PDA

View Full Version : RWS 124 gr "match grade" 9mm

JHC
12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
We're about half way through a case of this load. I've never used RWS 9mm before (made in Hungary). I'm very impressed with its accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. My older son shot multiple 5 shot offhand 25 yd groups of 2-4" and 5 shot 50 yard groups around 6" offhand. I'd rate it more accurate than any bulk FMC ammo I've tried recently with the possible exception of the 147 grain AE load.

We did have one dead primer that would not ignite in either of two Glocks that have never had an ignition issue before.

Downside is it was a bit more expensive at $279 incl tax.

dsa
12-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Is there any chance that you can chrono this stuff? I am curious what the velocity is.

JHC
12-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Is there any chance that you can chrono this stuff? I am curious what the velocity is.

No chance of that. It feels on the hot side FWIW. I should should it side by side with some Win NATO and offer another nearly useless estimation. ;)

JV_
12-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't know about the match ammo, but their sport line is pretty zippy. 124g @ 1150 fps from a 4" barrel:
http://www.ruag-usa.com/products/handgun/rws-sport/

dsa
12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Thanks, I have seen this stuff around from time to time and didn't know much about it. Next time I come across it I am going to pick some up.

Kyle Reese
12-30-2012, 08:33 PM
We're about half way through a case of this load. I've never used RWS 9mm before (made in Hungary). I'm very impressed with its accuracy at 25 and 50 yards. My older son shot multiple 5 shot offhand 25 yd groups of 2-4" and 5 shot 50 yard groups around 6" offhand. I'd rate it more accurate than any bulk FMC ammo I've tried recently with the possible exception of the 147 grain AE load.

We did have one dead primer that would not ignite in either of two Glocks that have never had an ignition issue before.

Downside is it was a bit more expensive at $279 incl tax.

Shot quite a bit of this stuff about three years ago. The primers were very hard, and experienced several Failure to Fire in my Gen 3 Glock 17 during LAV's Carbine/Handgun class in Lewisberry, PA. One might fare better with this ammo using a hammer fired weapon. YMMV & all that.

JHC
12-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Shot quite a bit of this stuff about three years ago. The primers were very hard, and experienced several Failure to Fire in my Gen 3 Glock 17 during LAV's Carbine/Handgun class in Lewisberry, PA. One might fare better with this ammo using a hammer fired weapon. YMMV & all that.

I've got another case cause I could get it and I'll figure there may be a few of those in there. I'll chalk it up to good reactive tap rack training. Good info that that may be a characcteristic.