PDA

View Full Version : Surprise, surprise the woman who pushed a man into an oncoming subway train....

BaiHu
12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
had a huge history of run ins with LE and was diagnosed as a schizophrenic:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324274404578211732779311530.html?m od=WSJ_hps_MIDDLE_Video_Third

John Ralston
12-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Ban Subways now!

Kyle Reese
12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Ban Subways now!

Background checks for people wanting to ride the subway is a reasonable and common sense compromise. If only we could find a way to close the infamous subway loophole....

JV_
12-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Background checks for people wanting to ride the subway
DHS is probably listening...

Shellback
12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Ban Subways now!

Better hope Jared's not listening.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_B1LlYh6iKqs/TBCaYnzgE0I/AAAAAAAABrw/V3fSL9SAR4M/s1600/jared-subway.jpg

SecondsCount
12-31-2012, 12:20 PM
Better hope Jared's not listening.

:D

CCT125US
12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
If only they limited the passenger capacity.

secondstoryguy
12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
If only they limited the passenger capacity.

LOL!

TCinVA
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
Bloomberg's subway has killed more people this year than all my guns put together ever have.

...except for maybe my Nagant. No idea how many political prisoners some drunk Russian conscript whacked with that.

cdunn
12-31-2012, 01:44 PM
police at fault for not doing something before or mothers at fault?

LHS
12-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Bloomberg's subway has killed more people this year than all my guns put together ever have.

...except for maybe my Nagant. No idea how many political prisoners some drunk Russian conscript whacked with that.

Brilliant.

SeriousStudent
12-31-2012, 03:19 PM
I think a reasonable compromise would be if Viceroy Bloomberg banned all subways larger than 16 ounces.

LOKNLOD
12-31-2012, 03:30 PM
I've never been I a subway, and would like to continue that streak, but how is it possible to just shove someone in front of a train like that? I can't build a set of rarely-used steps in a remote, secured location accessed only by trained professionals without hand rails, toe boards, and/or fall protection.

Do NY subways really have folks just milling about next to a big ledge with trains zinging by with no railing? A city where people can't be trusted to freely choose what size drink they want, but apparently it's a piece of cake to push folks in front of moving trains?

jon volk
12-31-2012, 03:43 PM
http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item21175/nyc-subway.jpg

Zhurdan
12-31-2012, 03:49 PM
I've never been I a subway, and would like to continue that streak, but how is it possible to just shove someone in front of a train like that? I can't build a set of rarely-used steps in a remote, secured location accessed only by trained professionals without hand rails, toe boards, and/or fall protection.

Do NY subways really have folks just milling about next to a big ledge with trains zinging by with no railing? A city where people can't be trusted to freely choose what size drink they want, but apparently it's a piece of cake to push folks in front of moving trains?

Kinda funny, ain't it? Wanna build a deck? Permits and engineers required. Wanna add an extension to your garage? Permits and engineers required.

Wanna stand 12" from a multi-ton train and a hot electrical rail? Please insert credit card for Multipass, Leeloo Dallas.

BaiHu
12-31-2012, 04:14 PM

There is no way to stop someone from pushing you in front of a train unless you are vigilant. New Yorkers for all their 'tuff guy' attitude have some of the worst situational awareness that I've seen in a group of people next to teeny boppers running with their iPods blasting so loud that I hear them coming before they see me.

This is what a typical platform looks like:

http://nyportraits.blogspot.com/2008/11/subway-platform-59th-street.html

Yup, it's that easy, which is why when I'm in the city, I'm behind everyone else until the train comes to a stop.

Wendell
12-31-2012, 06:37 PM
All this prejudice against mental illnesses. :rolleyes: Doesn't everyone know the current (PC) doctrine? "Patients with schzophrenia are usually harmless."

tremiles
12-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but every time I've ridden a Monorail at WDW, I've had to pass through a 30 or 36" gate that opened only after the train came to a complete stop, with the doors aligned to the gate openings. If there are no gates in the NY subway because of a crush hazard, wouldn't hundreds of folks be exploding onto the tracks everyday? Or is there a line that New Yorkers draw in personal freedoms that says it's OK for the government to restrict soda, but not to restrict nonvoluntary subway platform ejection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TGS
12-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but every time I've ridden a Monorail at WDW, I've had to pass through a 30 or 36" gate that opened only after the train came to a complete stop, with the doors aligned to the gate openings. If there are no gates in the NY subway because of a crush hazard, wouldn't hundreds of folks be exploding onto the tracks everyday? Or is there a line that New Yorkers draw in personal freedoms that says it's OK for the government to restrict soda, but not to restrict nonvoluntary subway platform ejection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I've never seen a gate to actually step onto a train/subway, either in this country (San Diego, Philly, NJ, NYC, DC metro) or London. Sounds smart, though.

Mind the gap,

TGS

Palmguy
12-31-2012, 07:30 PM
I've never seen a gate to actually step onto a train/subway, either in this country (San Diego, Philly, NJ, NYC, DC metro) or London. Sounds smart, though.

Mind the gap,

TGS

I'm not often in an area with trains/subways...just not common in the south; but that said, the Atlanta airport relies on a subway style train to move you around between terminals and the tracks are completely sealed off to passengers. There are doors in the wall that coincide with doors on the train, so there is zero risk of being pushed onto the track.

http://c1803302.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/9853db0e-a8b0-43e2-b66a-f24d4d9a1122.jpg

Cacafuego
12-31-2012, 10:40 PM
What I've never understood is why there isn't some kind of crawlspace under the platform, so if someone ends up down there there's somewhere to go.

CCT125US
12-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Maybe if subways came with FPBS (falling person block safety) or grip safetys that would only allow a speading train to pass if everyone is holding on tight.

SecondsCount
01-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Maybe if subways came with FPBS (falling person block safety) or grip safetys that would only allow a speading train to pass if everyone is holding on tight.

You cannot stop a train quick enough for a safety device to matter.

jon volk
01-01-2013, 01:27 AM

.....or a Gadget.

TCinVA
01-01-2013, 03:20 PM

In one of life's great ironies, those who insist on regulatory intervention on even the most minute aspects of daily life will insist that the cost benefit analysis doesn't favor making massive expensive and inconvenient changes to prevent this phenomenon.

BaiHu
01-01-2013, 03:30 PM
That's because 24 oz cokes put a larger burden on health care, whereas dead people on subway tracks don't ;)

It's always about control over safety or prevention. Putting a gate up doesn't control anyone does it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2