-2011, 11:15 AM
I still have a bruise.

Good Times.

:-)

KentF
04-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Welcome to the forums Rob!

Slavex
04-21-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm going to assume copius ammounts of alcohol were consumed prior to this idea originating? or maybe it was more of a "Hey dude, hold my beer and watch this!" type thing? regardless, it takes huge balls to do that. I used to ride for fun as a kid on the farm, bulls, cows, lamas and even 1200lb hogs. Bulls were the worst by far, and they hold grudges. nothing like hiking across the field and have the bull spot you. run like the wind and get to the tree line. you'd think we'd learn eh? well we did, the day the bull followed us in, slipped on a small slope and landed on an old hardwood stump crushing his ribs and breaking his front shoulder. Ran as fast as we could to come back and put the poor guy down. I felt like shit for years for that. In the barn he was awesome, you could walk right up to him and rope him. But out in the field, if you'd ridden him lately, he liked to put the run on you.

LittleLebowski
04-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I still have a bruise.

Good Times.

:-)

Welcome aboard.