PDA

View Full Version : Video Recording Practice

KentF
04-07-2011, 07:10 AM
I won't have much time this weekend to practice, but I plan on shooting some 3x5 card drills and want to record this. I have a few questions:

What is the best angle to record from?

Should I record myself full length or from waist up?

Should the target be included in the recording?

Any other advise?

Thanks

Frank B
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Depending on what you want to record, 90 degrees works good for me. (Press out)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetfire
04-07-2011, 11:09 AM
The answer to that is "what do you want to record?" I spend a lot of time filming shooting, and there are things you can learn from any camera angle. IMO, the best "all-around" angle is 45 degrees behind your strong side. This way you can see your draw, see your relation to the target, etc. If possible, have two cameras - the second one should then be mounted downrange and offset a little bit. I learned a lot from watching remote downrange videos of myself.

irishshooter
04-26-2011, 03:40 PM
Caleb, saw your down range tv post from Sig Suer on facebook. nice run with the 250. what type of POV camera are you using?

jetfire
04-26-2011, 04:44 PM
The POV camera is a GoPro SD; it's a little heavy to wear for the duration of a match so I usually take it on and off inbetween stages.

Pennzoil
04-30-2011, 02:33 PM
If not moving on the drill I tend to like 90 more then 45 degrees anymore so I can see draw/trigger press/reload. Then just comment/cuss on video if I have misses with location after drill if not using two cameras. If moving I like the 45 degree angle with camera on the target.

I'm big on recording my practice and taking pictures for feedback as it's free. Also I'm more critical of myself then my training partners are so it helps concentrating on improving all around not just the obvious things.

Here is a example of how I like the video when working on non moving drills but everyone's preferences are probably different. 2nd FAST drill with after switching to M&P at 90 degrees and I have a lot I want to work on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4a7tInJuvI

Side note: Caleb I like your Down Zero show. TBH I would subscribe even if it sucked though being prior CG also.