PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Lower Receiver Grip Screw

TGS
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
So, I've got this Rainier Arms lower with a Magpul MOE that came installed on it from RA. I'm trying to get the grips flathead screw loosened, but this sucker is TIGHT. Rainier Arms told me that it comes with loctite on it, but it shouldn't be anything challenging.

For the life of me, I can not get this thing free. Is there some specific wrench that is to be used? I've tried 3 different screw drivers without luck.

SeriousStudent
01-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Heat will break Loctite loose. I would use low heat on a heat gun, or a hair dryer on high. I have also had good luck with a few drops of Kroil overnight.

As I am sure you already understand, stripping that screw hole is not a good plan.

I have a great big Craftsman screwdriver I got on sale at Sears, just for that. The business end is about 3/8" wide, and works really well.

Good luck!

TGS
01-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Heat will break Loctite loose. I would use low heat on a heat gun, or a hair dryer on high. I have also had good luck with a few drops of Kroil overnight.

As I am sure you already understand, stripping that screw hole is not a good plan.

I have a great big Craftsman screwdriver I got on sale at Sears, just for that. The business end is about 3/8" wide, and works really well.

Good luck!

I just heated it up to the point that the entire lower was hot. The area around the screw was uncomfortable to the touch, ditto the head of the screw.

No dice.

I'm thinking I'll have to get some type of monkey wrench and/or a hydraulic press. This is effing ridiculous. I just want to put on my BCM grip.

MikeyC
01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Acetone should take it right out.

LOKNLOD
01-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Heres how i would try it: Put the lower in a vice, or other method of securing it, with the grip pointing up. Get a large flathead screwdriver, as big as you can, and use your palm to apply pressure without restricting rotation. Then use a set of channel locks or vice grips on the screwdriver handle to rotate it.

SeriousStudent
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Dang! That is really in there. Acetone makes sense. Steal some of your daughter's nail polish remover, it's usually acetone.

TGS
01-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Heres how i would try it: Put the lower in a vice, or other method of securing it, with the grip pointing up. Get a large flathead screwdriver, as big as you can, and use your palm to apply pressure without restricting rotation. Then use a set of channel locks or vice grips on the screwdriver handle to rotate it.

Har har har! This worked. Even still, I was bearing down with all of my weight and strength. Note to others: if you buy a Magpul grip, remove the loctite from the screw before installing!

Thanks man!

LOKNLOD
01-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Har har har! This worked. Even still, I was bearing down with all of my weight and strength. Note to others: if you buy a Magpul grip, remove the loctite from the screw before installing!

Thanks man!

Victory!!

rob_s
01-04-2013, 04:51 AM
They may have changed it recently, but yes the thread locker on the Magpul grip screws was a major pain in the ass. When I install them I heat it up with a cigar lighter (torch style) and then wipe most of it off on a rag.