PDA

View Full Version : Top Shot

F-Trooper05
04-06-2011, 01:57 AM
Does anyone know what fraternity George got rejected from before he joined the Chair Force and declared himself a badass?

Wheeler
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know what fraternity George got rejected from before he joined the Chair Force and declared himself a badass?

LMAO!!!:cool: :rolleyes: :p ;)

LOKNLOD
04-06-2011, 04:54 PM
George is a funny guy, every sentence is like some kind of internet meme slang demonstration. I think heard him say "Failboat" last night even. But boy does he sure come off as a douchebag on TV.

jetfire
04-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I like George. It's nice to see someone who talks about how awesome he is and can back it up.

orionz06
04-06-2011, 05:06 PM
George is a funny guy, every sentence is like some kind of internet meme slang demonstration. I think heard him say "Failboat" last night even. But boy does he sure come off as a douchebag on TV.

Just a weeee little bit.

Wheeler
04-06-2011, 05:36 PM
George seems to me to be the kind of guy that would be great to hang out with at the range or over a beer.

He comes off as arrogant, uncaring, ond overly impressed with himself in front of the camera though.

Wheeler

SecondsCount
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I like George. It's nice to see someone who talks about how awesome he is and can back it up.

As much as the guy runs his mouth you have to admit to the fact that he can perform.

John Ralston
04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
As much as the guy runs his mouth you have to admit to the fact that he can perform.

Liberace could perform as well - didn't care for him either.

VolGrad
04-06-2011, 08:36 PM
George seems to me to be the kind of guy that would be great to hang out with at the range or over a beer.
Not me. I have no need to hang out with a guy like that.

He's a bully. He seems to have manipulated all the other MIL guys in the house to his way of thinking.

I feel bad for Jamie. Hell, he's a MIL guy too and for whatever reason George has pitted everyone against him. I haven't really seen anyone else dog Jamie except George. George has said, "no one likes Jamie" but I haven't seen that. They all just seem to follow George's lead. :confused:

Sack up dudes. Think for yourselves or you'll be next on his radar.

JV_
04-06-2011, 08:40 PM
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in the house AND watch it on TV. I'd like to see how much of our opinion is influenced by the editor of the show, versus what they are really like.

Wheeler
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Not me. I have no need to hang out with a guy like that.

He's a bully. He seems to have manipulated all the other MIL guys in the house to his way of thinking.

I feel bad for Jamie. Hell, he's a MIL guy too and for whatever reason George has pitted everyone against him. I haven't really seen anyone else dog Jamie except George. George has said, "no one likes Jamie" but I haven't seen that. They all just seem to follow George's lead. :confused:

Sack up dudes. Think for yourselves or you'll be next on his radar.

When I said hang with over a beer or at the range, that doesn't mean (to me), that I would drink his brand of koolaid. I figure that I can learn something from ANYONE, regardless of what I think of them. I realize I wasn't very clear when I said that, sorry for the murky statement.

Wheeler

jlw
04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I've been watching it, and I watched it last year. Last year I couldn't understand why they kept sending the young guy to elimination when the mounted shooter never performed, and the young guy kept sending home good shooters. It really hurt that team in the long run.

This year, they definitely have been choosing buddies over performance. Jamie has outperformed Ashley in pretty much every competition, but they have it out for Jamie. What has Joe really shown to be so protective of him. At this point, I hope Jamie eliminates them in turn and keeps collecting the $2k cards.

At this point, I think the Gunny is the favorite to win.

I don't care for the meat head, but he does come up with some funny stuff.

VolGrad
04-07-2011, 06:44 AM
At this point, I think the Gunny is the favorite to win.

I don't care for the meat head, but he does come up with some funny stuff.

Agree.
Agree. He said he was going to sit back and watch everyone failboat. WTF does that even mean? :p I watched the 1000yrd shot episode last night on DVR and it was funny that both Jamie and Gunny beat him. He kept going on and on about one shot, one kill. Fantastic ... except both the other guys killed their guy faster. I know, I know ... in reality after their first miss the BG might have taken cover and thus they would have been "failboat" but it's a game. I just wanted to hear Colby say that Jamie had beat George in the challenge but it was never mentioned on camera, only that Gunny beat him.

jlw
04-07-2011, 07:13 AM
Agree.
Agree. He said he was going to sit back and watch everyone failboat. WTF does that even mean? :p I watched the 1000yrd shot episode last night on DVR and it was funny that both Jamie and Gunny beat him. He kept going on and on about one shot, one kill. Fantastic ... except both the other guys killed their guy faster. I know, I know ... in reality after their first miss the BG might have taken cover and thus they would have been "failboat" but it's a game. I just wanted to hear Colby say that Jamie had beat George in the challenge but it was never mentioned on camera, only that Gunny beat him.

For starters, they shouldn't have allowed the shooters to watch each other if they wanted it to be a truly fair contest. The first shooter had to go into it blind; so, the other shooters should have had to do so as well.

The meathead does get some bragging rights on this one, but contest was hitting the target in the fastest time and not the least number of shots.

LOKNLOD
04-07-2011, 08:26 AM
For starters, they shouldn't have allowed the shooters to watch each other if they wanted it to be a truly fair contest. The first shooter had to go into it blind; so, the other shooters should have had to do so as well.

I agree - by the time you see a couple guys walk it in from left to right, you've got a big advantage.

jlw
04-07-2011, 09:10 AM
I agree - by the time you see a couple guys walk it in from left to right, you've got a big advantage.

Especially for a trained sniper with experience on the platform.

JV_
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM

It's an advantage as long as you know what their wind call/correction was - and they may have held for wind and not dialed it. You could have watched the wind and known that it was going to provide some significant drift.

I certainly wouldn't shoot in windy conditions without some wind correction (unless cross winds canceled each other out), and I'm not going to make it known to anyone who hadn't shot yet. It's kind of an important point. Assuming they all shot it straight up is a big assumption.

fuse
04-07-2011, 10:26 AM

when he saw the .50 he said he got a broner.

the next time they vote, I want Jamie to say "I vote for George" and then turn around and literally put a round into George.

for some reason I don't think that would air.

also from another forum, some insight from someone who is far more knowledgeable than I.

Fucking drama queens. 40mph wind bullshit! There was probably a 15mph
wind at best at the FFP and it looked like a perfect headwind from the
flags they had up. The wind at the target was like 4-5 mph at best and
also a headwind, as you could see from the dust kicked up in the berm
and flag they had out there. What a bunch of flaming noobs. Hitting a
3 moa target in relatively easy conditions with a fucking .50bmg
shouldn't be a big deal. We shoot further than that at smaller targets
and often in worse wind.

The flags are the biggest clue. They were definitely blowing, but their angle indicates a wind speed of high teens to the low 20s. Also, a wind speed in the high 20s and above is noticeably tough to walk around in. I don't mean it'll blow you over, but you notice it when you stand and move, and none of them appeared to have any trouble with that at all. In a 40mph wind they'd have been seriously effected by that, as well as having their hats blown off and all.

I'm pretty sad to see Jay go, actually.

fuse
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
here is another, from http://community.history.com/topic/31463/t/George-Reinas.html?page=14

USAFCATMALL wrote:
As an AF Combat Arms instructor who has retired from active service, but am still in the career field as an AF Civilian, I thought I needed to chime in. The entire section watches the show and we recap what happened the next morning. As such we wanted to set the record straight on a few issues.

1.) For anyone who thinks that George is a Combat Arms Instructor (CATM) he is not! He is an instructor at a Regional Training Center and nothing more. Any AF Security Forces airman can apply for one of those positions and get the posting. They teach you everything you need to know once you get there. This is not to say that they are not subject matter experts at certain aspects of their jobs, but George’s bio says he is a “Heavy weapons combat instructor” That is a CATM function not regular Cadre. Although every career field has it’s bad apples, we true CATM professionals do not claim SSgt Reinas.
2.) There is no such thing as an Air Force Sniper. The course that George went through is called CPEC ( Close Precision Engagement Course) which was at one time ran by Air National Guard personnel in Arkansas, but has since been moved to El Paso. Even if an airman attends and passes the Army or Marine Corps sniper courses they are still not considered snipers by the Air Force, they are considered Sharpshooters/ Designated Marksman. As to his claim that he is a sniper instructor, former CPEC students are brought back to help the REAL instructors, this does not make the former students instructors.
3.) As to the claim that he regularly curls 200 pounds, that is ridiculous and anyone who lifts weights knows it, if you want to challenge this I suggest you check out this link about the curl world record…http://wiki.answers.com/Q..._record_for_a_bicep_curl or this you tube link…http://www.youtube.com/wa...2k6M&feature=related

jetfire
04-07-2011, 10:57 AM
As a general rule, a lot of the stuff that gets into history channel bios for the contestants is...filtered through the History channel itself. The average non-mil viewer isn't going to know the difference between a sniper and a designated marksman, so it's quite likely that all of that sniper stuff in his bio is History dumbing down his actual resume.

When you apply for Top Shot, if you make it to a certain point you have to fill out a fairly detailed packet of info with your military and shooting background. While you could lie on it, I'm hard-pressed to see the point, since the producers actually check that stuff anyway.

LOKNLOD
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
when he saw the .50 he said he got a broner.

the next time they vote, I want Jamie to say "I vote for George" and then turn around and literally put a round into George.

I'm pretty sad to see Jay go, actually.

I forgot about "broner". :rolleyes:

Early on, I kind of hoped George would kill Jay and then they'd both be off the show....
But I admit Jay grew on me a little toward the end.

JM Campbell
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
It's reality TV right?

Insert name here.... + Insert whatever drama producers want here.... = Ratings

This is entertainment TV not given fact, some people can't hit a target on their worst day it does not make them a bad shooter. If that was true how many FAST times would be negated over overall shooting performance.

Every show needs to hit the main stigmatas of reality TV with the very culture types within the show partakers ie... meathead, pretty boy, bubba, old school mil, world champ...ect.

At least it's not like the House Wives of Where Ever shows.

Just my off shot take on a TV show.

jetfire
04-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Speaking of Jay, I'll be interviewing him live tonight at 8pm Pacific time on Gun Nuts Radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gunnuts).

orionz06
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Speaking of Jay, I'll be interviewing him live tonight at 8pm Pacific time on Gun Nuts Radio (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/gunnuts).

Is this gonna be live only or available after that time?

jetfire
04-07-2011, 12:04 PM
It'll be available for download at the site linked, as well as on iTunes (http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gun-nuts-radio-blog-talk-radio/id302602158?uo=4) the following day.

orionz06
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Cool, gotta love technology.

jlw
04-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I forgot about "broner". :rolleyes:

Early on, I kind of hoped George would kill Jay and then they'd both be off the show....
But I admit Jay grew on me a little toward the end.

Don't forget, "On a scale of 1 to 10, that was an eleventy."

David
04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg10/imdavid/Popcorn.gif

jlw
04-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Caleb,

Very good interview with Jay Lim. It really shed light on a lot of things.

I actually hope he sticks with shooting instead of moving on to something else. He might really turn some heads in the shooting world with some instruction.

jar
04-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Caleb,

Very good interview with Jay Lim. It really shed light on a lot of things.

I actually hope he sticks with shooting instead of moving on to something else. He might really turn some heads in the shooting world with some instruction.

+1. I wish you hadn't had a time limit on the interview. I would've liked to hear about what he's doing now shooting wise and if he's tried any USPSA. He did say that he's since changed his grip.

jetfire
04-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree with both of you guys, that was an interview that could have gone for at least an hour if not longer.

The interview really changed my opinion on Jay as well; I should have known better from my own experience, but I was really expecting him to be contrarian. Instead, he was a great interviewee!

orionz06
04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I agree with both of you guys, that was an interview that could have gone for at least an hour if not longer.

The interview really changed my opinion on Jay as well; I should have known better from my own experience, but I was really expecting him to be contrarian. Instead, he was a great interviewee!

Great interview. Jay does sound like a really cool guy, far different than he was edited to be.

I hope he continues to shoot and gets some instruction. He seems to have an approach to everything that could have him becoming a great shooter very quickly.

John Ralston
04-08-2011, 08:37 PM
I did find his comment about the cop "Checking out my NSX" a bit Narcissistic, but he did seem a bit more normal than portrayed on the show.

jetfire
04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
The cop was checking out his NSX, though.

LOKNLOD
04-09-2011, 03:01 PM
I've never listened to Caleb's show, but after this thread i downloaded the most recent few episodes and since I was in the truck for about 5 hours yesterday, I gave a listen. I really enjoyed the interviews with the last few contestants, especially Jay. I take back any bad things I'd said about him, both because of his answers and the statements the other competitors made about him.

Generally speaking, I think that anyone who talks on the radio for a purpose other than to tell me traffic/weather and the name of the song should be dragged out into the street and shot in public, so for me to spend several hours listening to a talk-radio kind of format in the truck yesterday, you must be on to something, Caleb! I'm looking forward to future episodes - I just subscribed on my Zune.

Just kidding, I didn't just double the Zune listenership.

3-7-77
04-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Caleb, are you going to have an interview with Ashley?

LOKNLOD
04-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Caleb, are you going to have an interview with Ashley?

It was mentioned in one of the earlier podcasts that Ashley was currently deployed to Afghanistan so there probably wouldn't be a interview when he got eliminated. Of course I haven't checked iTunes to see if a new podcast was out this week, either.

jlw
04-16-2011, 10:07 PM
I loved how the other guys were all set to send Jamie to elimination, but once he got immunity certain others started beating the "performance" drum.

After Ashley's outburst, I was glad to see him eliminated. HE really hasn't been a strong performer throughout the show. Joe manned up and tried to make things right. Chris manned up drawing the line at such disrespectful behavior.

At this point, I want to see Jamie, Chris, and Joe make it to the final show with preference for Jamie winning it.

NickDrak
04-16-2011, 10:08 PM
I really liked Ashley until the last show when he got eliminated by Joe. His attempt at bullying Jaime with his "fake ass" comment after Jaime outshot everyone was pathetic and disappointing.

jetfire
04-16-2011, 10:16 PM
I did actually do an interview with Ashley, however we had some technical (and physical) issues with getting it aired on Thursday. I have a transcript of which I'll post the good bits on Monday on the blog. Of course, if you followed Gun Nuts Radio on Facebook (http://facebook.com/gunnutsradio) you'd already know that.

Wheeler
04-17-2011, 12:01 AM
I did actually do an interview with Ashley, however we had some technical (and physical) issues with getting it aired on Thursday. I have a transcript of which I'll post the good bits on Monday on the blog. Of course, if you followed Gun Nuts Radio on Facebook (http://facebook.com/gunnutsradio) you'd already know that.

Taking your subtle hint, I started to follow Gun Nuts Radio on FB :) Good stuff.

Wheeler

jetfire
04-17-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure that there isn't anything about me that people would describe as "subtle". ;)