PDA

View Full Version : I Love Reasonable Dialogue

NETim
01-02-2013, 05:14 PM
An impressive display of tolerance.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312300033&gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

The thing missing from the debate so far is anger — anger that we live in a society where something like the Sandy Hook Elementary massacre can happen and our main concern is not offending the NRA’s sensibilities.

That’s obscene. Here, then, is my “madder-than-hell-and-I’m-not-going-to-take-it-anymore” program for ending gun violence in America:

• Repeal the Second Amendment, the part about guns anyway. It’s badly written, confusing and more trouble than it’s worth. It offers an absolute right to gun ownership, but it puts it in the context of the need for a “well-regulated militia.” We don’t make our militia bring their own guns to battles. And surely the Founders couldn’t have envisioned weapons like those used in the Newtown shooting when they guaranteed gun rights. Owning a gun should be a privilege, not a right.

• Declare the NRA a terrorist organization and make membership illegal. Hey! We did it to the Communist Party, and the NRA has led to the deaths of more of us than American Commies ever did. (I would also raze the organization’s headquarters, clear the rubble and salt the earth, but that’s optional.) Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony. If some people refused to give up their guns, that “prying the guns from their cold, dead hands” thing works for me.

• Then I would tie Mitch McConnell and John Boehner, our esteemed Republican leaders, to the back of a Chevy pickup truck and drag them around a parking lot until they saw the light on gun control.

Molon Labe Mr. Kaul. Molon Labe.

orionz06
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Make ownership of unlicensed assault rifles a felony.

Wait...

JodyH
01-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Just one slap with the sap... please... I promise not to kill him.

Dagga Boy
01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Somebody sounds like a bitter communist........Molon Labe motherf#cker.

TGS
01-02-2013, 05:30 PM

Wait...

Exactly the word that came out of my mouth......

Just one slap with the sap... please... I promise not to kill him.

I think I'll side with you this time on the liberal application of a sap.

G60
01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Ha ha that guy's gonna give himself another heart attack.

Chemsoldier
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
The Communist Party is not illegal and the party was not technically made illegal at any point (though it was functionally illegal for periods of time when the government was really targeting their members and even then they couldnt target all of them).

This targeting was done under the auspices of it being illegal to advocate the violent overthrow of the government. Some did. Additionally some were Soviet agents and some top party members were paid by the KGB. There is no earthly way that set of circumstances could be applied to the entity that trains thousands of law enforcement and military personnel every year. What a hateful little moron.

G60
01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Todd Hartley of the Aspen Times proves the adage "we have the facts on our side, and they have penis jokes..."

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/20121228/COLUMN/121229911

"Women who own assault weapons have tiny penises...owning lots of guns or pseudo-machine guns means you have a tiny wiener and you're incredibly self-conscious about it. That's the plain and simple truth, even if it's not true...when gun owners talk about their 9 mms, they're actually referring to their genitalia and not the caliber of their weapons..."

I'm not upset at people who write the things we're compiling in this thread, I actually feel sorry for them.

Le Français
01-02-2013, 07:21 PM
And what's all this talk of "...should be a privilege, not a right"?

It's kind of disturbing that some people view the existence of rights as subject to the will of the majority.

RoyGBiv
01-02-2013, 09:52 PM
And what's all this talk of "...should be a privilege, not a right"?

It's kind of disturbing that some people view the existence of rights as subject to the will of the majority.

Benjamin Franklin foresaw this... as did others..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

From Franklin..
This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.... Undated...

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution, with all its faults, — if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of government but what may be a blessing to the people, if well administered; and I believe, farther, that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic government, being incapable of any other..... Speech to the Constitutional Convention (September 17, 1787)

john556
01-02-2013, 10:11 PM
I have been reading this site for years now and have been the beneficiary of countless posts filled with all kinds of hard earned, valuable insights.

Somebody sounds like a bitter communist........Molon Labe mothf#cker.

That is my favorite post ever. Thank you.

NETim
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
I have been reading this site for years now and have been the beneficiary of countless posts filled with all kinds of hard earned, valuable insights.

That is my favorite post ever. Thank you.

Yep, that's a top ten for sure. :)

Tamara
01-03-2013, 10:11 AM

Wait...

Golf clap!

Wish I'd typed that. :D

G60
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
In his piece "The NRA claims the AR-15 is useful for hunting and home defense. Not exactly." This seasoned hunter, ballistics expert & esteemed home defense guru at Slate debunks some myths about the AR-15 platform.

"When someone like Adam Lanza uses it to take out 26 people in a matter of minutes, he’s committing a crime, but he isn’t misusing the rifle. That’s exactly what it was engineered to do." among other gems and contradictions...
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/01/02/gun_control_ar_15_rifle_the_nra_claims_the_ar_15_r ifle_is_for_hunting_and.html
His credentials:
"I generally consider myself a Second Amendment supporter, and I haven’t yet decided where I stand on post-Newtown gun control. I would own a gun if New York City laws didn’t make it extremely difficult to do so. But I nevertheless find Keene’s arguments disingenuous. It’s odd to cite hunting and home defense as reasons to keep selling a rifle that’s not particularly well suited, and definitely not necessary, for either. Bolt-action rifles and shotguns can also be used for hunting and home defense."

LHS
01-03-2013, 11:44 PM
In his piece "The NRA claims the AR-15 is useful for hunting and home defense. Not exactly." This seasoned hunter, ballistics expert & esteemed home defense guru at Slate debunks some myths about the AR-15 platform.

"When someone like Adam Lanza uses it to take out 26 people in a matter of minutes, he’s committing a crime, but he isn’t misusing the rifle. That’s exactly what it was engineered to do." among other gems and contradictions...
http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/01/02/gun_control_ar_15_rifle_the_nra_claims_the_ar_15_r ifle_is_for_hunting_and.html
His credentials:
"I generally consider myself a Second Amendment supporter, and I haven’t yet decided where I stand on post-Newtown gun control. I would own a gun if New York City laws didn’t make it extremely difficult to do so. But I nevertheless find Keene’s arguments disingenuous. It’s odd to cite hunting and home defense as reasons to keep selling a rifle that’s not particularly well suited, and definitely not necessary, for either. Bolt-action rifles and shotguns can also be used for hunting and home defense."

Honestly, for Slate, that's as pro-gun as it gets. The guy is still an uninformed tool, with just enough knowledge and internet mythology to get everything wrong, but at least he's acknowledging that self-defense is a legitimate use of a weapon. He's probably the type who could be converted with proper arguments and evidence, unlike most of his coworkers there (I mean, they feature Elliot "Never met a hooker I didn't like" Spitzer, and some other true nutjobs).

Maple Syrup Actual
01-03-2013, 11:46 PM

His credentials:
The only thing I thought was very worthwhile about his comment was that I had a brief moment when I thought he'd said "post-Newtonian gun control" and I immediately tried to imagine a form or relativistic gun control in which we enacted legislation based on bullet velocities, listed in percentage of speed of light, and were required to calculate the degree to which time would be passing more slowly for them.

Unfortunately that's not what he said, so there weren't really any redeeming qualities after all.

Tamara
01-04-2013, 06:36 AM

I don't live in New York City, and I actually do own considerably more bolt-action rifles than you own fingers and toes, Mr. Justin Peters, most of them expressly designed for killing human beings, and I can tell you that I can imagine few things that would suck more than having to defend one's self at in-the-living-room range with a bolt-action rifle. You'd best hope that the first shot does the trick and that there's only one bad guy...

BLR
01-04-2013, 07:32 AM
A question - has anyone sued the Aurora theater for not providing protection to it's customers when it prevented it customers from protecting themselves?

Would seem to be a logical first step for any pro-gun people in the theater.

Tamara
01-04-2013, 07:33 AM
A question - has anyone sued the Aurora theater for not providing protection to it's customers when it prevented it customers from protecting themselves?

Yes. There are suits in progress (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22073010/judge-merges-lawsuits-against-theater-chain-aurora-shootings).

NETim
01-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Speaking of Aurora, I'm probably the last person in America to have read this article but I'll toss it out there anyway:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/10/did-colorado-shooter-single-out-cinemark-theater/

fuse
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Somebody sounds like a bitter communist........Molon Labe motherf#cker.

I read this internally with my Samuel L. Jackson voice.

orionz06
01-04-2013, 02:35 PM

I did when I read this but I think Morgan Freeman says it in a more pleasing tone.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't kill poor little innocent animals that have never hurt anyone. There is no Constitutional right to kill little furry animals. I do have a Constitutional right to protect myself from predatory evil human animals. I use guns to prevent bad humans from harming me or others. Sometimes, there are lots of bad people, and I need to have the ability to withstand violence from a group of criminals bent on my destruction. In this case, a standard capacity magazine for the firearm I have hopefully correctly chosen to defend myself is a good thing. I will still defend hunters to do what they do if they are doing it legally, but I would sure appreciate the same consideration. I will also defend people's right to be helpless if they choose to and will be happy to respect them and not defend them if guns are offensive to them.

Dagga Boy
01-04-2013, 03:04 PM

Try it again as either Tom Selleck or Clint Eastwood...........that's how I typed it.:cool:

David Armstrong
01-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Would seem to be a logical first step for any pro-gun people in the theater.
Doubt you would have a case on that basis. The argument is and has been that if you think it is that dangerous you shouldn't go there in the first place, and if you do go there you do so voluntarily and with full knowledge of the danger. So the suit will more likely be a broader "failure to protect from known danger" as opposed to a narrow "prevented customers from providing own protection". There is one interesting issue, IMO, that might open that door, however. It is my understanding that this was the only theater in the area that prohibited lawful CCW. If so there might be an opening. Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Suvorov
01-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Um, for the tool at Slate I wonder if he thinks that Herr Mauser and Mr Sharps and Mr Spencer invented their Bolt Action, Breach Block, and Lever Action rifles for hunting game?

Pretty much every modern rifle used in the hunting fields has its origins on the battlefield. The AR is no different.

Of course all of you all ready know that :o

TGS
01-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Um, for the tool at Slate I wonder if he thinks that Herr Mauser and Mr Sharps and Mr Spencer invented their Bolt Action, Breach Block, and Lever Action rifles for hunting game?

Pretty much every modern rifle used in the hunting fields has its origins on the battlefield. The AR is no different.

Of course all of you all ready know that :o

We also need to ban all modern forms of medicine. It's largely influenced by battlefield casualty care. Thus, it's assault medicine.

And, over 98,000 people die every year from assault medicine, (http://www.justice.org/resources/Medical_Negligence_Primer.pdf) making it the 6th leading cause of death in the United States! Ban assault medicine now!

MDS
01-04-2013, 07:10 PM
We also need to ban all modern forms of medicine. It's largely influenced by battlefield casualty care. Thus, it's assault medicine.

And, over 98,000 people die every year from assault medicine, (http://www.justice.org/resources/Medical_Negligence_Primer.pdf) making it the 6th leading cause of death in the United States! Ban assault medicine now!

I mean, really! Nobody needs to stop that much bleeding in that short a time.

Suvorov
01-04-2013, 07:32 PM

And I know I'm beating poor ole Bessy with a whip, but given that it was typical for a decently trained British soldier to get off 30 well placed shots in 1 minute with his Enfield, does our Slate Tool really think those poor kids would have been any better off had it not been an AR there? It is so frustrating when such ignorant people are given soap boxes within the media to fill the other uneducated with so much misinformation. :mad:

Chuck Haggard
01-05-2013, 12:50 AM
And I know I'm beating poor ole Bessy with a whip, but given that it was typical for a decently trained British soldier to get off 30 well placed shots in 1 minute with his Enfield, does our Slate Tool really think those poor kids would have been any better off had it not been an AR there? It is so frustrating when such ignorant people are given soap boxes within the media to fill the other uneducated with so much misinformation. :mad:

In the Sandy Hook case they were small children, he could have done as much damage with a ball bat.

SeriousStudent
01-05-2013, 12:53 AM
Try it again as either Tom Selleck or Clint Eastwood...........that's how I typed it.:cool:

Selleck. Mustache, NRA Life Member, and all those cowboy movies with real firearms.

BLR
01-05-2013, 08:15 AM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/texas-democratic-party-leader-calls-for-murder-of-nra-members/

SeriousStudent
01-05-2013, 10:19 AM
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/12/texas-democratic-party-leader-calls-for-murder-of-nra-members/

The apple does not fall far from the tree. Look at the other guy in that photo. Ronnie Earle is one of the most anti-gun politicians in our state. That may not be saying much, compared to Schumer or Feinstein. He used to be the DA for Travis County, where Austin Texas is. He has made it his mission in life to file cases against gun owners and his political opponents.

He ran for Lt. Governor a few years ago, and got the crap kicked out of him. I helped with the beating.

Yeah, Carburruvius and Earle. Birds of a feather. Remember that, the next time you want to put a Democrat into state office here in Texas. The GOP is no where near being perfect down here, not by a long shot. But at least they do stuff like this:

http://www.accuracy1stdg.com/content/gallery/wd5wi6w3/full/Todd%20Hodnett-2.jpg

I'm not Perry's biggest fan, by any stretch of the imagination. But I'd like to find a governor that does more for the Second Amendment than him.

Sorry, elected politicians calling for a pogrom to murder their fellow citizens gets me riled.