PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 SF vs Gen 4

joseywales10
12-28-2012, 06:21 PM
I live in a mag restricted state and I know a recent post semi touched on this, but would you guys recommend a 21 SF or a 21 gen 4? Assuming both fit my hand about the same and focusing on function/reliability. Stuck with 10 rounders here.

Kind Regards

JBP55
12-28-2012, 06:55 PM
I prefer the Gen 4 Glocks.

breakingtime91
12-28-2012, 09:14 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about the gen 4 21s. If your dead set on a glock get it, my primary auto is a g17, but if you haven't already take a good hard look at the hk45 or hk45c. I wish I would of looked at the p30 more for a 9mm and wouldn't hesitate to trade off my g17 for a p30 or a hk45c if I got the chance.

jetfire
12-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I spent a bunch of time with a Gen 4 Glock 21 earlier this year, and it jumped to the top of my list of polymer 45s. I had a Gen3 SF as a backup and I just liked the Gen 4 better.

BigT
12-29-2012, 02:44 AM
I sold off my 21SF very quickly but will be hanging on to my Gen4.

JHC
12-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I sold off my 21SF very quickly but will be hanging on to my Gen4.

Why? I have a RTF2 G21SF that's sweet but am very keen to hear more about your preference.

VolGrad
12-29-2012, 02:32 PM
I have owned both and prefer the gen4.

That being said I would choose a M&P45 full size or compact over the GLOCK,especially if I were limited by ma capacity.

jetfire
12-29-2012, 05:37 PM
If mag capacity were an issue, I'd go with an HK45c all day.

JHC
12-29-2012, 08:53 PM
So is it recoil characteristics that tip the pref for the Gen 4?

GJM
12-29-2012, 09:09 PM

I shot a HK45 and 45C today, in part thinking about the magazine capacity thread. I find the 45C quite difficult to shoot as well as the HK45, because of the short grip. If I wanted a larger caliber -- based on how well I shoot them, I would choose an HK P30 LEM .40, then an HK45 and the 45C last.

I really like the Gen 4 20 and 21, and feel they are improvements over the SF, by virtue of their texture, mag release and the new RSA, which at least anecdotally, seems more accurate.

jetfire
12-29-2012, 09:38 PM
So is it recoil characteristics that tip the pref for the Gen 4?

It's also a lot grippier than the old Gen 3, unless you have an RTF2 Gen 3. If I had an RTF2 Gen 3 21SF, I'd probably go with that; then the Gen 4 21, then something else like an M&P or XDm. Sort of related, the big reason why I don't recommend the HK45c UNLESS you live in a state with mag restrictions is because the grip is slicker than snot and really needs to have skate tape or a stippling job. Plus for the size of it, a commander sized 1911 with good stocks would work just as well and be sexier.

JonInWA
12-30-2012, 09:11 AM
It's also a lot grippier than the old Gen 3, unless you have an RTF2 Gen 3. If I had an RTF2 Gen 3 21SF, I'd probably go with that; then the Gen 4 21, then something else like an M&P or XDm. Sort of related, the big reason why I don't recommend the HK45c UNLESS you live in a state with mag restrictions is because the grip is slicker than snot and really needs to have skate tape or a stippling job. Plus for the size of it, a commander sized 1911 with good stocks would work just as well and be sexier.

True, but an HK45C has operator and/or factory induced trigger options, is more weather impervious, less maintenance/lubrication intensive, and is actually closer to what Dave Hackathorn/Larry Vickers conceptualized. After all that's said, it's with the full realization that my custom spec'ced Highthawk Talon II with its VZ grips is not in the least threatenened...that may be part of the "sexier" aspect.

Best, Jon

Kevin B.
12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I really like the Gen 4 20 and 21, and feel they are improvements over the SF, by virtue of their texture, mag release and the new RSA, which at least anecdotally, seems more accurate.

I have a Gen 3 21SF and have put about 500 rounds through a Gen 4 21. I agree with this statement.

GJM
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM
Comparing an HK45C to a G21 is not an apples to apples comparison -- the 45C is more analogous to the Glock 30.

Given a choice, I would take the HK45 over a G21, and a 45C over a G30, due to the HK benefits Jon points out. To me, the place the large frame Glock makes sense is in 10mm, where the ability to shoot loads better on four legged creatures seems a reasonable trade off over the greater recoil, reduced capacity and lower shootability of the larger frame pistols compared to their 9/40 cousins.

Super J
12-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Had a brand new gen 4 21. It was fairly soft shooting and very accurate. Problem that I had with it was extremely weak ejection and brass to the face

ST911
12-30-2012, 07:06 PM
The gen4 G21 makes the 21SF largely obsolete, for the reasons others post. Already a soft shooter with a nice recoil "push", the new RSA makes the gen4 even more user friendly. Still a big gun, but very agreeable.

deeHKman
01-01-2013, 06:01 PM

Same for me!! I usually shoot fulsize gun's better with xl hand's but my edc HK45c does outstanding!!
I had a rtf2 G21 and sold it to buy another HK but it was a nice .45...

Up1911Fan
01-01-2013, 06:23 PM
and is actually closer to what Dave Hackathorn/Larry Vickers

Who's Dave Hackathorn?

JAD
01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Who's Dave Hackathorn?

I didn't know either, but I bet most geese do:
https://www.hevishot.com/index.php?option=com_comprofiler&task=userprofile&user=84&Itemid=74

BigT
01-02-2013, 02:46 AM
Why? I have a RTF2 G21SF that's sweet but am very keen to hear more about your preference.

I much prefered the texture of the Gen4 to the Gen3's Granted purely for shooting RTF2 is even better , but for me RTF doesnt work for carry against bare skin and the 21SF RTF was afaik only available in the US.

I know Glock say the dimensions of the SF and Gen4 are the same but I dont believe them. I find I can get a better grip on the Gen4 especially one handed.

I prefer the recoil characteristics of the Gen4and I find the mag release is better for me too.

Chuck Haggard
01-02-2013, 03:27 AM
Who's Dave Hackathorn?

Pretty sure he meant Ken.

JonInWA
01-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Pretty sure he meant Ken.

Yeah-my bad!

Best, Jon

JonInWA
01-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Comparing an HK45C to a G21 is not an apples to apples comparison -- the 45C is more analogous to the Glock 30.

Given a choice, I would take the HK45 over a G21, and a 45C over a G30, due to the HK benefits Jon points out. To me, the place the large frame Glock makes sense is in 10mm, where the ability to shoot loads better on four legged creatures seems a reasonable trade off over the greater recoil, reduced capacity and lower shootability of the larger frame pistols compared to their 9/40 cousins.

To an extent I'm hoisted on my own petard (and I'm not going to provide the anatomical definition of "petard"...) on this-I stand behind the favorable comments regarding the HK45/45C, but I've personally chosen to remain with my 2002-production Gen 3 "big butt" G21, that I bought brand new in 2004, and have used extensively since. Yes the HK's provide a superior out-of-the-box ergos, but frankly I index quite well with the G21, so that's a non-issue with me; plus I have years of Glock platform experience, so there's the platform commonality advantage for me.

I frankly think that the HK 45/45C, part for part are a higher quality gun than the Glock-but that the Glock is more than good enough, and good enough for at least 40K rounds. The Glock is FAR easier to detail strip and provide operator component switchouts to the fire control system. And then there's the price differential, with the Glock being literally about half the price of the HK, especially if one can take advantage of Glock's Homeland Defender incentive.

I look at the HK45 and HK45C in different niches, at least as far as I'm personally concerned; I see the HK45 as a competitor/analog to the G21, and the HK45C as a competitor/analog to my...Nighthawk Custom Talon II 1911 (i.e., Nighthawk's Combat Commander offering). But that's just me.

Mods to my G21: Steel Glock sights, updated triggerbar, dot connector, updated OEM zytel recoil spring rod/assembly, and a mountain bike innertube segment over the receiver grip to reduce slipperiness from wet/perspriing hands-and that's it. And yes, I'm one of those arguably sick and deficient individuals who actually manages to do well with the Glock OEM sight picture-hence the Glock steel sights (hey, I may be unrepentant, but I definitely wanted the durability of steel sights).

Today I recommend the Gen4 G21 as first choice in the G21 lineup-it's performing quite well by all reports I've come across, and you can somewhat tailor it to your individual grip preferences as needed, and due to the better gripping surfaces, you don't need to go the inner tube route.

Best, Jon