PDA

View Full Version : Looking under the hood of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee

pangloss
01-02-2013, 01:25 AM
If I understand things correctly, any gun control or crime bill moving through the U.S. House of Representatives will likely start in the judiciary committee, specifically the subcommittee on crime, terrorism, and homeland security. (However, it is possible for a bill to be referred to more than one committee.) Tonight I checked to see what I could learn about the committee chairs. Thank God that they are all rated A or A+ by the NRA. Rep. Lamar Smith of TX 21st district is the chairman of the judiciary committee. NRA gives him a A+. The crime subcommitte chairman is Jim Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin 5th district (NRA rating of A), and the co-chairman is Louis Gohmert of TX 1st district (NRA rating of A). We should write these guys and let them know that we appreciate their past support of gun owners' rights and urge them to remain true to these principles during the coming congress.

NOTE: I am posting this thread on other forums in hopes of getting as many people to write politicians. I reviewed the forum rules, and I don't think such an action is an infraction, but I apologize in advance if it is.

JHC
01-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Yes I am counting on Lamar Smith and that committee to limit the damage. I think the House has a pretty good chance of holding this off as passions cool. I wouldn't be surprised by new angles on mental health related legislation which is fraught with its own dangers.

TCinVA
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Nothing wrong with directed advocacy in favor of protecting firearms freedoms. Bob Goodlatte is also fairly important in the potential path of gun control through the house, and I believe he's going to be reliable in his opposition to any new control bill.

NickA
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Posted it in another thread, but I recently heard a radio interview with Lamar Smith where he said he would not even allow any AWB bill out of the committee.
ETA : this should be it, the interview starts a little less than halfway through IIRC.
http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/podcast/single_page.html?more_page=1&podcast=joepagsshow&selected_podcast=12-19-12_joe_pags_HR1_1355966807_10875.mp3

NickA
01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Nothing wrong with directed advocacy in favor of protecting firearms freedoms. Bob Goodlatte is also fairly important in the potential path of gun control through the house, and I believe he's going to be reliable in his opposition to any new control bill.

Glad to hear that, since he's the new Chairman.