PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Low Speed High Drag Personal Training

Guinnessman
12-28-2012, 01:54 PM
The week before Christmas I received an email from our friends at Low Speed High Drag with regards to some personal training opportunities on Dec 27th and 28th. I immediately emailed Jay and asked if we could do some refresher pistol training on the 27th. We agreed to go shoot an early morning session in some balmy 30 degree weather.

We started off the two hour session with a thorough safety briefing that detailed emergency procedures, the cardinal rules of gun safety, and Jay really emphasized muzzle discipline since we were shooting handguns that day. It was a great start to our session and it is always nice to hit home the importance of basic safety rules.

After the safety brief, Jay wanted to start the day by shooting some slow fire so he could evaluate my stance, grip, and trigger control. This was the first time that I have had handgun instruction from Jay and he was quick to notice my flaws. Jay has a great eye for detail, and he quickly noted that he had some improvements that needed to be made to my grip and trigger control.

We then started shooting some drills. We ran some trigger control drills, worked on reloads, "Bill" Drills, 3 two 1 drills, dry fire 5 times followed by 1 live fire, and finished with some more dry fire tips. Jay also worked with me on reseting the trigger during recoil and breaking the habit of "riding the reset" in my Glock. Thanks to Jay's trigger control tips my speed increased. All draws were made from concealment thanks to our lovely Pittsburgh weather.

The training that I received from Jay was very thorough and detailed in just a short two hour session. It was great to get out and get some instruction to help me get through the "Winter Time Blues." He gave me several key areas of my technique to work on in the future:

1. Improved Grip
2. Trigger control and reset during recoil
3. Reloads, Reloads, Reloads (I need lots of practice)

It was a great training session with Jay, and I would recommend his training to anyone especially if you are in the Pittsburgh area. Jay greatly improved my reloads, grip, and trigger control in a short 2 hour session. Jay pays great attention to detail and his "No BS" type of instruction will improve your shooting. I look forward to attending some of Jay's classes this year. If you want some great instruction around the Pittsburgh/Tri-State area send Jay an email. You will not regret it!

Jay Cunningham
12-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks much for the kind words.

Shooting in the snow is always fun (at least for me) but it's especially instructive if you've never drawn from heavy concealment (something intended to keep you warm) and/or with gloves on. If you live in a climate with a cold winter and you carry a gun, you might want to get in some practice all jocked-up in your winter jammies... clue!

I highly recommend one-on-one training with a good pistol instructor at least once... yes, it will cost you some money, but a couple of hours with an experienced trainer's eyes focused solely on you can quickly edge you past a performance plateau.

SeriousStudent
12-29-2012, 12:47 PM

I highly recommend one-on-one training with a good pistol instructor at least once... yes, it will cost you some money, but a couple of hours with an experienced trainer's eyes focused solely on you can quickly edge you past a performance plateau.

Most definitely agree, in my very humble opinion. I have convinced a couple I know to do this, and they are setting aside money and ammunition to do so.

If you were learning to drive, working with a qualified instructor one on one is the best ways to become a better driver. It really makes sense to me to do the same with a firearm.

Thanks for the tip on winter clothing, Jay. I'm going to incorporate that into my dry practice session tomorrow.